Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ingwar wrote:
Ruth wrote:Jesus who are you? Our third grade English teacher?
Our? I didn't write to you.
Oh I'm so sorry I didn't ask for thy permission before replying to your post!

m4st4 wrote:What difference does it make, Colin Farrell is Irish and he played Alexander. Crowe is Australian and he played a Roman general. They're actors, they're supposed to adapt.
For me it doesn't make any difference. As you wrote, they are actors. Nevertheless I wouldn't like to see for example Latino Americans or Asian actors (Chinese, Japanese etc.) playing Moses and Ramesses. Would you? I'm not racist but it wouldn't work. It just a matter of taste. But then again, evey taste is relative.
Ruth wrote:Oh I'm so sorry I didn't ask for thy permission before replying to your post!
You don't have to apply anymore. I'm giving you neverending permission 8-).

Ingwar wrote:
m4st4 wrote:What difference does it make, Colin Farrell is Irish and he played Alexander. Crowe is Australian and he played a Roman general. They're actors, they're supposed to adapt.
For me it doesn't make any difference. As you wrote, they are actors. Nevertheless I wouldn't like to see for example Latino Americans or Asian actors (Chinese, Japanese etc.) playing Moses and Ramesses. Would you? I'm not racist but it wouldn't work. It just a matter of taste. But then again, evey taste is relative.
Ruth wrote:Oh I'm so sorry I didn't ask for thy permission before replying to your post!
You don't have to apply anymore. I'm giving you neverending permission 8-).
Whoa.. Um what? So, you wouldn't be okay with for example, actors like Javier Bardem or Benicio Del Toro playing either character? And if I were an actor I couldn't audition for Moses or Ramses? No, not racist at all. Not calling you racist but just saying it doesn't make sense.

jcvargas09 wrote: Whoa.. Um what? So, you wouldn't be okay with for example, actors like Javier Bardem or Benicio Del Toro playing either character? And if I were an actor I couldn't audition for Moses or Ramses? No, not racist at all. Not calling you racist but just saying it doesn't make sense.
Regarding Bardem (he is Spanish not Latin American but it doesn't matter) I wouldn't mind of course. I just generalised. There is always some exception. Would you like to see Asian actor playing Moses or Ramesses? I'm not racist. Just being honest. It's the same as I wouldn't like to see Japanese samurai being portrayed by Caucasian actor.

Ingwar wrote:
jcvargas09 wrote: Whoa.. Um what? So, you wouldn't be okay with for example, actors like Javier Bardem or Benicio Del Toro playing either character? And if I were an actor I couldn't audition for Moses or Ramses? No, not racist at all. Not calling you racist but just saying it doesn't make sense.
Regarding Bardem (he is Spanish not Latin American but it doesn't matter) I wouldn't mind of course. I just generalised. There is always some exception. Would you like to see Asian actor playing Moses or Ramesses? I'm not racist. Just being honest. It's the same as I wouldn't like to see Japanese samurai being portrayed by Caucasian actor.
Bardem being Spanish does make him a Latino. Not Latin American, but Latino.

jcvargas09 wrote:
Ingwar wrote:
Bardem being Spanish does make him a Latino. Not Latin American, but Latino.
No, it doesn't. Bardem is Hispanic.
"...though the term has also been incorrectly used as a synonym for Hispanic."

New clip called Miriam. Great acting!

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/watch-chri ... 14107.html

Interview with Sigourney Weaver about Exodus:
KK: Tell me about the new film. Is this the biblical Exodus or the Leon Uris Exodus?
SW: It’s the biblical one, and I play Tuya, the wife of one of the pharaohs. My son is Ramses the Great, played by Joel Edgerton. John Turturro is the Pharaoh Seti. I’m not his favorite wife, but I’m the mother of the prince. To keep my power, I need my son to become pharaoh. Moses, played by Christian Bale, is the golden boy. He makes my son look impulsive and small-minded. Through the whole movie, in basically every scene I have, it’s: “Kill Moses.” “Why didn’t you kill Moses?” “For crying out loud, will you please kill Moses!”
KK: It must have taken five minutes to make you into an Egyptian queen.
SW: My dear makeup artist, Linda DeVetta, transformed me. I had the most beautiful costumes by Janty Yates. They found these craftspeople I haven’t worked with since the last time I worked with Ridley [on 1492: Conquest of Paradise]. They took scarab beetles and peacock feathers and made them into a headdress for me. It’s mind-boggling the things I paraded around in.

KK: Do you think Ramses would be king in spite of his mother or because of her?
SW: I have a lot to do with him becoming Ramses the Great. Even though he doesn’t do what I say, he knows I’m right. At a certain point, he realizes it.
KK: His willful disobedience shows a certain kind of power, doesn’t it?
SW: That’s true.
KK: What parts of the role have had the most personal resonance for you? What aspect of your own personality were you able to draw upon for the role?
SW: Well I do love eye makeup.
KK: [Laughs] So that was your connection to the character?
SW: Have you ever done an ancient epic?
KK: I played Prometheus in college, but on the screen, no. Is the historical fiction in the script the backstory?
SW: You don’t feel like you’re in a biblical epic. It’s accessible. They were focusing on the relationships.
KK: So it’s relevant?
SW: I think it is. I’m only in court, a woman without any power, but someone who is pretending she’s the most powerful woman in Egypt. And her son doesn’t even listen to her! I don’t get to go on the chariots or on the Red Sea parting, [but] it’s going to be everything you want a Ridley Scott movie to be—gorgeous, suspenseful, out there.

KK: Reports say you have some va-va-voom costumes.
SW: They certainly are va-va-voom, because they wanted me to be a total sexpot. And it’s a waste, because all my energy is going into my son.
KK: In the movie is your husband actively rapacious?
SW: He seems so pro-Moses. He knew that if he were to let me through his door, all I would do is say, “Kill Moses.” I found it very interesting to play someone in a court. There’s a lot of politics, and we don’t live like that, though occasionally, we’ll be out at a party in Hollywood and I’ll think everyone is playing a role.

Read more at http://gotham-magazine.com/personalitie ... jDLBGRi.99
More here: http://gotham-magazine.com/personalitie ... -and-kings

Edgerton impressed me in that clip, he's going to be great, possibly even better than Bale but that remains to be seen - their dinamic will certainly lead this film.

Edgerton's always good. Underrated actor in my opinion.

Edgerton's going to chew up Bale and spit him back out
:P