The Maze Runner (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
For some reason, I'm thinking of this as Predators meets Cube. In a good way.

Pratham wrote:For some reason, I'm thinking of this as LOST meets Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. In a bad way.
Fixed (to accomodate my pov).

m4st4 wrote:
Pratham wrote:For some reason, I'm thinking of this as LOST meets Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. In a bad way.
lol be optimistic

Pratham wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
lol be optimistic
Ha, I usually am! ;) But not with these teeny adaptations. The Hunger Games being one true exception these last years.

Looks interesting. Is this trilogy good (I'm looking at better than Hunger Games, as the first book was just ok for me and stpped reading the following ones) or just another young adult doodoo?

I've downloaded the ebooks but I want some reassurance here :lol:

JohnConstantine wrote:Looks interesting. Is this trilogy good (I'm looking at better than Hunger Games, as the first book was just ok for me and stpped reading the following ones) or just another young adult doodoo?

I've downloaded the ebooks but I want some reassurance here :lol:
The first book was good. I've heard that the others are good as well.

I've read the first book of Maze Runner. To me better than the first Hunger Games. Haven't read Divergent (and I don't think I'll do). Don't want to offend any woman but it is obvious it is written by a man (no love story, no love triangle). Yes there is girl in it, but no sappy things (it may be otherwise in the movie, amplified, to reach all audiences).

Reads like a YA (has a silliness in the way characters act - are real teenager that silly? because in YA books they seem so) but it has a good sense of mistery to it and a good payoff in the end (although... let's say sets the stage for the next book while resolving the current mistery). I'm actually willing to read the second one, got hooked a little (never happened to Hunger Games after the first book). The end, the way it rolled, was the deal breaker.

If done right (Catching Fire right) it might be interesting and be a pleasant surprise from what nonreaders are expecting.

JohnConstantine wrote:I've read the first book of Maze Runner. To me better than the first Hunger Games. Haven't read Divergent (and I don't think I'll do). Don't want to offend any woman but it is obvious it is written by a man (no love story, no love triangle). Yes there is girl in it, but no sappy things (it may be otherwise in the movie, amplified, to reach all audiences).
Well I've heard there's gonna be a silly love story in the film, so don't get too happy.

Also, are you saying that only women tend to write cheesy love stories? That's ridiculous. :lol:

Ruth wrote:
JohnConstantine wrote:I've read the first book of Maze Runner. To me better than the first Hunger Games. Haven't read Divergent (and I don't think I'll do). Don't want to offend any woman but it is obvious it is written by a man (no love story, no love triangle). Yes there is girl in it, but no sappy things (it may be otherwise in the movie, amplified, to reach all audiences).
Well I've heard there's gonna be a silly love story in the film, so don't get too happy.

Also, are you saying that only women tend to write cheesy love stories? That's ridiculous. :lol:
At least in the YA books. I have read Twilight and Hunger Games (only first book for each), Mind Storm, I started Angelfall, never read Devergent or 50 Shades of Waste of time. All women authors, all love stories (some even love triangles). "What can I do? I love him, but it's dangerous/forbidden/not the time/I'm no ready/I'm scared. I must forget him. But look at his eyes, look at how protective he is, look at how indiferent he is to me, how dangerous he is, how can I forget him? What can I do?" and so on and so on. All "men" (the live interest) are protective, gelous, they seem right down from the authors fantasies. This loves stories are like a teenage wet dream, full of doubt and angst on top of it.

Now non YA women authors, adult book writers, may have a different view or aproach, different way of saying it, maybe even a different agenda (other from the all present love story we see in those books). Most YA women authors write like they are teenagers not full grown women.

Compared to the books above the love story in Maze Runner is almost non-existent. Being a man, the author tended to focus on the boys (it has an almost cast of boys and only a girl - who appeared at the middle of the book). Also she is clearly from a male perspective: tough, couragerous, with a smirk on her face and a sharp tongue. He doesn't have on ounce of indecision in her, that "What will I do?". But being from a male perspective she tends not to have many layers to her. She is a male fantasy.

Now that I think about it characters in YA books (whatever the sex of the author) don't have many layers to them

JohnConstantine wrote:
Ruth wrote:

At least in the YA books. I have read Twilight and Hunger Games (only first book for each), Mind Storm, I started Angelfall, never read Devergent or 50 Shades of Waste of time. All women authors, all love stories (some even love triangles). "What can I do? I love him, but it's dangerous/forbidden/not the time/I'm no ready/I'm scared. I must forget him. But look at his eyes, look at how protective he is, look at how indiferent he is to me, how dangerous he is, how can I forget him? What can I do?" and so on and so on. All "men" (the live interest) are protective, gelous, they seem right down from the authors fantasies. This loves stories are like a teenage wet dream, full of doubt and angst on top of it.
That's why I don't read YA books. Except for the Hunger Games, but I never finished it. But this huge wave of ridiculously dumb books started with Twilight, that's a fact.