Sandman (TBD)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I think it's incredibly hard to make a film of Sandman, not really surprised they haven't officially announced a date yet.

Nomis1700 wrote:I think it's incredibly hard to make a film of Sandman, not really surprised they haven't officially announced a date yet.
I think it's impossible to adapt The Sandman into a feature film (especially if directed and starred by JGL). A well produced TV series would be the appropriate format.

When it comes to storytelling I'd say yes. But when it comes to the visual nature of the source material, I'd say it better fits a feature film adaptation $$$

Nomis1700 wrote:When it comes to storytelling I'd say yes. But when it comes to the visual nature of the source material, I'd say it better fits a feature film adaptation $$$
Way I see it, a film is a major one-shot $ investment, so every aspect of it must be aimed to make money. That means compromises, a whole lot of compromises. Although a film would look spectacular, the writing is the main element, and in a film, that would surely suffer due to the prolific nature of the source material and of course, in order to make it as profitable as possible. On the other hand, a TV series can look great too, it would no doubt have a lot more freedom of adaptation and, if it fails financially, it can be cancelled at any time. Nowadays, with the high level standard of what's been done on TV (Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, etc.), there's a lot more assurance that a TV series would be the most perfect and faithful way to produce The Sandman.

Why not both? Make a trilogy from volumes of arch books and a TV show from volumes of episodic stories. Which again puts me in a dilemma cause even though I'm okay with Dream Country and Fables & Reflections as TV shows, Worlds' End has few moments which would only work on IMAX screen.

Pratham wrote:Why not both? Make a trilogy from volumes of arch books and a TV show from volumes of episodic stories. Which again puts me in a dilemma cause even though I'm okay with Dream Country and Fables & Reflections as TV shows, Worlds' End has few moments which would only work on IMAX screen.
You're idea is a dream.

JGL:
“Been doing a lot of work with David Goyer and Jack Thorne, working on the screenplay. We’ve been doing our meetings at the DC office, which is a frickin rad place to work. Also just had a great conversation last week with David and Mr. Gaiman. Neil has been extremely big hearted with me, and he’s the one I want to please most.”
Goyer:
“I hesitate to definitively say when it might go before the cameras, but the one thing different between other iterations and ours is that Neil Gaiman has been in the room with us and is a vital part of the team. We have a draft Warners is very happy with and we’re moving forward, knock on wood.”
http://collider.com/sandman-movie-updat ... d-s-goyer/

JGL said WB is happy with the current script and Gaiman's been involved every step of the way.

SilverHeart wrote:JGL said WB is happy with the current script and Gaiman's been involved every step of the way.
Wow it's like that was literally just posted 10 minutes ago! No way!

Fuck off I didn't see it.