Macbeth (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Strange clip to choose - he's in the film a lot more than that!

Seems to be a fortuitous role to play on screen; from the '44 version it was George Cole who went onto major success on British TV as Arthur Daley in Minder.

Now I've heard (by listening to Mark Kermode) that the role of Lady Macbeth is significantly reduced in this version and that this might either make or break the movie for some viewers. Would anyone here say that this is a fair statement?

ArmandFancypants wrote:Just got back. Kurzel takes a stance and rides with it throughout to tremendous effect. I think it's just a shade short of being a great film, but it's certainly the most arresting cinematic take of Shakespeare's text since Branagh's Henry V.
No love for Branagh's Hamlet?

Batfan175 wrote:Now I've heard (by listening to Mark Kermode) that the role of Lady Macbeth is significantly reduced in this version and that this might either make or break the movie for some viewers. Would anyone here say that this is a fair statement?
Yeah, it's reduced as is, well, everything. Critically though the role has been made far more sympathetic than you would usually expect.
anarchy wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:Just got back. Kurzel takes a stance and rides with it throughout to tremendous effect. I think it's just a shade short of being a great film, but it's certainly the most arresting cinematic take of Shakespeare's text since Branagh's Henry V.
No love for Branagh's Hamlet?
Nope, not really. A big gaudy mess.

Armand, a few people coming with me to see it at CIFF haven't read it or seen adaptations before.

Do you agree with Ant they may be a bit lost?

-Vader

Hmm... potentially, but if you pay attention and you can discern the core of what Shakespeare's lines are then you should be able to go with it.

More to the point, I think Kurzel does a good job of visualising the problems and the decisions so... yeah, should be OK, but that being said anyone's first go with any Shakespeare play is always an uphill battle; it gets better from here on in.

Kurzel's got a tremendous visual eye, and could definitely do a bit better with staging, but Fassbender and Cotillard are the most ravishing and ragged of all. B+

Full review here: http://wp.me/p1oNyz-vx

Doesn't have a release in Boston. :(

So beautiful :cry: