Coolest Directors

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

/thread

Most directors listed here purely from idolising their film making, but hanging around with them -- hearing and reading their interviews - -would be just excruciating. Their vacuum of personality boring.

How about some with a force of personality. Guys who have a real human capacity: film making, fighting, fucking, thinking, self-depreciating, inspiring, interesting, and mischief-making.

DrunkOnAbsinthe wrote:Most directors listed here purely from idolising their film making, but hanging around with them -- hearing and reading their interviews - -would be just excruciating. Their vacuum of personality boring.

How about some with a force of personality. Guys who have a real human capacity: film making, fighting, fucking, thinking, self-depreciating, inspiring, interesting, and mischief-making.

Uh, this would be the Vincent Gallo who's on record as making a whole bunch of unappealing comments about blacks and Jews, yes? Not what I'd call "coolest", let alone self-deprecating or inspiring. And, post-Brown Bunny, I'm sure we'd all prefer not to think about him fucking.

Amelia wrote:
DrunkOnAbsinthe wrote:Most directors listed here purely from idolising their film making, but hanging around with them -- hearing and reading their interviews - -would be just excruciating. Their vacuum of personality boring.

Uh, this would be the Vincent Gallo who's on record as making a whole bunch of unappealing comments about blacks and Jews, yes? Not what I'd call "coolest", let alone self-deprecating or inspiring. And, post-Brown Bunny, I'm sure we'd all prefer not to think about him fucking.
He's often misquoted -- refer to the recorded minutes and not just these snippets. There are things he will say to certain predictable people who are gullible enough to take these literal. It's good to see his rep has made your last post a misstep, but I'm not gonna bust ya chops.

DrunkOnAbsinthe wrote:
Amelia wrote:
He's often misquoted -- refer to the recorded minutes and not just these snippets. There are things he will say to certain predictable people who are gullible enough to take these literal. It's good to see his rep has made your last post a misstep, but I'm not gonna bust ya chops.
Yes, I'm aware that he primarily says these things purely to get a reaction, and to my mind this is in many ways even more meatheaded than genuine, heartfelt bigotry. Anyone who thinks spouting hateful garbage makes them look edgy and anti-establishment is either a twelve-year-old or has the mentality of one.

Amelia wrote:
DrunkOnAbsinthe wrote:
Yes, I'm aware that he primarily says these things purely to get a reaction, and to my mind this is in many ways even more meatheaded than genuine, heartfelt bigotry. Anyone who thinks spouting hateful garbage makes them look edgy and anti-establishment is either a twelve-year-old or has the mentality of one.
He ain't sayin' it for the sake of it, but probably because the person he's speaking to deserves it.

I've noticed ya from Australia, Amelia. If you're ever free, I'm quite happy to hook up and go down under for some bush tucker, my little cosmopolitan Australian.

DrunkOnAbsinthe wrote:
Amelia wrote:
He ain't sayin' it for the sake of it, but probably because the person he's speaking to deserves it.

I've noticed ya from Australia, Amelia. If you're ever free, I'm quite happy to hook up and go down under for some bush tucker, my little cosmopolitan Australian.
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

DrunkonAbsinthe would be a fun guy to....drink absinth with.