Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 6:16 pm
they're hipsters because they have mustaches and man buns and don't wear socks and read jonathan franzen while drinking kombucha
-Vader
excuse me but what the fuck

I mean, a customer doesn't order McDonald's and expects to get a fine dinner but said customer also should not try to convince other people that it is anything other than a mediocre cheeseburger he's eating. And he most definitely should be able to accept the fact that there are people in the world who don't like eating McDonald's cheeseburgers because they think they taste terrible and contain ingredients of questionable quality.

Batfan175 wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 3:29 am
I mean, a customer doesn't order McDonald's and expects to get a fine dinner but said customer also should not try to convince other people that it is anything other than a mediocre cheeseburger he's eating. And he most definitely should be able to accept the fact that there are people in the world who don't like eating McDonald's cheeseburgers because they think they taste terrible and contain ingredients of questionable quality.
Yep, you could say that about GoT's without GRRM's vision.

Many of our grandfathers thought all gangster movies were the same, often calling them “despicable”. Some of our great grandfathers thought the same of westerns, and believed the films of John Ford, Sam Peckinpah, and Sergio Leone were all exactly the same. I remember a great uncle to whom I was raving about Star Wars. He responded by saying, “I saw that when it was called 2001, and, boy, was it boring!” Superheroes are simply today’s gangsters/cowboys/outer space adventurers. Some superhero films are awful, some are beautiful. Like westerns and gangster movies (and before that, just MOVIES), not everyone will be able to appreciate them, even some geniuses. And that’s okay. ❤️
- James Gunn

Source: Instagram

Ruth wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 6:50 pm
lol ikr

Allstar wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 3:55 am
Batfan175 wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 3:29 am
Yep, you could say that about GoT's without GRRM's vision.
Naa, that's just people not linking their much-needed vegetables after they asked for vegetables and thinking they can just ask and pay for a chocolate cake instead...after they ate the vegetables and when that restaurant never had chocolate cake on the menu. Ever.

Ruth wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 6:50 pm
I missed this gif

Master Virgo wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 5:01 am
Many of our grandfathers thought all gangster movies were the same, often calling them “despicable”. Some of our great grandfathers thought the same of westerns, and believed the films of John Ford, Sam Peckinpah, and Sergio Leone were all exactly the same. I remember a great uncle to whom I was raving about Star Wars. He responded by saying, “I saw that when it was called 2001, and, boy, was it boring!” Superheroes are simply today’s gangsters/cowboys/outer space adventurers. Some superhero films are awful, some are beautiful. Like westerns and gangster movies (and before that, just MOVIES), not everyone will be able to appreciate them, even some geniuses. And that’s okay. ❤️
- James Gunn

Source: Instagram
It's not a great argument to compare your uncle and Coppola... I mean someone who thinks Ford and Leone are making the same film is just wrong.
I think James Gunn has made two very good super-hero movies, and I'd even add that GOTG2 is probably the last act of a Marvel film that feels the most character driven. But his arguments against Coppola and Scorsese are quite weak, imo and in the end, mostly relativism.

Lol, now people have started bashing Coppola's films online. I've seen a bad take on twitter where someone said the CGI in Bram Stoker's Dracula was bad....when that film is almost entirely practical effects. What's terrible is that these 'fans' want acknowledgment so much that they're seriously demanding that the older generation like whatever the younger audience is into.
Last edited by Batfan175 on October 21st, 2019, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coppola dissing blockbuster nonsense = coppola is out of touch with modern times? i laugh at thee