Westworld (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ChrisTilford wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
Three timelines?! ...ugh. I think two is enough and even with two I don't see the reason. Much like Bernard reveal, we all saw it coming but what's the real impact, what's the point? Bernard is a lesser character right now, in my opinion. William will be gone if he's MiB, another solid character. Elsie was starting to get interesting, guess what, nowhere to be seen for two episodes. Therese, Clementine... etc. etc.
It's timeframes, not timelines. The former refers to different periods of time in one narrative, while the other refers to alternate universes.

The third is from the time the park was constructed, those sessions with Dolores & 'Arnold', to name a couple. This one is something which needn't be resolved right away. They can add it to the world building in Season 2.
:sick:

-Vader

m4st4 wrote:
Three timelines?! ...ugh. I think two is enough and even with two I don't see the reason. Much like Bernard reveal, we all saw it coming but what's the real impact, what's the point? Bernard is a lesser character right now, in my opinion. William will be gone if he's MiB, another solid character. Elsie was starting to get interesting, guess what, nowhere to be seen for two episodes. Therese, Clementine... etc. etc.
Yea what Chris said. Like The Prestige.
Dolores is having flashbacks of blowing up the village. That's first segment. Just a flashback though. We don't spend much time there.
Couple of years later, she meets William, something happens, something big. That's segment number two.
And now William is back in black after death of his wife, to solve Arnold's game. That's current day with all other shenanigans.

Pratham wrote:
Dolores is having flashbacks of blowing up the village. That's first segment. Just a flashback though. We don't spend much time there.
Couple of years later, she meets William, something happens, something big. That's segment number two.
And now William is back in black after death of his wife, to solve Arnold's game. That's current day with all other shenanigans.
Pretty much, to all of this.

In response to M4's comment: They've described the show, as the origin story of a new species. The hosts are the protagonists. Not the humans. They're as expendable as they come.

No matter what the series main theme is, it still sucks that we don't seem to have any reasonable and at least somewhat likable human characters at the moment that wouldn't seem so easily expendable.
I rooted for Bernard so much, even if I feared he was a host himself. Now I'm not saying I can't root for a robot, but so far the only ones I like are the minor characters, as I don't like both Maeve and Dolores. Besides, Bernard being just another host makes him more of a puppet than a standalone character at the moment, hopefully he won't stay this way (I'm pretty sure he won't).And now it seems like we're heading towards the direction were basically the whole cast are hosts and the only human characters are either secretly hosts, will be replaced as hosts, are complete shitheads or 30year old reflections of their past selves (I mean, it seems like it's happening..). For such a slow burn, this "let's turn everyone into a host!!" thing is happening way too soon, which is even more mind boggling, considering they plan on making a lot of seasons. Idk.

I might just be ranting though, I feel like an ass today. I still expect this to leave my jaw on the floor at some point, preferably soon. <3

Ruth wrote:No matter what the series main theme is, it still sucks that we don't seem to have any reasonable and at least somewhat likable human characters at the moment that wouldn't seem so easily expendable.
I rooted for Bernard so much, even if I feared he was a host himself. Now I'm not saying I can't root for a robot, but so far the only ones I like are the minor characters, as I don't like both Maeve and Dolores. Besides, Bernard being just another host makes him more of a puppet than a standalone character at the moment, hopefully he won't stay this way (I'm pretty sure he won't).And now it seems like we're heading towards the direction were basically the whole cast are hosts and the only human characters are either secretly hosts, will be replaced as hosts, are complete shitheads or 30year old reflections of their past selves (I mean, it seems like it's happening..). For such a slow burn, this "let's turn everyone into a host!!" thing is happening way too soon, which is even more mind boggling, considering they plan on making a lot of seasons. Idk.

I might just be ranting though, I feel like an ass today. I still expect this to leave my jaw on the floor at some point, preferably soon. <3
How it is possible, to not like Dolores or Meave? :judge:

poplar wrote:
Ruth wrote:No matter what the series main theme is, it still sucks that we don't seem to have any reasonable and at least somewhat likable human characters at the moment that wouldn't seem so easily expendable.

How it is possible, to not like Dolores or Meave? :judge:
Maeve is ruthless and manipulative, and Dolores is in a constant state of confusion and doesn't really have anything interesting to do.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote: Maeve is ruthless and manipulative, and Dolores is in a constant state of confusion and doesn't really have anything interesting to do.

-Vader
Ruthless and manipulative. Those words can also be used to describe Ford, & folks seem to gladly go along with whatever he's spinning.

ChrisTilford wrote:
Vader182 wrote: Maeve is ruthless and manipulative, and Dolores is in a constant state of confusion and doesn't really have anything interesting to do.

-Vader
Ruthless and manipulative. Those words can also be used to describe Ford, & folks seem to gladly go along with whatever he's spinning.
I never said I like Ford very much either. That's why I mentioned I wouldn't mind having a decent human character or two.

ChrisTilford wrote:

-Vader
I get this show is like your life, but being a blind apologist isn't really constructive for spurring reasonable discourse. I never said anything about the human characters. And, Chris, to the contrary, your very response illuminates the issue we are discussing. If the character closest to what we might call "chief antagonist" shares the same dominant characteristics for a character close to the "chief proganist", well then uh oh! The character you're meant to root for is obviously morally blurred to the degree we can't really root for her anymore.

FYI, I don't really think of Westworld in a protagonist/antagonist context. I only label them that way for the sake of discussion and to explain why your points aren't making sense. Westworld is very clearly more about the vague threshhold between AI and human consciousness, with "heroes" and "villains" on both sides. That's also contributing to the clinical feel of the show for many people, since there's not really immediate goals or limitations that we, as an audience, can empathize with all that much.

-Vader

EDIT: 2 Vaders
Last edited by Vader182 on November 21st, 2016, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vader182 wrote:
ChrisTilford wrote:

-Vader
I get this show is like your life, but being a blind apologist isn't really constructive for spurring reasonable discourse. I never said anything about the human characters. And, Chris, to the contrary, your very response illuminates the issue we are discussing. If the character closest to what we might call "chief antagonist" shares the same dominant characteristics for a character close to the "chief proganist", well then uh oh! The character you're meant to root for is obviously morally blurred to the degree we can't really root for her anymore.

FYI, I don't really think of Westworld in a protagonist/antagonist context. I only label them that way for the sake of discussion and to explain why your points aren't making sense. Westworld is very clearly more about the vague threshhold between AI and human consciousness, with "heroes" and "villains" on both sides. That's also contributing to the clinical feel of the show for many people, since there's not really immediate goals or limitations that we, as an audience, can empathize with all that much.

-Vader

-Vader
:lol: :lol: :lol: