Westworld (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm schizophrenic with this show. Thinking it's the greatest thing ever and then thinking it's overthought pretentious crap. Often switching scene to scene.

Really didn't like this one overall yet I can't wait to see the season's climax.

I stopped thinking it's 'the best thing evah' a good while ago. It's a good-to-very-good show that needs better directors but overall keeps me intrigued for the most part and I too cannot wait for the season finale.

The great Michelle MacLaren is directing next week's episode, we can only hope!

Ruth wrote:I just struggle to find a reasonable explanation as to why those idiots are acting the way they do with Maeve. It really makes me think a lot less of her arc (which, ironically, I found to be very very promising at first), and I don't root for her at all, which might not be what the creators are striving for, but I'm becoming genuinely annoyed whenever those three pop on screen.
Someone from up above might know about the situation with Maeve and approve it, alright, I get it. But why do the workers themselves act like two miserable donkeys? Are we supposed to be wowed by how she can play them? Or are they robots too? This could back up the theory that someone's "supervising" them all and allowing it to happen, but then again, how many relevant human characters do we have? At this point everyone's potentially a robot, and I'm not exactly intrigued by this at all.. How many Bernard "moments" are we gonna get in the future? I love this show a lot and the ideas and I want it to be amazeballs, but I also feel an increasing possibility of it becoming a hot mess and I don't know how I feel about it.
I was fine with it all at first but now it's getting really bad. They don't ever even show Maeve ever being nice to Felix, she barely ever acts friendly with him and never promises him anything... instead she's basically always mean to both of them so it doesn't work. At first it was alright, they had portrayed Felix as very Naive and the whole thing with him and Maeve reminded me of Sebastian and Pris in Blade Runner. It doesn't work now. This weeks episode was more ridiculous than ever with that story line.

That said, I'm still enjoying everything else.

ComptonTerry wrote:
Ruth wrote:I just struggle to find a reasonable explanation as to why those idiots are acting the way they do with Maeve. It really makes me think a lot less of her arc (which, ironically, I found to be very very promising at first), and I don't root for her at all, which might not be what the creators are striving for, but I'm becoming genuinely annoyed whenever those three pop on screen.
Someone from up above might know about the situation with Maeve and approve it, alright, I get it. But why do the workers themselves act like two miserable donkeys? Are we supposed to be wowed by how she can play them? Or are they robots too? This could back up the theory that someone's "supervising" them all and allowing it to happen, but then again, how many relevant human characters do we have? At this point everyone's potentially a robot, and I'm not exactly intrigued by this at all.. How many Bernard "moments" are we gonna get in the future? I love this show a lot and the ideas and I want it to be amazeballs, but I also feel an increasing possibility of it becoming a hot mess and I don't know how I feel about it.
I was fine with it all at first but now it's getting really bad. They don't ever even show Maeve ever being nice to Felix, she barely ever acts friendly with him and never promises him anything... instead she's basically always mean to both of them so it doesn't work. At first it was alright, they had portrayed Felix as very Naive and the whole thing with him and Maeve reminded me of Sebastian and Pris in Blade Runner. It doesn't work now. This weeks episode was more ridiculous than ever with that story line.

That said, I'm still enjoying everything else.
That's why I wasn't bothered by it in the first place but I then didn't know it would go on for so many episodes. I still haven't seen the last one but apparently it's still there. Other than that, what m4 said.

Vader182 wrote: head.

Also, is it just me or has the actual filmmaking of the show continued down a sharp decline? The pilot felt very TV, but we had a huge set piece in last week's episode that felt passive at best, boring at worst, and this week the "action" scene(s) were incredibly clumsily edited. I'd say in a post Game of Thrones TV world, this is unacceptable for a show this expensive. But shit. Breaking Bad's set pieces are pretty much all more cinematic than this. I could makea laundry list of shows more cinematically compelling than Westworld, which is turning more and more into Network TV on a visual level.

In terms of action, there's action choreographed "with" the camera, and there's action that just happens and they stick a couple cameras around it and edit inpost. IE "Coverage." "Cinematic" usually means the former, Network TV usually means the later. That's all Westworld's been doing. It's weird, since Mr Robot has many of the same narrative mess issues as the last half season or so, but it was always stylistically bold and executed with flair. And that's a drama about hackers. This is meant to feel like a big, sweeping epic action-drama but the Network TV aesthetics really drag down that aspect.

-Vader
completely agree, in Episode 7 when they escape from the train, that whole sequence was just mind numbingly boring.

1. Dolores is Wyatt.
2. Elsie is host now
3. William is MIB almost confirmed
4. Not two, but three timelines - Dolores slaughters village, William meets Dolores, William comes back after death of his wife.
That Ford and Bernard scene, good shit. :thumbup:

Fellix and Sylvester, bad shit. :thumbdown:

I mean I get it, Maeve somehow gave him some mumbo-jumbo about creating and controlling life. But without that shown to us, it just seems dumb writing. And no one's watching the cameras in the lab or what? Slit-throat Sylvester shoulda sent warning signs everywhere. :problem:

Pratham wrote:
1. Dolores is Wyatt.
2. Elsie is host now
3. William is MIB almost confirmed
4. Not two, but three timelines - Dolores slaughters village, William meets Dolores, William comes back after death of his wife.
That Ford and Bernard scene, good shit. :thumbup:

Fellix and Sylvester, bad shit. :thumbdown:

I mean I get it, Maeve somehow gave him some mumbo-jumbo about creating and controlling life. But without that shown to us, it just seems dumb writing. And no one's watching the cameras in the lab or what? Slit-throat Sylvester shoulda sent warning signs everywhere. :problem:
I think it's probable that Felix sympathizes with Maeve's plight, especially after having seen first-hand, what she & other hosts routinely go through, everytime he fixes one. Which happens everyday.

Maeve latched on to his curiosity, & is using it to her advantage. He's way in over his head, & probably can't help it. One of the key points of the show, is to demonstrate what human beings are also capable of, right? This is just another angle of that.

Or ya know, it's possible that both Felix & Sylvester are both hosts themselves.

Three timelines?! ...ugh. I think two is enough and even with two I don't see the reason. Much like Bernard reveal, we all saw it coming but what's the real impact, what's the point? Bernard is a lesser character right now, in my opinion. William will be gone if he's MiB, another solid character. Elsie was starting to get interesting, guess what, nowhere to be seen for two episodes. Therese, Clementine... etc. etc.

m4st4 wrote:
Three timelines?! ...ugh. I think two is enough and even with two I don't see the reason. Much like Bernard reveal, we all saw it coming but what's the real impact, what's the point? Bernard is a lesser character right now, in my opinion. William will be gone if he's MiB, another solid character. Elsie was starting to get interesting, guess what, nowhere to be seen for two episodes. Therese, Clementine... etc. etc.
It's timeframes, not timelines. The former refers to different periods of time in one narrative, while the other refers to alternate universes.

The third is from the time the park was constructed, those sessions with Dolores & 'Arnold', to name a couple. This one is something which needn't be resolved right away. They can add it to the world building in Season 2. Jonah's even hinted at that, in an interview last week.