Westworld (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ramin played the show's clip in a video uploaded on the show's Facebook earlier today. Here it is.

Rudinet wrote:Apart from Maeve and the two cats storyline, which just continues to be extremely contrived, I liked this episode. I thought it was pretty entertaining.
Yeah, same for me. I liked what they did with the MIB.

Promotional shot from next week's show.

Forum Pro
Law
Yeah not digging this anymore

Yeah, this keeps getting a lot more convoluted and messy as the episodes go by. I do hope there's a clearer picture as soon as we reach the finale of S1. Other times it's intriguing and fascinating but other times it's flat out baffling. Terrific acting once again, though. By Newton and Harris, in particular.

Law wrote:Yeah not digging this anymore
:lol:

I just struggle to find a reasonable explanation as to why those idiots are acting the way they do with Maeve. It really makes me think a lot less of her arc (which, ironically, I found to be very very promising at first), and I don't root for her at all, which might not be what the creators are striving for, but I'm becoming genuinely annoyed whenever those three pop on screen.
Someone from up above might know about the situation with Maeve and approve it, alright, I get it. But why do the workers themselves act like two miserable donkeys? Are we supposed to be wowed by how she can play them? Or are they robots too? This could back up the theory that someone's "supervising" them all and allowing it to happen, but then again, how many relevant human characters do we have? At this point everyone's potentially a robot, and I'm not exactly intrigued by this at all.. How many Bernard "moments" are we gonna get in the future? I love this show a lot and the ideas and I want it to be amazeballs, but I also feel an increasing possibility of it becoming a hot mess and I don't know how I feel about it.

Ruth wrote:I just struggle to find a reasonable explanation as to why those idiots are acting the way they do with Maeve. It really makes me think a lot less of her arc (which, ironically, I found to be very very promising at first), and I don't root for her at all, which might not be what the creators are striving for, but I'm becoming genuinely annoyed whenever those three pop on screen.
Someone from up above might know about the situation with Maeve and approve it, alright, I get it. But why do the workers themselves act like two miserable donkeys? Are we supposed to be wowed by how she can play them? Or are they robots too? This could back up the theory that someone's "supervising" them all and allowing it to happen, but then again, how many relevant human characters do we have? At this point everyone's potentially a robot, and I'm not exactly intrigued by this at all.. How many Bernard "moments" are we gonna get in the future? I love this show a lot and the ideas and I want it to be amazeballs, but I also feel an increasing possibility of it becoming a hot mess and I don't know how I feel about it.
There is a reasonable explanation, just not one in the show. They're badly written characters, which in effect undermines the entire "wow factor" in the first AI consciousness coming to a head.

Also, is it just me or has the actual filmmaking of the show continued down a sharp decline? The pilot felt very TV, but we had a huge set piece in last week's episode that felt passive at best, boring at worst, and this week the "action" scene(s) were incredibly clumsily edited. I'd say in a post Game of Thrones TV world, this is unacceptable for a show this expensive. But shit. Breaking Bad's set pieces are pretty much all more cinematic than this. I could makea laundry list of shows more cinematically compelling than Westworld, which is turning more and more into Network TV on a visual level.

In terms of action, there's action choreographed "with" the camera, and there's action that just happens and they stick a couple cameras around it and edit inpost. IE "Coverage." "Cinematic" usually means the former, Network TV usually means the later. That's all Westworld's been doing. It's weird, since Mr Robot has many of the same narrative mess issues as the last half season or so, but it was always stylistically bold and executed with flair. And that's a drama about hackers. This is meant to feel like a big, sweeping epic action-drama but the Network TV aesthetics really drag down that aspect.

-Vader

A new name was listed under the opening credits in this one: Bridget Carpenter, billed as Consulting Producer.

She's got a pretty good track record: Showtime's Dead Like Me, Sundance's The Red Road, NBC's Friday Night Lights/Parenthood, & she served as showrunner on Hulu's 11.22.63. Think she's among the writers staff for the second season as well.

Back-up shots for Episode 7.

Better episode than the last one. Not much else to say. Some solid MiB stuff, as well as Ford.