The Leftovers (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
First of three interviews with Damon. Second's out on Wednesday, third after the finale. Spoilers Ahead (Even the damn URL gives it away).

Wow.
I gotta say, I like Kevin and Justin Theroux is cool and all... but Matt, Nora and now Megan are definitely the best characters in this show. Their episodes are always the best.

And damn, Liv Tyler is beautiful.

No bait here, but Lindelof isn't exactly a loved writer, so has he done a good job on this show?

JohnConstantine wrote:No bait here, but Lindelof isn't exactly a loved writer, so has he done a good job on this show?
Lindelof's writing on TV shows has always been great. It's just that he "messed up" with known titles and there you go.. internet will go crazy. He also did stuff like Cowboys & Aliens and Tomorrowland. So that doesn't sound great right?

However, he's much more comfortable doing TV series. It's like he can plan everything better when he knows he has a long-term structure. Lost and Leftovers are proof of his abilities as a writer for television.

RIFA wrote:
JohnConstantine wrote:No bait here, but Lindelof isn't exactly a loved writer, so has he done a good job on this show?
Lindelof's writing on TV shows has always been great. It's just that he "messed up" with known titles and there you go.. internet will go crazy. He also did stuff like Cowboys & Aliens and Tomorrowland. So that doesn't sound great right?

However, he's much more comfortable doing TV series. It's like he can plan everything better when he knows he has a long-term structure. Lost and Leftovers are proof of his abilities as a writer for television.
I really liked Lost but let's be honest, Lindelof, Cuse and co, really dragged the show (especially season 2, when they didn't know where the show was heading) and left plot points unresolved in the end after all that build-up. It's like (and this was directed also at Lindelof at the time) they had these cool concepts, scenes, characters or arcs in their mind, they put them in the show and then couldn't resolve them during the show because they put out too many questions and didn't have time to connect the dots and answer all of them in a coherent manner.

Although I didn't see Prometheus I suspect it had the same problem as Lost did. Many good ideas thrown in and not enough, let's say, writing discipline to get them, and the movie as a whole, somewhere.

So my question was in fact, is Lindelof disciplined enough not to extend his reach to the point where he can't cover his ideas he throws in the show?

JohnConstantine wrote:
RIFA wrote:

I really liked Lost but let's be honest, Lindelof, Cuse and co, really dragged the show (especially season 2, when they didn't know where the show was heading) and left plot points unresolved in the end after all that build-up. It's like (and this was directed also at Lindelof at the time) they had these cool concepts, scenes, characters or arcs in their mind, they put them in the show and then couldn't resolve them during the show because they put out too many questions and didn't have time to connect the dots and answer all of them in a coherent manner.
I don't know what you're talking about. Season 2 is strong as hell. Season 4 is when it got a bit messy and that's because there's a lot of infodump there. But even season 4 has some really interesting highs and not many lows. Also, I'm not sure you're familiar with Lost development as they knew in fact where they were heading.

Huh? Season 4 of LOST is considered by just about everybody to be the show's strongest (along with Season 1).

-Vader

sorry Rifa, but a while back, when the show was running they said (Lindelof or Cuse, or both) that once they knew how many seasons they had till the end, they all focused to get there.. Not the exact words, but that was the general idea. And it's clearly obvious in season 2 when they are just stalling with no clear focus. That continued with the first half of season 3, then the second half kicks in and in that finale you can see they knew where the end, in term of seasons, was, or at least they got the show in motion again. By season 4 (production i mean) I think they knew when it will end.

Initially there were to be 5 seasons, and it is obvious in the episodes each have. s1-3, 23-25 episodes, s4-5 14-18 episodes (those 3 should have been 2 seasons).

Season 4 was in the "future" with some of them being already rescued, with now flashforwards (which began with season 3 finale), and season 5 finale introduced, finally, the 2 brothers, Jacob and The Man in Black. By the time season 6 comes along they, the showrunners, can no longer explain it all. They had no time. I still remember till this day wondering how will they explain it all. And season 6 feels rushed in explaining all the things they put in the show.

Basically they started strong with s1, stalled with 2 and first half of 3, kick things off with 2nd half, 4-5 they tried to ride the momentum and get toward an end, and 6 they run out of time to explain it all. If you notice and if I remember it corectly in season 5 and 6 you finally start to get answers and things explained (even from season 1).

I really liked the show. It's one of the rarest shows I watched each episode week by week (on the tv, on sunday/monday when it premiered here), but that said, I saw when they had no direction or when it was clearly they threw ideas, good or intriguing ones, left and right and then get overwhelmed by them because they didn't kept it tight.

Hey JC, check your PMs.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Hey JC, check your PMs.

-Vader
Sending dick pics will give you breast cancer.