The Knick (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Steven Soderbergh Will Interrupt Retirement To Direct And Produce Cinemax Series ‘The Knick’ With Clive Owen Starring
We need to qualify Steven Soderbergh‘s self-imposed retirement from the business with an asterisk: feature films only. Just as his final film Behind The Candelabra airs this Sunday on HBO, Soderbergh is in talks to team with Clive Owen on The Knick, a period series set in New York in 1900. I’m told that he and Owen will set this series at Cinemax, which will give him a 10-episode season commitment. Soderbergh will direct all of the episodes. The setting: downtown New York in 1900, a tumultuous time of massive change and great progress. The series centers around the groundbreaking surgeons, nurses and staff at Knickerbocker Hospital, who are pushing the bounds of medicine in a time of astonishingly high mortality rates and zero antibiotics. Jack Amiel & Michael Begler are writers and executive producers on the series. Owen and Soderbergh are also executive producers and so are Anonymous Content’s Michael Sugar and Soderbergh’s longtime producer Gregory Jacobs.

While this might make some might look cynically on Soderbergh’s “retirement,” he told me the other day in an interview for the Michael Douglas-Matt Damon Liberace movie that for the moment, he has shut the door on feature films. I can see that he likes the energy present in pay and basic cable TV, and it would be like him to try helping re-brand Cinemax by giving that network an event series, rather than setting it at HBO which has a wealth of great series already. HBO and Cinemax are under one roof, so this is easy to finesse. Soderbergh has experience with series, having directed the episodes and exec produced K Street, the HBO-based series done with George Clooney when they together operated the production company Section Eight. As for Owen, he most recently played Ernest Hemingway in the HBO telepic Hemingway & Gellhorn opposite Nicole Kidman, and he did TV work early in his career, including the Brit series Chancer, which was his breakout series.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/steven- ... um=twitter
Last edited by nolannolanchrischris on October 22nd, 2020, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I expected that Soderbergh retirement was going to be BS :think:

:lol: What a troll. With the acclaim of Behind The Candelabra, maybe it's going to make him want to keep working ^^

Jax_Teller wrote:What a troll.

Sounds fantastic. :clap:

Allstar wrote:
Jax_Teller wrote:What a troll.
Talking about Soderbergh of course.

Retirement? My ass. :lol:

Even Brett Favre didn't come out of retirement this quickly.

Soderbergh + Clive = I'm so in 8-)
Why you lurking my page brah?

Looks amazing :o