General Television Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Excerpts from IGN article about Person of Interest. Yeah, I've a hardon for this show.
Aside from being the last remaining network that's able to produce smash-hit "traditional" multi-cam sitcoms, CBS' bread and butter is also its barely-serialized "case of the week" shows. Not exactly IGN-friendly, as not only do we love our genre shows, but we love the long-arcing, deep-cutting stories (and payoffs) that come with serialization. Well, Person of Interest has all but circumvented its procedural roots and turned into a show that's both challenging and rewarding.

Saving people is still at the heart of the series, which started out with Michael Emerson's Harold Finch and Jim Caviezel's John Reese using a backdoor program to obtain social security numbers from a secret semi-sentient surveillance computer to rescue citizens from dangers deemed "irrelevant" and too small for government intervention. It's since grown into a massive, labyrinthine tragi-commentary about our own personal freedoms and liberties, the abuse of power, and the rise of AI.
Created by Jonathan Nolan, Person of Interest is basically The Dark Knight without the cape and cowl.
Finch is the eloquent billionaire genius and Reese is the soft-spoken one-man army, and both are in need of purpose and redemption. Together, along with a team that grows as the seasons progress, they swoop in and rescue ordinary citizens who Finch's super-computer, "The Machine," determines to be in danger (or who may be the danger, in some cases).
Another feat that Person of Interest deftly pulls off on a regular basis - while in the midst of showcasing important issues like privacy, security, and the fragile balance between the two - is that it's able to present both sides of a debate. The characters have sound ideologies and convictions. They have reasons for being the way they are and doing the things they're doing. There's a lot of "grey" to sift through as it pertains to government, liberty, morality and in a post-9/11 America. Which makes for outstanding television.
If this is to be a superhero story, then you need some proper bad guys. And this is another category where Person of Interest shines brightly.
So here's the part where I tell you that [REDACTED BY PRATHAM] and [REDACTED BY PRATHAM] are both series regulars and shoot a lot of people.
Edited, cause spoilers.

oracle86 wrote:Has anyone watched the British conspiracy thriller show Utopia? Just watched the entire first season last night - 6 episodes - and it's spectacularly awesome. :clap: :clap:
Have you seen the second series yet?

Best show around,

The change in Wilson Wilson :(

With Emmys behind us (let's remind ourselves of the talent involved shall we: http://www.emmys.com/awards/nominees-winners) we can look forward to the future once more. Aaron Sorkin's Newsroom, the final season, will start next month, David Fincher is doing Utopia for HBO (2015), along with his scriptwriter from Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn, David Lynch is coming back to Twin Peaks on Showtime (2016); next year we'll also witness the second season of groundbraking True Detective, start of a Breaking Bad spinoff - Better Call Saul and even a series as pulpy/horrific/genre based as Hannibal gets to play for another, third and bloody round.

Are we excited for new television endeavours now more then ever or what? Is this truly the golden age of television or did we have occasional hickups of brilliance ever since The Sopranos? Great directors aren't affraid to jump into cable network environment, great actors and actresses are 'seeking refuge' in hope of finding something of great(er) value.

What's next for our near future, dear television viewers/fans?

A remake of Utopia? Pointless, even if Fincher is behind it.

Highland_3 wrote:A remake of Utopia? Pointless, even if Fincher is behind it.
So, just like House of Cards? Great, can't wait to watch it.

I would say that we have been in the Golden Era for quite some time now.. Every year, we have been lucky to get more than a handful of new shows that are worth watching. And tbh these days there are so many shows that I would like to watch but just don't have the time..

kanjisheik wrote:I would say that we have been in the Golden Era for quite some time now.. Every year, we have been lucky to get more than a handful of new shows that are worth watching. And tbh these days there are so many shows that I would like to watch but just don't have the time..
Everything post Sopranos (so - new millenium) might've been a build up to this, because we never really had Hollywood bigshots doing TV-series on this scale, so, 14 years prior to this day we must've been living in Silver Age of Television right?

This right here, is almost a peak.

The Knick should be in the discussion at this point. Better than True Detective imo.

Dodd wrote:The Knick should be in the discussion at this point. Better than True Detective imo.
Tell me all about it. No seriously, I know it's Clive Owen and Soderbergh and that it's becoming increasingly better.