FOX's Wayward Pines

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
After the succes of the After Earth topic, I thought like "What the hell..."
I hope this topic can stay a little more clear of the hate against M. Night. Let's keep this more focussed on the project, rather then how the last few movies of M. Night 'sucked'.

Secret Service agent Ethan Burke arrives in the bucolic town of Wayward Pines, ID, on a mission to find two missing federal agents. But instead of answers, Ethan's investigation only turns up more questions. What's wrong with Wayward Pines? Each step closer to the truth takes Ethan further from the life he knew, from the husband and father he was, until he must face the terrifying reality that he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2618986/

Matt Dillon and Melissa Leo are set to star in this 10 episode mini-series based on the novel "Pines" by Blake Crouch.

M. Night is set to produce, direct and oversee the writing.
...Right now, in TV there’s an uptick in quality, and the kind of things that interest me in tone and character are really being celebrated, so when I look at The Killing or Homeland or Mad Men or Game of Thrones, there’s a high level of cinema going on there that’s really inspiring. And then this pilot they sent me called Wayward Pines, this specific story and the specific way it was executed really caught me. It has a Twin Peaks-y sort of vibe and I was immediately caught.
http://www.mnightfans.com/m-night-shyam ... fwnto.dpuf

As stated many times before, I am still an M. Night fan. To me, this is good news. A new project that might be good (however, the last 3 times it started with good news and ended... well, not so good). However, I do see a strange patern here:
M. Night Shyamalan started off with a slow way of storytelling. The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village were all kinda slow in storytelling. After The Village, he got critized that the movie was perhaps a bit too slow. Ever since Lady In The Water, he started telling stories faster (I feel that Lady in the Water, The Happening and The Last Airbender were a bit too rushed, especially TLA).
M. Night usually made cameos in his movies. In 2006 he won a Razzie for worst supporting character. This left him with just a voice-role in The Happening and no cameos in TLA and After Earth (I'm still not convinced that the firebender in TLA is him, even though IMDb says so).
After The Happening, people started to really complain about him. That his writing and directing 'sucked'. This resulted in two steps; a movie that was produced by him, story by him but other screenwriter and director (Devil) and a movie he directed with someone elses screenplay (After Earth, although he did rewrite the script).
Now, people are saying that he should stop making movies at all. He's doing television now! Do you see the patern?

But okay, Shyamalan had different reasons for all of these 'changes' in his filmmaking style. And as said before, I am still fan and will support him in his upcoming projects. I like the plot that has been given now and hope this will be worth something.

Well atleast it's something new for him. I'm willing give M. Night another chance, sounds intriguing.

I am looking forward to this. I wonder if filming is going to take place in Philly. Does anyone know?

I really thought After Earth would end M. Night's career.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:I really thought After Earth would end M. Night's career.
Hah!

Dude, I don't get it why you are so passionate about seeing someone fail. It sounds really silly to make such statements. It's getting old, man. Move on. My friendly advice is that you making these remarks won't change a thing. Shyamalan is loaded. He will continue to make films. Hah! you don't like his films? - Okay, we get it. We respect your opinion. :gonf:

‘Wayward Pines’ Event Series to Premiere in May on Fox
Fox thinks the world of its upcoming M. Night Shyamalan event series “Wayward Pines,” giving the psychological thriller’s premiere an unprecedented day-and-date launch in 125 countries.

The network and Fox International Channels announced on Tuesday the global rollout of the 10-episode “Wayward Pines,” which will premiere Thursday, May 14 at 9 p.m. on the network while also debuting simultaneously in more than 125 countries across Asia, Africa, Australia, Europe and Latin America.

The debut will be the world’s largest day-and-date launch for a scripted series ever.

The series stars Matt Dillon as a Secret Service agent on a mission to find two missing federal agents in the bucolic town of Wayward Pines, ID. In addition to Dillon, the cast includes Melissa Leo, Terrence Howard, Carla Gugino, Shannyn Sossamon, Toby Jones, Reed Diamond, Tim Griffin, Charlie Tahan and Juliette Lewis.

“Wayward Pines” is a production of FX Productions. The series was developed for television by Hodge (“The Playboy Club,” “Runaway”) and executive-produced by Donald De Line (“Green Lantern,” “The Italian Job”), Ashwin Rajan (“Devil”), Chad Hodge and Shyamalan. Hodge wrote and Shyamalan directed the premiere episode.

“Wayward Pines” will take over the Thursday at 9 timeslot occupied earlier in spring by Rainn Wilson drama “Backstrom.”
http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/wayward ... 201374374/

Matt Dillon and an intriguing premise. I'm in

m4st4 wrote:Image
Only as producer. Though it reminds me of The Village.
Twist my neck a little there :P