Last Film You Watched? V

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:I don't think a protagonist needs to be really likable but it's sometimes difficult to sit through a movie about one whose unpleasantness is very one-note.
And for the record, I also think humans can be like that.
So surviving on a daily basis is one-note? The root of his behaviour is where you should be digging.
I actually prefer that type of protagonist. Conflicted, scarred, different. It's a hell of a lot more interesting than what Hollywood typically gives us.

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

I liked the first Sin City (8/10) but...something was off with this one. Visually it made no improvements and it lacked the creative use of color juxtaposed with black and white that predominated the first film's look. The violence was tame too. The story lines weren't that well laid out either, one of them seems superfluous and it's inclusion kind of took away from another which was more central to the first movie.

5/10

m4st4 wrote:
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:I don't think a protagonist needs to be really likable but it's sometimes difficult to sit through a movie about one whose unpleasantness is very one-note.
So surviving on a daily basis is one-note? The root of his behaviour is where you should be digging.
I don't see how biting the hand that feeds you is surviving.

Vamos wrote:Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Must be the worst movie of 2014 I've seen so far. Didn't like the plot/story and didn't find it funny. Hated the look of the turtles as well (honestly their faces look awful, like retards).

2/10
You know, I think I might like it less than that fourth Transformers.

Crazy Eight wrote:You know, I think I might like it less than that fourth Transformers.
Yeah I think we are very much on the same boat, I gave the new Transformers a 3/10.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
I don't see how biting the hand that feeds you is surviving.
What are you talking about, there's barely any hand.

Grave of the Fireflies

Sad, but quite beautiful and moving. I watched the Japanese track with English subtitles.

Echovoid_52 wrote:I watched the Japanese track with English subtitles.
:thumbup: That's how it's done.

Definitely, the only way to fly when it comes to that type of films.

Vamos wrote:Definitely, the only way to fly when it comes to that type of films.
m4st4 wrote: :thumbup: That's how it's done.
I've been rotating a bit when it comes to dubs vs subs. For example, I watched both this and The Wind Rises in Japanese because they're films that are so deeply ingrained into their culture. One of my favorite anime's, Akira, 9 times out of 10 I actually prefer the 2001 Pioneer dub to the original japanese track. I'll go back and forth. I also watched My Neighbor Tottro with the Disney dub and Spirited Away too. I enjoyed them both and now I like to float back and forth between the original track and the dub.

Is there any case where the DUB is almost universally agreed upon as superior to the original track?