87th Academy Awards: 2015

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Dodd wrote:Some internet comment:
JK Simmons wins and the orchestra tries to play him off, we better get a dismissive "Not my tempo" from him as he completely ignores them.
:lol:
:lol: People did not give a single fuck about the orchestra at all. On that one guy they just flat out gave the fuck up, which I don't remember happening before (at least of the ceremonies I've seen).

Hell, at that point don't they usually outright cut the mic?

Dodd wrote:Some internet comment:
JK Simmons wins and the orchestra tries to play him off, we better get a dismissive "Not my tempo" from him as he completely ignores them.
:lol:

I can put my bias and fanboyism aside to say I understand virtually every choice in this years winner list.

But ... was Big Hero 6 even that good?

I'm asking sincerely, cuz I'm considering seeing it now.

Quite possibly the worst animated movie that has won the Oscar, not considering Happy Feet. This is the fourth year in a row that the award for the best animated feature goes to an undeserving winner. For a while it seemed to be the one category that the Academy could've made right for the most number of times.£

Yeah, I'm nearly convinced the Academy simply doesn't look at animation with the proper magnifying glass. Maybe they used to, but it just hasn't been evident lately.

I haven't seen BH6 yet, but just considering it's mixed reception, and The Lego Movie's snub (hell, even How To Train Your Dragon Tattoo would have been a solid choice), it's like the most puzzling choice since Slumdog Millionaire winning best picture.

Also, this is the first time I saw a Best Picture winner BEFORE the nominations were announced. Usually I just play catch-up at the end of the year.

Master Virgo wrote:Quite possibly the worst animated movie that has won the Oscar, not considering Happy Feet. This is the fourth year in a row that the award for the best animated feature goes to an undeserving winner. For a while it seemed to be the one category that the Academy could've made right for the most number of times.£
I'd have gone with Ernest & Celestine last year, and ParaNorman the year before, but Rango is awesome.

Princess Kaguya should hve won among the nominees imo. Why do they keep nominating these films if Disney and/or Pixar can just buy the Oscar every year? Brave, Frozen, Big Hero 6 are all ok films but they don't do amazing cretive things or tell subversive stories to the extent that some of the other nominees over the years did. I'm going to predict that whatever animated film Disney/Pixar release next year it'll win an Oscar because quality does not matter here, mainly because the Oscar voters don't care about the category, which I know for a fact because how else could they not have nominated the LEGO movie? Was it so they could nominate yet another Disney film instead? I was already mad when Ratatouille won over Persepolis in 2007 because this category is an indicator for the big studios just buying themselves artistic recognition. So far the only animated feature not in the English language to have won is Spirited Away and overall Studio Ghibli produces better content than any of the American companies at this stage, which makes this all the more upsetting. The difference is that the big American studios are more commercially successful because on he artistic merits alone, Song of the Sea and Princess Kaguya did a lot more legwork. Big Hero 6 is an average Disney film.

This is the only award I was really upset about (no use in getting angry about Selma only getting Best Song at this stage, I got my anger out after the snubs that movie got a long time ago).

ArmandFancypants wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:Quite possibly the worst animated movie that has won the Oscar, not considering Happy Feet. This is the fourth year in a row that the award for the best animated feature goes to an undeserving winner. For a while it seemed to be the one category that the Academy could've made right for the most number of times.£
I'd have gone with Ernest & Celestine last year, and ParaNorman the year before, but Rango is awesome.
I love Rango but it was the second best after Tin Tin in 2011.£

Pixar deserved pretty much every win until 2012. They should have won 2001 as well.
Ghibli deserved last year and this year.