Man of Steel (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Empty, hollow, soulless, boring, and humorless. Where's the awe? Where's the heart?

Very disappointing film. I'm sure people will tell me I'm wrong and that it's self serious tone makes it better than say something like Iron Man 3 just so they can validate not feeling too bad about seeing guys in capes fight. I think comic book movies can be about something, but there's no harm in them being fun and harmless too. Man of Steel is theoretically about fathers and sons, choice, and a man finding his place in the world, but the script is painful and the execution is poor dropping character development letting external outcomes drive the film. "Superman is Jesus!"-a 17 year old. Wow. Haven't seen that observation before. You think? Snyder is the king of subtly!

Batman was always my favorite superhero even as a kid, but I'm tired of making other superheroes like Batman. I get it. 13-18 years old love these serious movies as their going through teen angst, but for me I eventually came out of it and said "You know what's the harm in enjoying The Dark Knight and then something totally opposite like Captain America: The First Avenger?"

I worship the ground Nolan is on, but after the disappointment of TDKR and this film(in which only he produced and shared some story credit to), I'm not so quick to praise him. In the end Snyder, Nolan, and god almighty Goyer were the wrong people for this.

TheExtractorCobb wrote:Empty, hollow, soulless, boring, and humorless. Where's the awe? Where's the heart?

Very disappointing film. I'm sure people will tell me I'm wrong and that it's self serious tone makes it better than say something like Iron Man 3 just so they can validate not feeling too bad about seeing guys in capes fight. I think comic book movies can be about something, but there's no harm in them being fun and harmless too. Man of Steel is theoretically about fathers and sons, choice, and a man finding his place in the world, but the script is painful and the execution is poor dropping character development letting external outcomes drive the film. "Superman is Jesus!"-a 17 year old. Wow. Haven't seen that observation before. You think? Snyder is the king of subtly!

Batman was always my favorite superhero even as a kid, but I'm tired of making other superheroes like Batman. I get it. 13-18 years old love these serious movies as their going through teen angst, but for me I eventually came out of it and said "You know what's the harm in enjoying The Dark Knight and then something totally opposite like Captain America: The First Avenger?"

I worship the ground Nolan is on, but after the disappointment of TDKR and this film(in which only he produced and shared some story credit to), I'm not so quick to praise him. In the end Snyder, Nolan, and god almighty Goyer were the wrong people for this.
Nolan's Batman was dark but it still inspired, had soul and lot of humor and wit, this vision for Superman is not wrong, it might have worked if they had actually given thought while writing.

1. Church scene could have had lot of heart and inspiring but felt flat.
2. Conversation with Army General could have been great and inspiring in the end but fell flat.
3. All the action and angst in 3rd act ruined whatever tinge of heart the movie showed in the beginning.
4. Scene in "Fortress of Solitude" could have been inspiring yet it was like interplanetary talks, fell flat again.

Damn there were so many great scenes but they failed to make any impact because of writing, there is nothing wrong with the vision they had for Superman but they couldn't execute it, that's why my disappointment is so big.

Rotten Tomatoes site sucks. Their score and percentage in my book has no meaning whatsoever. Mainly it's due to the fact that RT never scores a film on a artistic standpoint. Also their percentage and scoring is nothing, but overrated and most of the time it's all exaggerations. And what saddens me is that some of the critics take the time to mention RT in their reviews to convince their readers. That is absolutely silly.

TDKR is powerful than MOS. In every level. Action, dialogues, cinematography, acting, locations, setting and villain. MOS is empty.

Rohan wrote:TDKR is powerful than MOS. In every level. Action, dialogues, cinematography, acting, locations, setting and villain. MOS is empty.
^^ agree but not empty man, it had its moments for sure.
Last edited by riddick-danish on June 18th, 2013, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rohan wrote:TDKR is powerful than MOS. In every level. Action, dialogues, cinematography, acting, locations, setting and villain. MOS is empty.
Agree that TDKR is a better film but not that MoS is empty

my favorite part was the tornado scene :shock:

5/5 :twothumbsup:

riddick-danish wrote:
TheExtractorCobb wrote:Empty, hollow, soulless, boring, and humorless. Where's the awe? Where's the heart?

Nolan's Batman was dark but it still inspired, had soul and lot of humor and wit, this vision for Superman is not wrong, it might have worked if they had actually given thought while writing.

1. Church scene could have had lot of heart and inspiring but felt flat.
2. Conversation with Army General could have been great and inspiring in the end but fell flat.
3. All the action and angst in 3rd act ruined whatever tinge of heart the movie showed in the beginning.
4. Scene in "Fortress of Solitude" could have been inspiring yet it was like interplanetary talks, fell flat again.

Damn there were so many great scenes but they failed to make any impact because of writing, there is nothing wrong with the vision they had for Superman but they couldn't execute it, that's why my disappointment is so big.
Oh the Fortress of Solitude scene(the new ship or whatever) totally falls flat with Crowe laying out exposition of something we already know. Would it have been cool if the first time he walks out with that suit he's going to fight Zod, but instead it's just a flight sequence. On a positive note, that's the one moment where there's some levity or at least awe with Clark....smiling? He should do that more often.

You think you can threaten my mother?! *Slam* You think you can threaten my mother??! *Slam* hands down, best bit :clap: