Arrival (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'd recommend to everybody Kill the Messenger. Not quite the powerhouse performance I wanted out of Renner, but it shows off how he's able to approach each role differently.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
Nomis wrote:It's that Ian doesn't work that well on paper but damn, they really should've gotten a better actor to play him. I think someone like Gyllenhaal or Bale would've done so much more with so little.
waaaait, what? Renner aint inferior to those two. And he's great here.
He might not be, but he hasn't showcased it yet. Sure, his performance in Hurt Locker was nuanced and his performance in The Town was pretty damn good but other than that, not so much. I really think it would've improved the film if they got someone better to play Ian. Like the examples I gave.

Also allstar, :roll:

Nomis wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:
Nomis wrote:It's that Ian doesn't work that well on paper but damn, they really should've gotten a better actor to play him. I think someone like Gyllenhaal or Bale would've done so much more with so little.
waaaait, what? Renner aint inferior to those two. And he's great here.
He might not be, but he hasn't showcased it yet. Sure, his performance in Hurt Locker was nuanced and his performance in The Town was pretty damn good but other than that, not so much. I really think it would've improved the film if they got someone better to play Ian. Like the examples I gave.

Also allstar, :roll:
My main problem isn't necessarily the acting. It's the chemistry between them. They should have casted someone who could sell that love between them in a much better way. Renner's delivery with Adams was pretty wooden if I'm going to be very honest. Jeremy Renner is a good actor, he's just known mainly for His action roles. Something that's not really needed in this movie. It's a miscast for sure.

BlairCo wrote:I'd recommend to everybody Kill the Messenger. Not quite the powerhouse performance I wanted out of Renner, but it shows off how he's able to approach each role differently.
He was great in that. Underrated film, I was surprised how few people ever talked about it...

Rewatched this today. So many things that confused me the first time around were so clear this time. The emotional payoff of all the themes introduced are so strong and effective, and the movie has just as many questions for the audience than we have for the movie. Adams is getting nominated so hard for this. Renner has a nice grasp on his character, but I think it's the writing of said character that doesn't work too well. Whitaker's character bothers me quite a bit. If Nolan were to make a small-budget Sci-Fi film, this is exactly what it would be like. But Villeneuve has planted his flag very confidently into the ground of cinema, with a bright career ahead of him.

ArmandFancypants wrote:How are his turns in The Hurt Locker and American Hustle and The Town remotely similar? Or North Country? Even his sturdy everyman in the Avengers films is different to his fraidy-cat nervy dude in the Mission: Impossible films.
Let's just say that you mentioned 6 movies out of around 25+ that I've seen from him. I think that fits under "with the exception of a couple films".

Regardless of that I don't agree with your statement at all. But like I said, 6/25 fits my case. Let's move on now.

RIFA wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:How are his turns in The Hurt Locker and American Hustle and The Town remotely similar? Or North Country? Even his sturdy everyman in the Avengers films is different to his fraidy-cat nervy dude in the Mission: Impossible films.
Let's just say that you mentioned 6 movies out of around 25+ that I've seen from him. I think that fits under "with the exception of a couple films".

Regardless of that I don't agree with your statement at all. But like I said, 6/25 fits my case. Let's move on now.
You've seen 25 of the 31 films Jeremy Renner has been in?

Must be a big fan. What are the 6 you've missed, I wonder?

Jesus, 25 films with Jeremy Renner? I don't think Jeremy Renner has seen that many films with himself.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
RIFA wrote:

You've seen 25 of the 31 films Jeremy Renner has been in?

Must be a big fan. What are the 6 you've missed, I wonder?
Give or take yes. Quite a bunch I know. Not a fan of his in particular but a fan of film and acting in general. Then again you have no idea how many movies I've seen. And when I'm interested in someone I will go through everything I can find from their portfolio. So I got most of his work covered yeah.