HBO's The Wire

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Too good of a show not to have its own thread. Discuss.
Why you lurking my page brah?

One of the best shows on television ever, absolutely riveting. Thanks to Teddy for recommending it.

-Vader

Bless you Dodd. Imo right there in the TOP 3 Television of all time with The Sopranos and Breaking Bad!

Prince, hop in the train to Baltimore already.

m4st4 wrote:

Bless you Dodd. Imo right there in the TOP 3 Television of all time with The Sopranos and Breaking Bad!

Prince, hop in the train to Baltimore already.
You really think he deserves rank with the likes of The Wire and The Sopranos? Homeland? Game of Thrones? Battlestar?

-Vader

^ Who is ''he''? You mean Breaking Bad?

Game of Thrones is not as nearly that good. Homeland is close but it's to early to tell.

Sometimes I forget I'm in the minority with Breaking Bad. I think people's reaction to it is extremely sensationalized. I love the show, don't get me wrong, I love it, especially seasons 3 and 4. But, I also think it's an incredibly thin series with little to offer to one's brain other than general speculation where the story can go, which lately has been predictable. It's un-academic and mostly just incredibly awesome, but Homeland's about a hundred times more complex on every level, is wholly relevant to today's world and achieves challenging the audience's preconceptions towards the conflict in the middle east and government, all the while boasting amongst the most cinematic photograph and editing. Oh yeah, and their two lead performances were so amazing they won Emmy's.

I dunno. I don't 'get' 'best series of all time' talk associated with Breaking Bad at times. In most modes of analysis/thought, it's a lesser show to a few on air by a wide margin in my opinion.

-Vader

I absolutely love this show, i haven't seen a show quite like it. It just felt so real and raw.

For me it's definitely above Battlestar Galactica, or Game of Thrones, and Homeland is (almost) right up there. Here's why:

Breaking Bad's protagonist managed to change his personality from season 1 to season 5, all of the main characters are fully fleshed out and feel realistic, like someone from the outside world trying to live through extreme circumstances. I wouldn't put it in TOP 3 if it weren't for seasons 4 & 5, since those two also managed to satisfy me on the pure aestethic level. More often than not, aesthetic choices actually impacted the storyline itself, it's way above the surface level of chemistry teacher gone bad at this point, it's a character DRAMA. Now, Battlestar Galactica was exactly like that, but in space, and I love it to death (own it on Blu, every single season), it's just that, imo, it also started to deteriorate during its final hours, all the exciting and ''edgy'' sort of stuff became old news and they got wrapped around in too much spiritual overthinking without actually getting somewehere. However I very much liked the final resolution. Game of Thrones... ah. I've red all of the books twice, have you? It's waaay above that gratuitous sex and violence, way above. So I wouldn't even put it in my TOP 10 to be frank. As for Homeland, already said it, time will tell, we had 15 or so episodes, can't really judge a series, or put it in my TOP 3 with that number in head. I'm also interested to check out Treme, from the creators of The Wire, that should also be the s*** to watch, as they say - loving the New Orleans setting.

Curious, what's everybody's favorite Wire season?

m4st4 wrote:^ Who is ''he''? You mean Breaking Bad?

Game of Thrones is not as nearly that good. Homeland is close but it's to early to tell.
No no game of thrones is like top 3 best tv shows ever created after 2 seasons objectively!
just in case someone doesnt get it-it's sarcasm

Mr. Caine wrote:
m4st4 wrote:^ Who is ''he''? You mean Breaking Bad?

No no game of thrones is like top 3 best tv shows ever created after 2 seasons objectively!
just in case someone doesnt get it-it's sarcasm
Liar liar pants on fire.
it's a poem