Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 3:07 pm
Goblin's not too bad considering it being rooted in the Ultimate design.

And the animation never made my head hurt or bothered me. Not getting the complaint but to each their own.
I understand the roots but the thing is... I didn't really like his Ultimate design in the first place, always thought he was too big. You know who was a pleasant surprise and actual upgrade in comparison to his cb roots? Prowler. Sooo good.🕷

I always really liked Hobgoblin ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I saw the first couple of minutes after Venom, and I thought it looked really cool in 3D.

@m4: I gotcha. I grew up reading Ultimate Spider-Man, so maybe I'm just used to Norman being like that. Spidey calling him "Norman" like in USM was a nice touch.

@Nomis: It isn't Hobgoblin. (Or are you just saying you prefer HG to GG?)

Green Goblin's Ultimate design (Miles' universe) looks like this in the comics:

It's quite the shift from the classic look, but Bendis wrote him the same and made it feel more natural.

The Goblin in this is like the Ultimate look + wings...and twice the size.

Kingpin has one of the worst animated character designs I've ever seen for a movie. I dug the voice of Liev Schreiber, but I thought the design of his character was over-the-top. He's the bad guy, so guess what?! He's gonna have a body that is wider than it is taller! How does he walk through a door with a body that looks like he ate 7 other characters in the movie? Doesn't matter because it is animated!

It's an exaggerated look like one out of the comics. Of course it's over-the-top.
Look at the size of this guy's hands relative to his body/face. And this is the version of the character seen as the most terrifying and famous.

Blair do you have it out for this movie or something? /s

I wouldn't say I do. As I said before, if you strip back the novelty of multiple Spider-People coming from different Universes, there is not much else in this movie that feels fresh. The Miles Morales origin story follows the beat-for-beat formula of the origin story which I have seen before and have finally become annoyed with. If anything, I was kind of more interested in seeing a middle-aged Peter Parker going through a mid-life crisis; I have not seen that before in a superhero movie before. Instead, we just get the same recycled origin story.

While I do give the movie some credit in being different to other animated movies, there were some visuals that really annoyed me. The universe glitching thing immediately got on my nerves right from the get-go, and it didn't help that the cinema I saw it in was so fucking loud.

I celebrate that people are loving this movie, but for me, I cannot deny that listening to the praise for this movie makes me feel like I'm on another planet. Just like what Vader said, I feel like the general praise for this movie is somewhat exaggerated for the reasons I have stated above.

Allstar wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 11:54 am
Gonna see it soon but found your comment on the animation interesting. From the trailers I remember some parts looking kind of cheap? I mean the reviews seem to say that is completely inaccurate for the most part.
Shot to shot animation has a (purposefully?) lower framerate so movement appears jerky instead of smooth, and I'm very sensitive to motion in general so it (somewhat) bothered me, and that's part of where the "cheap" factor comes into play.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 12:00 pm
the old comic book look actually hurt my eyes for the first half hour to the point where i thought that we were watching a 3d movie without glasses

the red/blue double images kinda sucked imo
The other factor is this... for the first 15 minutes I thought something was off with the DCP...since instead of shots being out of focus, backgrounds often look like 3D without your glasses on but I did eventually settle into it.

That said, this is visually one of the most daring, fun, and exciting changes in animation style in years, and in general I adored the look. it's just that every choice didn't click for me and that's okay.

-Vader

BlairCo wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 4:52 pm
I wouldn't say I do. As I said before, if you strip back the novelty of multiple Spider-People coming from different Universes, there is not much else in this movie that feels fresh. The Miles Morales origin story follows the beat-for-beat formula of the origin story which I have seen before and have finally become annoyed with. If anything, I was kind of more interested in seeing a middle-aged Peter Parker going through a mid-life crisis; I have not seen that before in a superhero movie before. Instead, we just get the same recycled origin story.
But the multiple Spider-People isn't a "novelty" for the reasons you literally just posted. Cutting that out cuts out a significant portion of what makes the film work and what makes the origin story fresh. It allows a different look at Peter Parker, as you just stated you were interested in, while also supplementing Miles' origin story extremely well. And acting like Morales' origin story is one that follows a rigid "beat-for-beat" formula is pretty significant generalizing.
Miles' family dynamic is not really one we've seen before, let alone his uncle being Prowler. We can figure this out based off prior comic knowledge, but that's not the film's fault. It's an aspect of Miles' origin that is unique. Nearly every time the film acts like it could make a derivative or predictable move, it doesn't. Kingpin brutally murders two people on screen, both of which shocked audience members in the theater. When Aaron dies, I figured Jeff would begin to have a predictable vendetta of Spidey, but this never happens and is resolved in the end when he's seen rooting for Miles. The film could have easily milked that "___ thinks hero killed ____" as so many films do, but decided not to. This happens throughout the film.

Not to mention the fact that the aspect of an origin story among a team of already established heroes is relatively new to superhero cinema. It's pretty rare for a superhero to not even have his suit (let alone have control of his powers) until the very last act.
Also, not trying to be rude, but your continued frustration of the movie being "loud" as a fault of the film seems misguided considering it varies theater to theater.

That was it? :?

The praise around this film was ridiculously hyperbolic

@Bacon: I know, I just prefer Hobgoblin over Ultimate Green Goblin. I was never a big fan of the design either. The fire is cool and all but the original Green Goblin is one of the best Spider-Man villains ever and I always really liked the design of the character. And Hobgoblin resembles him so much of course.

I think it's a real pity they never got the design for Dafoe/Goblin truly down in the first Spider-Man film. I think just that is the only thing of making the film better than it already is. I think Raimi's first two Spider-Man films are still fantastic, but I could never really get around Goblin's design. Imagine if they perfected that Orcish like look they were busy with at first, we could've gotten an intensely scary Goblin-look.

As for this film, probably not seeing it this sunday, unfortunately :cry: