Westworld (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Westworld renewed for second season, likely returning 2018
Given the lenght of production for the first season, when do you think Westworld will return?

Casey Bloys: My suspicion is sometime in ‘18 because of how big the world is and what goes into shooting it. So I don’t have exactly, they’re going to have to map it out and write the scripts, but my guess is sometime in ‘18.

Pushing it longer than a year would allow Jonah and Lisa to go ahead and write all 10 scripts before starting up production, so it can be shot in blocks. Would've been a lot hard (& really tight), if it were to launch next fall.

Plus, there's also the fact that the two of them are expecting their second child sometime next year.

This is how HBO announced the renewal on Twitter. Think it's from the season finale.

Vader182 wrote:while predictable ending was still really great, but otherwise does anybody else feel like most of the storylines aren't really going anywhere?

also, those two guys continue to be complete buffoons? Why are they handling one of the show's most important arcs this way? It kind of undermines the whole thing.

-Vader
I wouldn't say most, but it's a really special thing indeed. I don't remember a show where so much great stuff was mixed with ''seemingly'' (I'll wait until the finale to be definitive) stale and pointless storylines.

It does feel like they're holding back for some weird reason, I guess this "prequel" thing along with the nature of the show (most characters being hosts with little genuine motivation) is making character work less of a focus, leaving you to evaluate storylines just by how much they add to or reveal mysteries and not by whether they tell you anything about the people in em.

Yeah some of the storylines are showing cracks lately... and this episode had the least going on, except for that one part... but I didn't feel a thing to be honest, no emotion watching it. Just: oh, that was interesting, I wonder what's going to happen next.

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It's not the sort of series where I'm genuinely emotional about it because most of the characters have pre-defined emotions already (hosts). I'm watching it because 'the lore' seems to be interesting and I'm invested in the whole mystery unravelling.

not sure why all are saying hopkins killed it

it was actually bernard who killed

m4st4 wrote:Yeah some of the storylines are showing cracks lately... and this episode had the least going on, except for that one part... but I didn't feel a thing to be honest, no emotion watching it. Just: oh, that was interesting, I wonder what's going to happen next.
I've said it already. It's wonderfully acted and constantly intriguing but it all feels so clinical and cold and something is missing.

It's not visceral enough, I guess? Or fun?

Btw
"I have seen many of you come and go over the years."

Not many of you employees, but many of you hosts :o :o :o

prince0gotham wrote:It does feel like they're holding back for some weird reason, I guess this "prequel" thing along with the nature of the show (most characters being hosts with little genuine motivation) is making character work less of a focus, leaving you to evaluate storylines just by how much they add to or reveal mysteries and not by whether they tell you anything about the people in em.
Yup.

prince0gotham wrote:It does feel like they're holding back for some weird reason, I guess this "prequel" thing along with the nature of the show (most characters being hosts with little genuine motivation) is making character work less of a focus, leaving you to evaluate storylines just by how much they add to or reveal mysteries and not by whether they tell you anything about the people in em.
You're onto something here. There's no reason this show should not be firing on all cylinders. There's an holding back that's feeling more apparent with each new episode. Like they realized they didn't have 10 episodes' worth of that prequel thing sometime in episode 3 or 4. The finale should be something else though