Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This was posted on Bale's IMDB board.
original article in spanish here:
http://www.canarias7.es/articulo.cfm?id=295530

google translation:
Ridley Scott: "The island is stunning and again to shoot a great movie"

On Sunday, the filmmaker English breakfast eggs with bacon and questions from the local press. He avoided talking about the movie that provides roll in Gran Canaria, but half the world knows that it is preparing a blockbuster on Moses starring Christian Bale. He says he will return.

- What did you think of the Island?
- Is impressive. We went by helicopter and saw it all. We found a couple of very good locations so again. We are looking for natural beauty. But in that nature we have to build things and bring things, which is what I usually do. In other words, it is a movie about nature. Not what you want to tell because it is confidential. It's a super production that takes place in nature with different variants; natural scenery, landscapes, vast deserts ... Like Lawrence of Arabia had different scenarios, it will have different backgrounds.

- Did you find what you need?
-The nature here is very beautiful. What impressed me most is how clean and well run that is the island. Everything is painted in a warm. I look at these things, I am very picky. This is how I make my films, from the head. If you order, you have chaos.

- Do you like the diversity of landscapes?
- Yes, of course. I rode in Spain before the Kingdom of Heaven and 1492. Rode in Morocco Black Hawk Down, Gladiator and Body of Lies, I'm used to shooting in desert sites. The atmosphere here is similar. That makes things easier for me.

- What kind of movie plans?
-If I said something more than film landscape would know which movie it is and the truth is that there is a big competition that is not to say it is. It is written and the casting is over but I can not say who will be. We are already looking for locations is that we are approaching. When you make a film like this you can not get a Monday and say, we shot. No, you have six months of preparation, a unit with hundreds of people, traveling like a big circus, with support ...

- Most will be shot here?
- It will have a 19-week shoot. Here are some three weeks ... Six weeks with the team three weeks intensive preparation and the main unit.

-For the Spanish, Blade Runner is a milestone in the history of cinema. What about the second part?
- Yesterday I read the script. I wrote the script in the last seven weeks with the original author. We work with the original characters by what might be called Blade Runner II. It is green but the draft is pretty good.

THE RETURN OF ALIEN. Prometheus, the latest film by Scott's Alien prequel to his hit-not liked by the legion of fans of his previous film. "In the aftermath spends one thing: the end using the same animals and the same monsters and people get tired. So, the first Alien is by far the scariest. In the aftermath, the film do not unique. Alien was, but not ... Alien 2 the 4 and not scary. So I want to return to the idea of ​​something new. Something about the eternal question, on faith, "says the agnostic that Prometheus wanted to enter the mystical land. "We have 3.5 million years and man only 75,000 years. I do not think so. We may have had several previous incarnations of some form of civilization. "
Seems like Ridley is talking about the Moses film here. He's already scouting for locations and says that the casting is over.

chom wrote:I wonder if Scott's gonna leave in this part of the Moses story, from Numbers 31, where Moses gets pissed that his soldiers didn't kill all the adult women in a tribe they were pillaging:
And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
31:16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.
31:17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
31:18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.
This made me LOL hard. Is that really in there?
Say Girl

Peace wrote:
chom wrote:I wonder if Scott's gonna leave in this part of the Moses story, from Numbers 31, where Moses gets pissed that his soldiers didn't kill all the adult women in a tribe they were pillaging:
The old testament is the lulz which is why you should be scared when people believe it.

banepants wrote:
Peace wrote:
The old testament is the lulz which is why you should be scared when people believe it.
I grew up going to church. People pick and choose what to read in there. Like we can ignore certain parts of the bible. It does not work like that. Delusional thinking. IMHO
Say Girl

The problem with the Bible and the christians (one of them at least) is that some relay heavily on the Old Testament when in fact christian bible should be mainly the New Testament. you know? Christ - christian? basically Christ is the founder of christianism, the new religion for that time. There's very big difference between The Old and New, one of which (and the main one for me) is how God is portrayed. in the old one he is bassically "don't dissobey me and don't piss me off, or I'll fuck with you", whether in the new, now he calmed down considerably and it's good guy (well, except in the case of Jesus, because he still need to sacrifice himself). Another fuck up thing is that atheists pick on the christians citing what God did in the Old Testament (which is also something atheist they don't believe in :lol: ). Why not pick on the jews also for that? The Old Testament was pulled out of the Tora as far as I know.

I wonder if Scott's gonna leave in this part of the Moses story, from Numbers 31, where Moses gets pissed that his soldiers didn't kill all the adult women in a tribe they were pillaging]
Ridley has said that he considers religion to be "the biggest source of evil" so he's probably not going to glamorize the life of Moses.

JohnConstantine wrote:The problem with the Bible and the christians (one of them at least) is that some relay heavily on the Old Testament when in fact christian bible should be mainly the New Testament. you know? Christ - christian? basically Christ is the founder of christianism, the new religion for that time. There's very big difference between The Old and New, one of which (and the main one for me) is how God is portrayed. in the old one he is bassically "don't dissobey me and don't piss me off, or I'll fuck with you", whether in the new, now he calmed down considerably and it's good guy (well, except in the case of Jesus, because he still need to sacrifice himself). Another fuck up thing is that atheists pick on the christians citing what God did in the Old Testament (which is also something atheist they don't believe in :lol: ). Why not pick on the jews also for that? The Old Testament was pulled out of the Tora as far as I know.
The New Testament throws the old one out. But most people who go to church are too fucking stupid to know this. They just go with whatever pasterman tells them.
Say Girl

Religion again huh

Addicted2Movies wrote:Religion again huh
The film is about Moses :lol:

Not surprising we got off topic. I get frustrated when people pick and chose what to accept in The Bible. It's like nobody ask WWJD.

I won't get the thread off topic again ;)
Say Girl

JohnConstantine wrote:The problem with the Bible and the christians (one of them at least) is that some relay heavily on the Old Testament when in fact christian bible should be mainly the New Testament. you know? Christ - christian? basically Christ is the founder of christianism, the new religion for that time. There's very big difference between The Old and New, one of which (and the main one for me) is how God is portrayed. in the old one he is bassically "don't dissobey me and don't piss me off, or I'll fuck with you", whether in the new, now he calmed down considerably and it's good guy (well, except in the case of Jesus, because he still need to sacrifice himself). Another fuck up thing is that atheists pick on the christians citing what God did in the Old Testament (which is also something atheist they don't believe in :lol: ). Why not pick on the jews also for that? The Old Testament was pulled out of the Tora as far as I know.
Former Christian here. Seems like I post about religion a lot on here, but whatever. It's interesting.

The reason nonbelievers quote the genocides, rapes and child abuse in the OT is because Christians insist that The Bible is inerrant, the perfect guide to morality, that it's "god breathed" (Yahweh does a bit of writing when he's not making planets) and that their god is omnibenevolent. The NT isn't any better, because it adds in the threat of eternal torture for non-believers and preaches an imminent apocalypse (Jesus also tells you to castrate yourself if you've got the will to in Matthew 19:12). Beliefs like that have caused and continue to cause harm, and even if an atheist's goal isn't to deconvert believers, the problems with those books need to be pointed out to the more moderate Christians and Jews so that they can try to make their religions less of a threat to society.

I'd go into it more but this isn't the topic for it (we've got a religion thread anyway). If Scott presents Moses as flawed as he is in the Pentateuch than that would be a really brave decision, and Bale will probably go full force with a character like that. He'll probably go live in a tent and become a goat herder to prepare for the part.

It's gonna be hard to top Prince Of Egypt, though. That movie's the shit, and it develops the relationship between Moses and Ramses in a much more heartfelt way than anything done in Exodus. The burning bush scene is also pretty beautiful--the use of Val Kilmer's voice (run through a filter) for both Moses and Yahweh is very subtle and interesting.