Last Film You Watched? V

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
shauner111 wrote:OK maybe they dont have to be, they can be smart, but the majority of the best comedies are dumb. If i have some laughs, then to me it did its job, even if it's not a classic.
They tackle maybe dumb, stupid situations but they are smart comedies in their way.

Want dumb? Try Friedberg - Seltzer movies
Want smart? Try Spaceballs (imo)

shauner111 wrote:but the majority of the best comedies are dumb.

I gotta be honest, this was better than I ever remembered it to be. Admittedly I hadn't seen this film in about 15 years, which was around the time it first came out, but my initial impression was that it was dull and confusing. The horrible miscasting of Denise Richards aside, I actually think this film holds up better than Tomorrow Never Dies, but is a notch below GoldenEye. I also think this is arguably Pierce Brosnan's finest outing as 007, and Sophie Marceau makes for one hell of a femme fatale. It's a shame that Robert Carlyle is underutilized, but Marceau completely holds it all together. It's a shame that Brosnan had to make Die Another Day his final Bond film, because I consider that to be the absolute worst of the series. Anyways, I'd give The World is Not Enough a rating of 3.5/5

Jupiter Ascending
★★½
Ascends - Universe building, Visual Effects, Score, strong main character, a nice sense of spectacle.
Descends - Scriptwriting, acting.

It's really a tragedy how this film didn't work. It has some much going for it, but it's flaws outweighs it's goodness. It's hardly the most original story, but at least it attempted to show the classic Hero's Journey in a different way. It is bizarrely the Wachowski's least quirky film, and despite it's incredible mythology and designs, it felt too convoluted and condensed. It would have worked better as a TV Show, to be honest. Don't get me started on the acting; it was either very one note or very hammy. Kunis is extremely mis-cast, despite being a very strong female character. I couldn't sense her change, and she barely showed any wonderment when it could have been needed. Redmayne and Booth were both painfully awful; it was near embarrassing to watch. Bean barely gets much to do. The only stand-out I can name is, surprisingly, Tatum. I felt his inner conflicts and emotions, and worked better than any other character. I can see this becoming a guilty pleasure of mine, but the more I think about it, the more it doesn't sit well with me.

Inherent Vice
★★★★½

How could I have not loved this? It has so much energy without showing it, and you feel very lost, but it doesn't matter. You're in on it's quirks and mystery, and it definitely feels like a trip rather than narrative. Its convenient narrative feeds very well into the themes it addresses, and it's such a delight to see all these fantastic actors joining the ride, with the every wonderful Joaquin Phoenix at the center of attention. I could go on about how much I loved this, but it did wash the after-taste of Jupiter Ascending out of my mouth, providing me with something just as exciting. Welcome to the top 5 list, Inherent Vice.

Miss Representation

Mostly interesting despite annoyingly beating you over the head with some ideas.

Dodd would hate this.

Forum Pro
Law
'71

Excellent tension filled war film.

The Road
Second viewing
Extremely well done film, and in my opinion is a little bit underrated. Viggo Mortensen, man....

Song of the Sea-

Magical and enchanting in a way usually reserved for Ghibli, it's a perfect retelling of a classic Irish myth. The animation is jaw dropping; see it on the biggest and best screen you can. I'm upset I didn't see this earlier last year.

What We Do in the Shadows
Really, really funny, and superbly done for the small budget. Does the mockumentary style brilliantly. Shame I didn't catch it last year.

Clue: The Movie
I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed this. For a film based on a board game, it's the polar opposite in quality of something like Battlefield. It adopts the source material well while making its own funny and charming story from it. Tim Curry steals the show, naturally.

Crazy Eight wrote:Song of the Sea-

Magical and enchanting in a way usually reserved for Ghibli, it's a perfect retelling of a classic Irish myth. The animation is jaw dropping; see it on the biggest and best screen you can. I'm upset I didn't see this earlier last year.
I really wasn't a fan of this one. My main problem being with how flat the first hour or so of the film was coupled with two very uninteresting characters (no matter how cute they may be). I agree though that the animation was gorgeous and final moments of the film were packed with raw emotion but I just couldn't be bothered by then.

Appropriate Behavior: I was a bit hesitant to watch this considering the fact that I've found that some recent movies that deal with the transition from teenage years to adulthood/maturity in young females often fail to hit the sweet spot between humor and the seriousness of their situation and they most times try to overcompensate with the humor and the whole thing becomes one big cringe-inducing fest (Frances Ha, Queen). This on the other hand works very well because of the honestly with which it presents our protagonist's situation providing laughs only when necessary. Desiree Akhavan's (who also directed) performance was also very good, carrying the movie effortlessly, and on certain occasions using only her face to convey emotions whereas some of her colleagues would have resorted to their whole body to stress the point.

Interstellar: I really thought I would like it more.