Man of Steel (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
didich wrote:
Jones wrote:I can't wrap my mind around how critics who formerly praised The Avengers can bash on Man of Steel. Do they just by default hate any comic book movie that isn't from Marvel and doesn't have bright colors and oneliners for 12 year olds?
Or they genuinely didn't like the movie and you're a retard for saying that. You know, just stating another option.
Do you always have to defend Marvel :roll:

These were just some of mine, in no order:
1. Final fight sequence between Zod and Superman
2. "Goodbye me son."
3. Krypton's Destruction
4. "You Are Not Alone"
5. "Welcome to the Planet."
6. Superman vs Zod Fight 1
7. When the soldier reveals that they are calling Kal-El - Superman.
8. When the big-rig drive is throwing stuff at Kal-El and then comes out to find is rig destroyed (everyone laughed at that part)
9. When Kal reveals why he let his father die :(

I can't remember the exact line but
at the end of the final battle between Superman and Zod just before its shocking conclusion "If you love these people so much. Then you can mourn for them as well"
Or at least it went something like that.

-Jor El owning Zod's men (and him)
-basically the whole prequel
-the first flashback where young Clark first awaken his super sense, x-ray vision and his heat vision
-tornado scene
-final Superman--Zod fight
-clark: i wish he (Pa Kent) could see it; Ma Kent: he already has (the final flashback with Pa Kent fixing the car and saw young Clark donning his cape and play hero with the dog :(

Guys my detailed review is here motionpicturecritic.tumblr.com

I throughly enjoyed this film!! :thumbup: but it could have been a lot better. There were some problems with the film but it still should have been in the high 70's low 80's of RT. Anyway read it and tell me what you guys think :D

I've just seen it and wow does it deliver!

Amazing movie,

I have to thank the critics, they genuinely had me going into this movie doubting whether it would be any good, even after the first hour I was waiting for it to go downhill like many reviews suggested, but boy did it not.

All the criticism about it being too serious and not enough 'jokes' etc from Superman are so wide of the mark. There are real stakes in this movie, there is a genuine threat in this movie, jokes would have been totally out of place and ridiculous.

The movie had so much emotion too, I was welling up at multiple stages.

The action was obviously incredible and I think everyone was fantastic, particularly Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner.

Best Superman movie by a country mile.

“We are having a big day!” a Warner Bros exec just gushed to me. “Movie’s working!” exulted another exec at the studio. No official numbers yet. But my sources say that, based on matinee trends, Man Of Steel (4,207 theaters with 3D in 3,357 venues) is looking like $42.5M to $47.5M today, plus however the studio accounts for the $9M from Friday midnights and the $12M of corporate/Wal-Mart sales screenings from Thursday 7 PM shows. My sources have 3-day weekend estimates ranging from $114M to $120M with 4-day cumes ranging from $126M to $132M. ”It’s way behind Iron Man 3 but way ahead of Superman Returns,” a rival studio exec tells me. (Iron Man 3 kicked off Summer 2013 with a $174.1M opening weekend which ranked 2nd all-time behind last year’s The Avengers with $207.4M) That wildly overperforms Man Of Steel‘s pre-release tracking which has ranged from Warner Bros’ lowball $80sM aimed at managing expectations to rival studio projections around $95M-$100M.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/man-of- ... ilippines/

Man of Steel
ImageImageImageImage

Long version (SPOILERS):
Lemme start out by saying that I want to have a Man of Steel-esque beatdown on the people that run the IMAX theater in Little Rock, because it seems like they think good sound quality means DEAFENINGLY LOUD SPEAKERS. I have temporary threshold shift from the viewing, in fact I always do after seeing something at this theater, thank goodness I'm in audiology.

Let's get the bad out of the way first. The film suffers on one major front: overuse of CGI and action scenes that go on forever, for which Snyder takes all the blame. I was in a very awkward place in the theater (front right side), so that might have had some influence. The action scenes, while generally awesome, are at times difficult to comprehend because of visuals that look like something out of a video game. It also makes it seem like the longest parts of the film are the action scenes full of CGI, making me look forward to a moment of calm more than anything. I feel like Snyder is a kid in a candy store when it comes to the action in his films, especially here. The Clark and Faora fight scene is actually really well staged when you think about it, but at many times all I could make out was silhouettes in smoke. The final fight scene between Clark and Zod creates almost too much destruction, and it feels like that level of destruction of Metropolis is never really addressed at the end of the film. It's just a sensory overload at times

Seriously Snyder, just fucking calm down already.

Those flaws are glaring, and it really feels like Snyder is repeatedly bashing my head throughout the film with a colorful plush baseball bat. However, I seriously abandon all objectivity when I see Cavill in that suit and when I see those moments of truly earnest emotion. I really did tear up several times throughout the film. In fact I would say as far as hero films go, it's more emotional than a lot of other hero films, maybe even Batman Begins. This film tells the story of how Kal-El becomes Clark Kent, and then Superman very well. This is an origin story in every sense of the word. Nolan and Goyer really nailed it and Snyder delivers powerfully emotional visuals and direction. Major props to all three of them for executing, outside of the TDK trilogy, one of the best superhero films in years.

No one stole the show because the performances were all incredible, my favorite being Cavill. This was perfect casting. He was stoic and godly when he needed to be, yet also quite vulnerable and dare I say it "human". I really connected with him on an emotional level, and I always wanted to see more of him when he wasn't on screen. Reeve was an iconic Superman, but I never had that connection with him, I never felt him. With Cavill, I could feel his anger, I could really feel his power, I could feel his sadness when Jonathan dies.

Speaking of which, Kevin Costner performs beautifully. During that scene where Pa is caught in the tornado and holds up his hand, telling Clark not save him, I almost died a little inside. Russell Crowe is a solid rock of fartherly emotion, that was incredible casting. Antje Traue, as is being discussed, is also really impressive and gives a very sharp and sinister performance. Michael Shannon was also thrilling as a passionate, yet militaristic and controlled villain. Amy Adams was an absolute charm as Lois Lane, and I liked that her character was given a lot of perspective in this film.

The thematically serious, yet optimistic tone of the film is something I really loved too. It's not "too serious" or "too gloomy", please ignore that bullshit. It was in the same vein of Nolan's trilogy. I thought it complemented the themes of "who Superman is" perfectly. Snyder really makes Superman feel like a hero we need. Oh and the film actually was funny, without getting too comical like some Marvel films. So seriously, the critics can go fuck themselves on this one.

I don't think I've ever used the word "emotional" more in any review, but IT FUCKING WAS. I felt like a kid while watching it and I mean that in the best possible way. I need a second viewing without stupidly loud sound, because I feel like I will grow to love this film in the same way I did with TDKR. In fact I left the theater feeling much the same way I did after seeing TDKR, it has it's flaws, but the good massively outweighs the bad. Snyder's universe, unfortunately, doesn't feel like it fits with Nolan's, so I'm hoping a crossover doesn't happen. I still don't want a Justice League film, or at least not for several years. I actually really want a sequel too, if only so that Snyder can improve upon his Snyder-ness.

Overall:

+ incredibly emotional
+ thematically serious yet optimistic tone
+ wonderful performances from everyone
- CGI was mostly good, some parts were too video-gamish
- action scenes went overboard

Short version (no spoilers):

MAN OF STEEL:

WOW, this fucking delivered. Everything about this film was gripping, and emotional. Zimmers soundtrack is his best since Inception, it had me on the verge of tears multiple times. The scale of the film is something I have never seen before in my life, and bring new meaning to the word epic. The cast is damn good, the standouts being Cavill, Shannon, Crowe, Traue. Cavill just embodies superman, and brought life to the origins of the character. Shannon is just menacing, and just like Hardy's bane uses his eyes, and mannerisms a lot. I rank it above Cumberbatch's Khan by quite a bit to be honest, and although i liked Cumberbatch I still think its a little overrated. Traue is the perfect sidekick, and had her share of bad ass moments. The only weak link in the cast is Amy Adams, and I know I might get shit for thinking that, but she bothered me quite a bit especially in the beginning. I am usually a pretty big fan of her as well. The film gets a bit jumbled in the middle, but finishes very strong, and mixes action with emotion quite well which for me relied heavily upon Zimmers score, and the sheer scale of epicness. Snyder delivers his best film yet, and Man of Steel engraves its name in the upper leagues of Comic book films, while only taking the back seat to Nolan's Batman. Best film of the year.

bitch fuqin stole my format ill cut u cil
Huehue, great review.