The Visit (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Attended a launch screening of The Visit last night down here in Melbourne, Australia, which featured an afterwards Q & A with Shyamalan and the two kids in the film, Ed Oxenbould and Olivia DeJonge.

Didn't care much for the kids, and though Shyamalan seemed like a really nice guy, by god this movie sucked. Solid 1/5 and that's being generous.

Should be noted though, it is a horror-comedy, and there were more laughs coming from the audience (that were intended) than there were scares. Almost all the scares were awfully predictable jump scares, and the whole found footage aspect was kind of a bore.

And yes, the movie did have a twist, which I won't spoil here, but it wasn't very exciting. I must admit I didn't see it coming but I'm completely thick and anyone looking for a twist would see it coming from a mile away.

How does it rank with Shyamalan's other work? Well, tbh it's pretty close to the bottom of his filmography. It's much easier to digest than After Earth, and although I haven't seen The Last Airbender I think I'd take a safe guess and say it tops that. Although it's been a while since I've seen either film, I do think that Lady in the Water and The Happening would fare better on repeat viewings.

Overall very disappointed, been rooting for a Shyamalan comeback for years now, and who knows maybe the critical consensus will look upon this one favourably, but I personally just laughed it off. Labor of Love is this guy's last chance of redemption imo.

Oh, and got a signed copy of my Unbreakable blu-ray, which was awesome.

If you guys have any questions, ask away.
I don't think I'll reveal the twist. I didn't sign any embargo form or anything, but figure I'll play nice, given that I had the opportunity to this screening for free, and a month in advance of the release date. Plus you'd see it from a mile away.

NolaNvsNathaN wrote:I don't think I'll reveal the twist.
My guess is we don't have to look much further than the films previous title.

DoubleD wrote:
NolaNvsNathaN wrote:I don't think I'll reveal the twist.
My guess is we don't have to look much further than the films previous title.

You're wrong, but good guess.
It's much more simple than that.

From the people who have seen the movie already, this is the first negative review.
I will have to see this for myself. Just two more weeks.

Erik wrote:From the people who have seen the movie already, this is the first negative review.
I will have to see this for myself. Just two more weeks.

Definitely. This looks to be much more appreciated and you know what? I hope it scores high on the tomatometer, so that people start getting behind him again, and after a while we'll get another masterpiece like Unbreakable. It's gonna be a slow road back to greatness for Shyamalan.

You know, I feel that the real return of Shyamalan will take a while. I think that his movies will rather slowely become better and then he'll make a huge hit like The Sixth Sense than return in one movie from a couple bad ones to a masterpiece. Lately, I felt the Shyamalan-signature feeling in two projects that he did: Devil and Wayward Pines. I thought Wayward Pines was very good and I enjoyed it very much. It has that same kind of slow storytelling that Shyamalan used in his four movies for Disney. After he left Disney it kinda went another way, with The Last Airbender and After Earth not even being projects of his own.

I don't think The Visit will mark his return, but I do hope that it'll manage to stay above 6.0 / 60% on Imdb/RT. Then maybe his next project will be it?

Based on early reviews, this actually might be descent.
Ofcourse there are some people that didn't like the movie (there isn't a movie that everybody in the world likes anyway), but scores given on Imdb are actually pretty good. A good amount of people rated the movie between a 7 and 8. I'll watch this on Thursday!

Erik wrote:Based on early reviews, this actually might be descent.
Ofcourse there are some people that didn't like the movie (there isn't a movie that everybody in the world likes anyway), but scores given on Imdb are actually pretty good. A good amount of people rated the movie between a 7 and 8. I'll watch this on Thursday!
:blank:

er,

this has a 100%

there's only 5 reviews and it's like 6/10 avg rating but like

still

-Vader

Lol the twist to this movie