Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Huh?

Batfan175 wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 6:05 pm
Ruth wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 5:53 pm
no, i don’t feel so self important to put myself through watching every entry of a series that i hate just so i could comment on it. but then again i’m not very into masochism either
Disney has such sights to show me. But when I go watch MCU films I don't cry because it's a waste of good suffering.

Allstar wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 5:28 pm
Yes, they never improve. Black Panther is of the same quality of Iron Man 2.
I have some problems with that film on a technical level (boring + unconvincing CG-battle at the end, Wakanda consists of like 3 sets) and in terms of some of its messages (for example, the sympathetic CIA agent).
I like the film a lot, like a lot a lot but the CIA agent being a good guy rubbed me the wrong way. I'm hoping that it’s a metaphor for how the CIA involvement has always functioned in developing countries — Divide, conquer, exploit, arm all sides, and create mayhem.

Also, a lot of my friends recommended that I should read “Death in the Congo: Murdering Patrice Lumumba”. His real life story inspired the original Black Panther comics. He was assassinated by the CIA for being a Pan-African revolutionary and for his resistance against imperialism. That was my favourite part with regards to this film.

Francis Ford Coppola has entered the chat
"When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he's right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration.

"I don't know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again," the 80-year-old filmmaker said.

"Martin was kind when he said it's not cinema. He didn't say it's despicable, which I just say it is."
https://news.yahoo.com/coppola-backs-sc ... 12180.html

Artemis wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 8:18 am
"When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he's right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration.

"I don't know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again," the 80-year-old filmmaker said.

"Martin was kind when he said it's not cinema. He didn't say it's despicable, which I just say it is."
GOAT! Noone should be surprised by the way that the new Hollywood is fighting against a system led by producer.

They are generally not for 80 years old folks, that much is for sure.

I remember an interview on Youtube with Coppola and some current directors (including PTA). And the younger directors asked him what was his biggest regret.
And he had two: the first one was not having shot One from the heart with multiple cameras in two/three days as he intended until Storaro opposed.
The second one was to leave younger directors an industry where directors still had to fight for creative power, that is obsessed with the Box office.
It's James Gray who recently said in a wonderful interview "Everybody admires John Ford's level of excellency in Stagecoach or How green was my valley, but he had already done forty films by then. Now, if you do two films and they don't work well, you're out."
In the same time, strangely, Peyton Reed probably worked more on the editing of Ant-Man than Ford worked on the editing of My Darling Clementine or Ophuls on the editing of Letter from an unknown woman.
So there's progress and recession... But I find beauty and melancholy in the idea that Scorsese and Coppola feel they failed cinema.

Artemis wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 8:18 am

Once again DC fandom are eating these comments up. Coppola disliking Iron Man doesn't mean he loves Aquaman.

Artemis wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 1:54 pm
Once again DC fandom are eating these comments up. Coppola disliking Iron Man doesn't mean he loves Aquaman.
Yep, this is not a DC vs Marvel thing. This is a Nolan/Raimi/Burton's singular super-hero movies versus big blockbuster controled by their producers, in Scorsese's and Coppola's mind.
Also they say MCU but when they say that, they definitely also have in mind Fast and furious, all the many remakes... They refer to MCU as the symbol of a production system they despise.

Yes MCU is the catch-all for these types of movies the way Nintendo was for video games for a long while.