Doctor Strange (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Tl;dw?

Oh and I didn't really cared about Marvel comics to be honest. Even when I am buying paperback, it's either DC or Vertigo, but never Marvel.

Pratham wrote:Tl;dw?

Oh and I didn't really cared about Marvel comics to be honest. Even when I am buying paperback, it's either DC or Vertigo, but never Marvel.
Same. I always get DC, Vertigo, and Image.

It's not so much a problem with appealing to "SJWs" but a problem with not being able to get the people who watch the movies to read the comics.

I know some people started getting into DC comics after watching the DC films so far. While DC does have its flaws with the movies, the films do make people want more of a certain character and make people want to read more stories of them too. That might explain DC's surge in sales.

I read TASM, Spider-Gwen and Ms.Marvel on a monthly basis. Akv said it best.

akv1984 wrote:>SJWs
>real comic fans

You do realize that superheroes are literal SJWs. Right? You can't be a real comic fan without caring about social issues that comics have ALWAYS addressed. To complain about comics addressing social and political issues is ignoring the reason why comics were created in the first place---to address social and political issues. You just can't call yourself a real comic book fan if this is what ticks you off about comics.
In a way you're right, but so are the critics. There's also a problem of overdoing something to the point of propaganda or obnoxiousness. What Nolan did in the trilogy was great - he discussed the issues of inequality and oversight without the need of shoving a viewpoint down your throat and you could make of it what you wanted (there were republicans who criticized him for TDKR, as there were democrats).

I'm a liberal and yet even I cringe when I see those examples in the video.

For Marvel the best (modern stuff) I can recommend are Kieron Gillen's runs (Iron Man, Journey Into Mystery and technically Darth Vader). Tom King's Vision's pretty good. Kamala Khan's Ms. Marvel too (can't wait to have her in the MCU).

I think Marvel's problem with it's super hero stuff is that they try to make comics imitate movies too much. In some ways, that's not necessarily a bad thing (RDJ made Tony Stark a much more interesting and compelling character than he ever was in the comics so telling stories about that Tony's an actual good idea) but films that are designed to be blockbusters have some constrains (runtime, character decisions, appeal...) you shouldn't always bind a comic with (as it's something much cheaper to produce, that could target a more niche audience - Think, I don't need millions of fans but I want to keep the ones a I have hooked).

LelekPL wrote:
akv1984 wrote:>SJWs
>real comic fans

You do realize that superheroes are literal SJWs. Right? You can't be a real comic fan without caring about social issues that comics have ALWAYS addressed. To complain about comics addressing social and political issues is ignoring the reason why comics were created in the first place---to address social and political issues. You just can't call yourself a real comic book fan if this is what ticks you off about comics.
In a way you're right, but so are the critics. There's also a problem of overdoing something to the point of propaganda or obnoxiousness. What Nolan did in the trilogy was great - he discussed the issues of inequality and oversight without the need of shoving a viewpoint down your throat and you could make of it what you wanted (there were republicans who criticized him for TDKR, as there were democrats).

I'm a liberal and yet even I cringe when I see those examples in the video.
I feel like so many of the examples in the video was taken out of context. Comic books are always ridiculous by nature so you can take one panel out and have a laugh at how ridiculous that panel is. I think that's what the creator of the video did. He took out panels where they explicitly discuss feminism and didn't even care to give us the context or a summary of what the story was about.

That's also true. I honestly wouldn't know if it's in fact that bad since I don't read Marvel (I recently stopped reading DC as well)

On a visual level this was the most interesting MCU film to date. Some crazy visuals which also looked good, sans for the occasional often green screen shot but they weren't jarring. Once again a pity that the cinematography was lacking.. Could've pulled the visuals to a higher level.
But the rest was perfectly in line with the typical MCU movie. Mostly when it comes to the villain, and the cringeworthy humor... Pure waste of Mikkelsen's talent and the humor downgraded moments which were meant to be impactful. Sadly, I figure they're never going to stop doing that in these films.
However, I liked Cumberbatch's performance, sans the fact that he didn't look comfortable in delivering the comedy. I liked that Stephen was
very much upset when he killed a man. Tony just shoots them left and right and doesn't even shrug.
I really hope they keep Stephen's character development in line other than the 180 they pulled with Tony right away with Iron Man 2...

In the end it was nothing special, a simple superhero action film for kids. But with pretty visuals which is a nice change for a MCU film.

NF-O-Meter going to happen?

Yep. Waiting for more ratings.£

Master Virgo wrote:Yep. Waiting for more ratings.£
7.5 for me then.