87th Academy Awards: 2015

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Rudinet wrote:5 nominations is pretty good.
Hell I was worried something would actually come of the shit people stirred up about the sound being amateur and muddled. Thankfully sense prevailed.

But Hoyta left out in the cold. That's downright pigheadedness and unforgivable considering what the man accomplished.

ratedR wrote:
Rudinet wrote:5 nominations is pretty good.
Hell I was worried something would actually come of the shit people stirred up about the sound being amateur and muddled. Thankfully sense prevailed.

But Hoyta left out in the cold. That's downright pigheadedness and unforgivable considering what the man accomplished.
I mean, I wasn't a fan of the film but actually expected and thought Hoyta would have been a good decision in the cinematography category. I also enjoyed the score of the film, so glad it was recognized.

I found this. I don't know if it's legit but it could be the case.
Why "The LEGO Movie" did not get nominated for best animated feature. Read the rules:
"An animated feature film is defined as a motion picture with a running time of more than 40 minutes, in which movement and characters’ performances are created using a frame-by-frame technique. Motion capture by itself is not an animation technique. In addition, a significant number of the major characters MUST BE ANIMATED, and animation must figure in no less than 75% of the picture’s running time."
The live action segments ruined their chances for the Animated Feature cateagory.
Last edited by Panapaok on January 15th, 2015, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

How is Whiplash nominated in Adapted Screenplay and Foxcatcher is Original. Foxcatcher is a book......

xWhereAmI? wrote:How is Whiplash nominated in Adapted Screenplay and Foxcatcher is Original. Foxcatcher is a book......
Whiplash is adapted from the short film with the same name. It's exactly what happened with Billy Bob Thornton's win for Sling Blade in 1996. Foxcatcher is considered original because they didn't adapt the book, they just used information from it so as to write the final script.
Last edited by Panapaok on January 15th, 2015, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xWhereAmI? wrote:How is Whiplash nominated in Adapted Screenplay and Foxcatcher is Original. Foxcatcher is a book......
Because it was a short story first by the director himself.

Way too much love for American Sniper. I'm happy Cooper got a nod, but otherwise I think the film is shit. It's dishonest, morally and politically troubling, and overlooks a lot of the real Chris Kyles real life.

Also, no Breden Gleeson for Calvary and Gylennhall for Nightcrawler is sad.

Nomis1700 wrote:
There's quite an issue regarding this:
http://deadline.com/2015/01/academy-and ... 201341846/
In order to try and get this wildly original and inventive script about an aspiring drummer and his maniacal teacher financed, the producers came upon a plan to shoot an 18-minute scene early in the script. It worked. They got financing to make the film, and the “short” turned out so well they entered it in the 2012 Sundance Film Festival Shorts competition where it won a prize. The next year the actual full feature film came back to Sundance and took the Grand Prize in the dramatic feature competition.
TL;DR that short film is basically a 17-minute excerpt from Chazelle's *original* screenplay which is why it should've been put in contention for original, but due to the short film being at Sundance, they considered the screenplay based on that.

Also if that issue didn't happen, Gone Girl would've been nominated for Adapted :(

The Academy forgot Gone Girl!

antovolk wrote:
Nomis1700 wrote:
There's quite an issue regarding this:
http://deadline.com/2015/01/academy-and ... 201341846/
In order to try and get this wildly original and inventive script about an aspiring drummer and his maniacal teacher financed, the producers came upon a plan to shoot an 18-minute scene early in the script. It worked. They got financing to make the film, and the “short” turned out so well they entered it in the 2012 Sundance Film Festival Shorts competition where it won a prize. The next year the actual full feature film came back to Sundance and took the Grand Prize in the dramatic feature competition.
TL;DR that short film is basically a 17-minute excerpt from Chazelle's *original* screenplay which is why it should've been put in contention for original, but due to the short film being at Sundance, they considered the screenplay based on that.

Also if that issue didn't happen, Gone Girl would've been nominated for Adapted :(
Ah I understand.