Most depressing/nihilistic movie you have seen

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
BroskiSabor wrote:Not necessarily nihilistic, but Life is Beautiful is fucking depressing.
Strange. I find Life is Beautiful depressing but uplifting at the same time. It does offer a sense of hope and meaning so it definitely isn't nihilistic.

Dancer in the Dark is a movie I find absolutely depressing. I can't watch that without crying my eyes out.

anonymity wrote:
BroskiSabor wrote:Not necessarily nihilistic, but Life is Beautiful is fucking depressing.
Strange. I find Life is Beautiful depressing but uplifting at the same time. It does offer a sense of hope and meaning so it definitely isn't nihilistic.

Dancer in the Dark is a movie I find absolutely depressing. I can't watch that without crying my eyes out.
I suppose some can consider it uplifting in the end, but the fact that whole movie painted the main character out to be pretty much the nicest guy ever, and then mercilessly kills him just gets me every time.

BroskiSabor wrote:
anonymity wrote:

I suppose some can consider it uplifting in the end, but the fact that whole movie painted the main character out to be pretty much the nicest guy ever, and then mercilessly kills him just gets me every time.
One of my favorites movies of all time. There's no easy calification for the ending, but I think part of the movies charm is the fact that is able to see a positive aspect (the life and survival of the boy) in a horrifying situation (both from a political and personal perspectives).
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

Life as a House

Has its moments of nihilism and it certainly is depressing.

Lars von Trier's Antichrist

Snowtown Murders.

I felt sick for days.

What do you guys think about "Melancholia" by Lars von Trier? I thought it was beautifully shot, and it does something most mainstream films are afraid to do: everybody in it is a total asshole and it realistically depicts severe depression.

Angst , which is also one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Requiem for a Dream
Affliction
Irréversible
Girl Next Door(2007)
The Killer Inside Me(bad)
Bad Lieutenant

and many more

thrice wrote: Girl Next Door(2007)
Seeing you mention this, I remembered An American Crime, which is pretty similar to this. Maybe not the most depressing movie I've ever seen, but it definitely left me in dismal mood after watching.

Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom