Best franchise start: Iron Man (2008) vs Man of Steel (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Thedarknight628 wrote:
didich wrote:
anikom15 wrote:
It's difficult to compare them since their approaches are rather different. Marvel makes money by catering and DC makes money by making good movies.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, summarizes why some fanboys are not worth having a conversation with.
Was that directed towards me?
No. You're pretty respectful with tastes and opinions for the most part. Even when you're harsh (we all do so sometimes), you're a smart guy with interesting discussions.

didich wrote:
Thedarknight628 wrote:
didich wrote:
And that, ladies and gentlemen, summarizes why some fanboys are not worth having a conversation with.
Was that directed towards me?
No. You're pretty respectful with tastes and opinions for the most part. Even when you're harsh (we all do so sometimes), you're a smart guy with interesting discussions.
Thank you good sir :twothumbsup: you have some interesting discussions as well.

MusicBox wrote:Watchmen has more quality than most of Marvel's movies IMO...
Definitely, the only Marvel movie I like more than Watchmen is The Avengers.

I think Iron Man is a better movie. :think:

I enjoyed Batman Begins and Iron Man because of the first hour or so in each movie. MoS tries to do something similar, but not quite as good imo. I thought Batman Begins had the best action scenes in comparison to the other 2.

1. Batman Begins
2. Iron Man
3. Man of Steel

I'm not a huge Iron Man guy (the first was good fun, second dropped the ball, and the third I haven't yet seen / have litte interest to see), but I think that franchise's start was miles better than Man of Steel's... I will say, though, that however awful I thought Man of Steel was, I am at least curious for a sequel in terms of seeing Clark at the Daily Planet...

Watched the first Iron Man again yesterday after not having seen it in awhile. And I don't understand the pedestal people put that film on. Between it and MOS, one may be slightly better than the other, but they're both in the same league in terms of action/comic films. I think the writing is slightly better in MOS simply based on the fact that it is more emotionally charged.

I love Tony Stark, he's a joy to watch, but even in moments where they try to be emotional I feel very little for his character. Now granted that's completely subjective view for both films. I know a lot of people felt MOS lacked character development for them to actually care about the characters. But I'd say the majority of viewers were very emotionally moved. Speaking of characters, imo Stark is the only interesting character in IM. Whereas with MOS, so many characters caught my attention; Jor-El, Clark, Lois, the Kents and Zod is a far more interesting villain than that of Iron Man.

Both films had scenes featuring the characters discovering their powers and testing their limits. Stark is a different kind of hero yes. And it was fun watching him learn the ways of his armor. But when Superman picked himself up and flew for the first time I had goosebumps all over and a grin ear to ear. There's some (okay a lot!) mindless action in Man of Steel, as if there isn't mindless action in just about every comic film, but it doesn't negate the intimate storytelling a boy trying to find his place in the world.

I saw someone mention that the film insults its audience by being dumb or something. I disagree. Though, I do think Man of Steel asks you to drop your guard for a bit and open your heart and imagination. Something we forget to do these days when going to the movies.

anonymity wrote:Watched the first Iron Man again yesterday after not having seen it in awhile. And I don't understand the pedestal people put that film on. Between it and MOS, one may be slightly better than the other, but they're both in the same league in terms of action/comic films. I think the writing is slightly better in MOS simply based on the fact that it is more emotionally charged.
There's not a single scene in MoS that even nears the emotion of the Tony Stark has a heart-scenes in Iron Man.

Im always taken aback by how impressed some people were by Watchmen. Particularly on this board. Is it an age thing maybe? non-book readers? Takes all kinds I guess...

didich wrote:
anonymity wrote:Watched the first Iron Man again yesterday after not having seen it in awhile. And I don't understand the pedestal people put that film on. Between it and MOS, one may be slightly better than the other, but they're both in the same league in terms of action/comic films. I think the writing is slightly better in MOS simply based on the fact that it is more emotionally charged.
There's not a single scene in MoS that even nears the emotion of the Tony Stark has a heart-scenes in Iron Man.
We're gonna have to seriously agree to disagree here cause I find several scenes in MOS to be far more emotional than ANYTHING in the entire Iron Man series. In general I feel more sympathy for Kal-El, the last survivor of a dead species, who isn't sure who he is or where he came from than I feel for Tony Stark, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist. Basically he gets captured and almost dies before realizing creating weapons for the military might not be such a great idea. Sorry, I like Iron Man but I've never felt the slightest bit of sympathy for him. I admit this is a very subjective dispute though.

Iron Man. 2 and 3 are garbage though, so...