Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Finally, a mature response to this whole ridiculous discussion by way of Jon Favreau.
"These two guys are my heroes, and they have earned the right to express their opinions,” Favreau told CNBC in an interview Tuesday morning. “I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing if they didn’t carve the way. They served as a source of inspiration, you can go all the way back to Swingers.... They can express whatever opinion they like.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... sm-1249252

Oh God, thank you, Favreau... this is exactly what I was thinking ever since Scorsese's comments were picked up by media outlets.

HorrorBiz wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 2:08 am
Finally, a mature response to this whole ridiculous discussion by way of Jon Favreau.
"These two guys are my heroes, and they have earned the right to express their opinions,” Favreau told CNBC in an interview Tuesday morning. “I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing if they didn’t carve the way. They served as a source of inspiration, you can go all the way back to Swingers.... They can express whatever opinion they like.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... sm-1249252
The only correct response. And apparently he has seen Spider-verse and appreciated the innovation and performances, so not everything is cut and dried.

I only wish he was more eloquent about his female centric movies response. I get what he was probably trying to say but came out differently.

I know a lot of old school theater teachers, male or female, who always say there is no play/drama without male-female dynamic on stage.

Everybody has a different definition of cinema. Everybody has a different definition of art. Everybody has a different definition of risk. Some people don’t think it’s cinema. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Everyone is entitled to repeat that opinion. Everyone is entitled to write op-eds about that opinion, and I look forward to what will happen next. But in the meantime, we’re going to keep making movies.
- Feige

Master Virgo wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 2:28 pm
Everybody has a different definition of cinema. Everybody has a different definition of art. Everybody has a different definition of risk. Some people don’t think it’s cinema. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Everyone is entitled to repeat that opinion. Everyone is entitled to write op-eds about that opinion, and I look forward to what will happen next. But in the meantime, we’re going to keep making movies.
- Feige
Yeah, well Scorsese and Coppola have made some of the greatest films of all time, whereas the voices of the directors Feige hired for this very expensive tv show are barely noticeable in the majority of cases and the MCU films mostly follow a bland and repetitive formula. If cinema is the visual expression of an artist's voice then most of these MCU movies fail in that regard. And sure, they're gonna keep making these films but mainly because there's money to be made, not because there's an artistic need to communicate some great and nuanced ideas and emotions to the audience.

quoting so that this is the first message people see when they open this thread
Master Virgo wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 2:28 pm
- Feige

Okay, then

5 new MCU movies dated for 2022 and 2023

So starting in 2021 we'll get 4 MCU movies a year, not to mention all those Disney+ series :crazy:

May 1, 2020: Black Widow

November 6, 2020: The Eternals

February 12, 2021: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

May 7, 2021: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

July 16, 2021: Spider-Man 3

November 5, 2021: Thor: Love and Thunder

February 18, 2022: ???

May 6, 2022: Black Panther II

July 29, 2022: ???

October 7, 2022: ???

February 17, 2023: ???

May 5, 2023: ???

July 28, 2023: ???

November 3, 2023: ???

The remaining slots could be filled with already confirmed movies like Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Captain Marvel 2, Ant-Man 3, Blade, or Fantastic Four/Mutants, among others

Other than GotG 3 and Thor: Love and Thunder, none of these are particularly interesting to me. I guess I get to spend my money on films made by studios and filmmakers which are currently struggling and actually do need support from the audience.

Except for Black Widow and Eternals, all of them are interesting for me, depending if they live up to their potential. Shang Chi could be an awesome martial arts movie, Doctor Strange could be what the first one should have been, and Thor, Guardians, Black Panther or Blade are obviously a must watch. But I'm still most excited for WandaVision. It sounds fascinating.