Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Dobson wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:34 pm
But isn't Disney wanting more money also understandable considering the success of the latest Spider-Man movies was Marvel's doing and not Sony's?

I'm not sure with which company to side tbh
Disney made billions from The Avengers and Sony didn't see a single cent from Spider-Man being in those movies. Imagine demanding 50% of investment and the box office revenue from a company that did you a massive favor like that less than 5 years ago. Sony was also reportedly open to compromises even though they weren't expecting the deal to be altered. It was Disney and Disney alone that got greedy after FFH grossed a billion at the box office.

Spidey's always been a solo character anyhow, so while disappointing, it's not a huge deal.

Also no one has gotten Spider-Man right in live-action thus far, and whether it's Sony or Marvel, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

When they fucked up Spider-Man for a third time, they come back begging for a deal. If they haven't been bought by Disney by then that is.

Disney hasn't even made a public response because they're piggy-backing off MCU fanboys boycotting Sony and vilifying them. And it may work because people are eating it up.

Dobson wrote:
But isn't Disney wanting more money also understandable considering the success of the latest Spider-Man movies was Marvel's doing and not Sony's?

I thought the point of the deal originally was that Disney can use Spider-Man in Avengers etc, and Sony gets the benefit from having their solo movies being part of the MCU --> Both sides win. Spider-Man is a fan-favorite character, so yes, Disney also benefits from having the character in their movies.

Disney wanting more money is not necessarily unreasonable, but they were basically blackmailing Sony to give them HALF of the profit from future movies. Spider-Man is by far Sony's biggest franchise and the profit is extremely important to the company. I'm glad Sony didn't cave, even if I liked spider-man in the MCU. I'm not against Disney, but this is stupid.

Raimi/Maguire: 2002 - 2007 †

Webb/Garfield: 2012 - 2014 †

MCU/Holland: 2016 - 2019 †

bruh

Holland will star in at least two more (possibly crossover with Venom) and Disney losing two movies in a fucking sea of cash cows is NOT a case for crying these days. Sony recently did Spider-verse and they produced Raimi’s double whammy so please, internet, take a chill pill. Not to mention FFH left things open for a true, you know, standalone Spider-Man movie.

Yeah I feel the MCU obligatory checkbox references are weighing down these Spider-Man movies. I really don’t think it’s a big problem to go on their own.

Bacon wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 3:24 pm
Dobson wrote:

Disney made billions from The Avengers and Sony didn't see a single cent from Spider-Man being in those movies. Imagine demanding 50% of investment and the box office revenue from a company that did you a massive favor like that less than 5 years ago. Sony was also reportedly open to compromises even though they weren't expecting the deal to be altered. It was Disney and Disney alone that got greedy after FFH grossed a billion at the box office.
Exactly. Also, let's not forget that Disney wanted an absurd 50-50 split and say on ALL Spidey future projects, which means Venom, Morbius, a SpiderVerse sequel, etc.

It's a ridiculous demand to give Sony, for whom this is the most and other than Jumanji, only successful IP at the moment. How would the company be making money on a 50-50 split? Basically Sony would be giving the rights back to Disney for free and people are angry at Sony?

Not to mention that Sony already wasn't getting any revenue from Spider-Man toys, gadgets, theme parks, etc. That all went to Disney.

Some say this is a high stakes online play between the two. Disney uses the silence to rile up the fans online to 'take a stand against the evil Sony corp.', while Sony went ahead and made a statement.

Basically, Disney are being greedy 'evil' (gotta keep it cheesy amirite) fucks and Sony decided to trust their in-house talent, which may be tainted by couple of Spidey misfires, but had a huge critical and financial hits in Spider-verse recently, and unexpectedly huge financial hit in Venom. So yeah, if I were Sony, I'd simply dig in and let the quality speak for itself instead, save a couple of million bucks too.

If this were X-Men and Fantastic Four, I'd be pissed, but Sony has a much better track record with the character.

Like I said before, FFH created an ideal setup for many more Tom Holland led Spidey flicks a la Raimi era. It's his world now, we don't need MCU reference #47 to get something more out of it. Hell, maybe they even acknowledge uncle Ben's death this time round. And I'm all for that inevitable Hardy-Holland clash!