Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Hardy is a far better talent than Gibson and he's much better when he actually tries. But Mel is just much better as the "tormented hero". When the dude cries or is hurt, it's difficult to find another actor to convey toughness and vulnerability at the same time as well as Gibson has in his prime. His Max just felt more real when beaten, broken. With Hardy I only saw him going thorugh the motions.

To be fair they each portray a very different rendition of the character. Hardy's version has seen a lot more shit than Gibson in his lifetime and has a more intensely pessimistic behaviour towards his surroundings. It would only seem natural for him to feel a lot less livelier in the outside and Hardy's dead eyes are perfect for conveying that sense.£

I don't think there has ever been any confirmation that this takes place after Road Warrior... Even if it had, I think that there isn't much else that could make you less lively than living through your wife and infant son being murdered (or young daughter as it was changed for some inexplicable reason in Fury Road). Whatever happened later really wouldn't make a bigger impact than that. That's about as cranked to eleven as you get. Hardy was just off.

The timeframe doesn't matter, this is a much tougher environment than the one Gibson inhabited in. What is very clear is that Max has gone on to feel attached to many other people only to lose them again and again. In other words Hardy's Max has been seriously pushed to the edge of insanity in contrary to the Gibson's version who was only angry and vengeful because of experiencing one traumatic event.£

LelekPL wrote:I don't think there has ever been any confirmation that this takes place after Road Warrior... Even if it had, I think that there isn't much else that could make you less lively than living through your wife and infant son being murdered (or young daughter as it was changed for some inexplicable reason in Fury Road).
I never thought it was a daughter. I thought it was a young boy with longer hair.

Bacon wrote:
LelekPL wrote:I don't think there has ever been any confirmation that this takes place after Road Warrior... Even if it had, I think that there isn't much else that could make you less lively than living through your wife and infant son being murdered (or young daughter as it was changed for some inexplicable reason in Fury Road).
I never thought it was a daughter. I thought it was a young boy with longer hair.
It's 2016. You both should know better than to assume their gender.

Caekzor wrote:
Bacon wrote:

Caekzor wrote:
Bacon wrote:
hehe, good one.

But seriously, she looks like a girl to me: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5795532/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t26

Bacon wrote:
I assumed it was some random girl who died when her settlement was attacked and Max wasn't there to help them.

Another fan theory is that the Max is a legend in post-apocalyptic folklore. So depending on the storyteller, Max's backstory changes a lot.

Black & Chrome now out on Digital HD