Spotlight (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
DreamWorks Picks Up Church Sex Abuse Scandal Film
In a move certain to spark controversy, DreamWorks Studios and Participant Media have acquired film rights to the story of the Catholic Church's decades-long cover-up of its pedophile priests in Massachusetts as uncovered during a yearlong investigation by the Boston Globe.
Tom McCarthy (The Visitor) has signed on to direct and co-write the script with Josh Singer (the upcoming WikiLeaks movie The Fifth Estate).

Anonymous Content's Michael Sugar and Steve Golin and Rocklin/Faust's Nicole Rocklin and Blye Faust will produce. David Mizner, who brought the project to the producers, will serve as a consultant and associate producer. Participant's Jonathan King and Jeff Skoll will serve as executive producers.
The team spent a year interviewing victims and reviewing thousands of pages of documents and discovered years of cover-up by Church leadership. Their reporting eventually led to the resignation of Cardinal Bernard Law, who had hidden years of serial abuse by other priests and opened the floodgates to other revelations of molestation and cover-ups around the world that still reverberate today.

The Globe team won the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service "for its courageous, comprehensive coverage of sexual abuse by priests, an effort that pierced secrecy; stirred local, national and international reaction; and produced changes in the Roman Catholic Church."

The Church has been very vocal in the past about films they see as depicting the faith in a negative light and organized boycotts of movies including The Da Vinci Code.

My radically conservative religious father should love this >_>

-Vader

lol do they really need to make this into a movie?
Say Girl

this will be one of the controversial film's of all time.

chinn70 wrote:this will be one of the controversial film's of all time.
Yeah, it'll supplant Clockwork Orange easily.

-Vader

If it's based on facts I'm not sure how it's controversial. They are the ones who ignored the problem and let it get to this point in the first place.
Say Girl

Someone fix this thread title. It's annoying looking as hell.

Peace wrote:
If it's based on facts I'm not sure how it's controversial. They are the ones who ignored the problem and let it get to this point in the first place.
I'm never one to ignore or promote any specific 'agenda' for the sake of factual truths, and I'm telling you despite some high-up church members making totally retarded decisions covering things up and trying to move priests around to mask the issue, the media has overblown the issue to a significant degree considering how little it has actually happened.

-Vader

well people strongly apposed to "The Da Vinci Code" movie .
and it's the same thing with this movie too , even if it's truth people strongly believe that somethings are better to be left (untold /shown)

Vader182 wrote:
Peace wrote:
I'm never one to ignore or promote any specific 'agenda' for the sake of factual truths, and I'm telling you despite some high-up church members making totally retarded decisions covering things up and trying to move priests around to mask the issue, the media has overblown the issue to a significant degree considering how little it has actually happened.

-Vader
What tells you it doesn't happen that much?
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.