Last Film You Watched? V

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
V For Vendetta

Whoa, that was a cool movie. 9/10

Crazy Eight wrote:
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:John Wick
I expected more colorful characters from a movie which prides itself in its style. Sorry, but I can't simply care about our protagonist because he's John Wick or because he's portrayed by Keanu Reeves.
Or because his wife's last, dying act toward her husband was giving him a puppy and then we watch that grieving man get brutally beat up, his house/car destroyed, and that puppy needlessly hurt and then killed.

Yup. Movie gave me no reason to care about him.
Are you glorifying the idea over execution? Are you trying to say that everyone can make a movie with that simple two lines synopsis the way that the protagonist could definitely garner audiences' sympathy.£

Weekend at Grandma's of 2015:

The LEGO Movie
Still brilliant. Best animated movie of 2014. Possibly the best one in the past 4 years.

Guardians of the Galaxy
For some reason, I actually enjoyed watching it this time more than I had the past two times. It's not even close to being the best superhero of last year, but this is great entertainment.

Master Virgo wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:John Wick
I expected more colorful characters from a movie which prides itself in its style. Sorry, but I can't simply care about our protagonist because he's John Wick or because he's portrayed by Keanu Reeves.
Or because his wife's last, dying act toward her husband was giving him a puppy and then we watch that grieving man get brutally beat up, his house/car destroyed, and that puppy needlessly hurt and then killed.

Yup. Movie gave me no reason to care about him.
Are you glorifying the idea over execution? Are you trying to say that everyone can make a movie with that simple two lines synopsis the way that the protagonist could definitely garner audiences' sympathy.£
Nope.

I'm saying that the movie gives us plenty of legitimate reasoning to care for John Wick as a character beyond "because he's Keanu Reeves". Obviously the execution is vital to the impact, but clearly it drew enough people into the character for it to be deemed successful plotting and execution.

@Crazy Eight

Why did you care about John Wick? What made him a good character?

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:@Crazy Eight

Because of what I just said combined with Reeves performance and the real life circumstances he brings with him given the similar life event he suffered through with his late girlfriend and child. It brings a 'truth' and grittiness to the role that makes me almost instantly identify with and 'buy' into the character.

It's not even meant to be emotionally motivating in a realistic way. If that's the kind of thing you look for in a movie like JOHN WICK, bugger off. Sure, there's elements of 'in joke' realism, but still.

-Vader

Inherent Vice
7.5/10

Vader182 wrote:It's not even meant to be emotionally motivating in a realistic way. If that's the kind of thing you look for in a movie like JOHN WICK, bugger off. Sure, there's elements of 'in joke' realism, but still.

-Vader
Yeah. Don't look for emotional realism in a B movie.

Crazy Eight wrote:
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:@Crazy Eight

Because of what I just said combined with Reeves performance and the real life circumstances he brings with him given the similar life event he suffered through with his late girlfriend and child. It brings a 'truth' and grittiness to the role that makes me almost instantly identify with and 'buy' into the character.
First of all, what happened to John Wick was nowhere close to being a tragedy; tragedy maybe for the wife because she died or the innocent puppy but who is to say what happened to them wasn't some sort of karma. The last thing John Wick did before settling down was killing God knows how many people. We definitely know that he's not a good guy. He's a cold-blooded killer who did everything in his power to resort to violence whenever possible. He doesn't even bother to try and have some sort of discussion with Viggo to resolve the situation amicably. I mean, a human life for a dog's? He was never out.

In fact, the tactic the writers used in the beginning of the movie in order to gain our sympathy is cheap and lazy; kill the wife at the beginning and then kill the dog because everyone loves dogs. The writers are strong-arming us to care for him but there's nothing there to care about.

I don't mind antiheroes but have some personality for Christ's sake.

Alfie Allen was the only saving grace of this movie.