Roland Emmerich's Lawrence of Arabia

All non-Nolan related entertainment discussion. Join the fun!
Posts: 827
Joined: July 2009
Location: Cardiff, UK
When I found out The Pink Panther was gonna get remade, everything was up for grabs in my view.

Can't stop the inevitable

Posts: 18531
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
Peace, I'm genuinely puzzled by your comments. First, by calling two very tiny paragraphs (that I typed as I brushed my teeth this morning) an 'epic rant' when I'm not sure it was 'ranting' much at all, and its length certainly wasn't epic. I shouldn't have to explain this, but I'm pretty clearly expressing a "wwhuuuut" reaction and briefly explaining why. Second, you seem to be bothered by my use of the word 'injustice'. Injustice isn't a word that literally means as it refers to the broader state of the human condition, it also is very frequently employed as a contextual term. In fact, because I linked my use of the word injustice with Soderbergh's talk on trying to remake, I provided that context then and there if you otherwise missed it. Third, getting extremely defensive, telling me to 'grow up' or 'go about my day' isn't just nonconstructive and detrimental to any kind of a discussion at all, it's also far more hostile towards myself and the other members than I was to the actual news.


-Vader

Posts: 11410
Joined: August 2010
Location: Texas
didich wrote:Well. Vader just wrote a (very good) post about his feelings in an Internet forum. It's not like if he had attacked Emmerich on the street or decided to bykott Hollywood or something like that, writing a post isn't that big of a consumption of energy. I pretty much agree with everything he said.
I swear I write something and when I click post it deletes it.


I was saying.... if Vader wants to somehow let this have an effect on the original so be it. I think it's kinda cool because maybe non-film buffs with be introduced to Lean. Maybe they will want to watch the film :o

I don't think anyone making the mini series is trying to compete with the original film... so why even try to compare it to the film?

But whatever.. go ahead and spend your time bitching about remakes online. If that's what you want to do with your time ok.. I just think you could use the time for... more constructive things.

Posts: 11410
Joined: August 2010
Location: Texas
Vader182 wrote:Peace, I'm genuinely puzzled by your comments. First, by calling two very tiny paragraphs (that I typed as I brushed my teeth this morning) an 'epic rant' when I'm not sure it was 'ranting' much at all, and its length certainly wasn't epic. I shouldn't have to explain this, but I'm pretty clearly expressing a "wwhuuuut" reaction and briefly explaining why. Second, you seem to be bothered by my use of the word 'injustice'. Injustice isn't a word that literally means as it refers to the broader state of the human condition, it also is very frequently employed as a contextual term. In fact, because I linked my use of the word injustice with Soderbergh's talk on trying to remake, I provided that context then and there if you otherwise missed it. Third, getting extremely defensive, telling me to 'grow up' or 'go about my day' isn't just nonconstructive and detrimental to any kind of a discussion at all, it's also far more hostile towards myself and the other members than I was to the actual news.


-Vader
I just don't get why people get worked up over remakes. At all. I mean I think we all know and understand this is crazy shit. We don't have to be told why it isn't the best idea.

I'm just sick of the bitching. The mini series isn't hurting anyone. I wasn't even going to comment in here because a mini series of Lawrence of Arabia brought to you by Roland Emmerich... we all know that's not right. But you guys get all moral about it.

So I disagree with your little two paragraphs. This mini series won't be an injustice because I'm not gonna even compare this "project" which will more then likely suck to a classic well because they were never in the same class to start with.

Posts: 4938
Joined: December 2009
Location: London
I think it would've been worse if they did a film remake of the original - it's always slightly more justifiable if you're retelling a story through a different medium. However, it's still a pointless reboot and Emmerich is quite frankly not very good.

Vader182 wrote: Now, I realize it isn't an actual 'remake' and instead a mini-series found on the same historical account. Even so, for the above stated reasons, this will inevitably be a great injustice, and exactly part of what Steven Soderbergh took serious issue with in his brilliant address.

-Vader
Not at all saying this will be good, and I agree it's probably part of hollywood's devolving creativity as a whole, but I just can't get worked up over it. Even though at this point Lean is as closely associated with Lawrence as the actual event is, it IS based off of an historical event. I mean nobody flips out when they make a holocaust movie just because Schindler's List is out. (But even if it was fiction, "oh nooo people made a different version of an existing story that I have the choice of watching! fuck those guys"). My guess is rather than it being a great injustice, it'll be something that comes out and people forget about a week later.
Vader182 wrote:any remake will condemn and ignore the paradigm of the era that forged Lawrence into an ageless classic.
Yeah doncha just hate it when people do that?

Posts: 449
Joined: January 2011
Vader182 wrote: Now, I realize it isn't an actual 'remake' and instead a mini-series found on the same historical account. Even so, for the above stated reasons, this will inevitably be a great injustice, and exactly part of what Steven Soderbergh took serious issue with in his brilliant address.

-Vader
You mean the guy that remade Solaris :lol:

Post Reply