Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Not a fan of most of MCU's, but kinda curious about Black Widow
Hoping for something a little more ambitious than that old MCU's comfort zone
They have a really good opportunity with this one

John Woo made some mild comments about the MCU and of course the fanbase was not happy to hear even the mildest implication of criticism: https://deadline.com/2019/11/john-woo-l ... 202787915/

So when John Woo said that he was concerned that the MCU superhero films will 'make young audiences get lost when it comes to knowledge about films' the MCU's rabid fanbase proceeded to dunk on him next, saying he's jealous of the MCU's financial success and that he can't direct...do these people even know who John Woo is by the way? But I think that's the common pattern here: these people don't know much about any of these directors' work and yet decide to deal with this in the harshest way possible over (tbh) fairly mild comments. That's where you get the nonsense of 'Scorsese only ever made gangster flicks so what does he know?'
To imply that John Woo has not influenced how action films are shot or that he has not directed some fairy memorable films or that a variety in taste in films is somehow a bad thing now is laughable on its face.

Batfan175 wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 1:52 am
do these people even know who John Woo is by the way?

Decided to start watching all of these movies for the first time to see what the hoopla is all about. Plus my brain is already rotting at a steady pace, might as well accelerate it.

So far, I'd place them as so:

Iron Man
Iron Man 3
Thor
Captain America
The Avengers
Iron Man 2

Just finished Iron Man 3 last night, and so far it's the only one with any real meat on it's bones (I just enjoy the first one more on a superficial level). I don't understand the hate it's received - it's a pretty good movie and the best written one, in my opinion. Kingsley is hilarious and Guy Pearce is great at playing sleazy. Iron Man 3 tries to have it's own voice despite the overall wireframe it's locked into, which I appreciate.

The Avengers and Iron Man 2 are hot doo-doo though. The writing in the former is offensive, and the latter is mostly rendered pointless.

Did you completely forget about the masterpiece that is The Incredible Hulk tho? :P

Dobson wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 1:36 pm
Did you completely forget about the masterpiece that is The Incredible Hulk tho? :P
Lol.

I couldn't find it and I was told not to bother anyways

ChristNolan wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 1:42 pm
Dobson wrote:
Lol.

I hear it’s better than Inception.

@ Resident Brie Haters
jk

My main problem with the MCU isn't the fact that many of their films are formualic, but the fact that the approach which they've taken in regards to tonality of each (post-Avengers) film is paint by numbers self-aware comedy routine, which is highly distracting and often ruins my immersion when watching the film. Too much comedy, and not even the kind of comedy I'd appreciate. Hearing phrases like "I'd F Thor" & "It's The Devil's Anus" isn't my idea of funny, but to each their own. My personal idea of a goofy humor that works in a superhero movie are Richard Donner's Superman and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man. You get to hear corny lines & see some over-the-top slapstick, but it all has a heart behind and is rather innocent. You never hear any dick jokes in Raimi's Spider-Man or even a slight sexual innuendo. On the contrary, MCU SP films are filled from top to bottom with those dull early 2000s jokes from American Pie.
Last edited by Batman's Batman on December 25th, 2019, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allstar wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 6:17 pm
ChristNolan wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 1:42 pm
Dobson wrote:
Lol.

I hear it’s better than Inception.
The Incredible Hulk was a badass action flick. Nothing more, nothing less. Growing up with 1996s TIH cartoon and Peter David's Hulk comics, I couldn't be happier seeing Hulk have a throwdown with Abomination in Harlem.