86th Academy Awards: 2014

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
So proud of Pharrell Williams, that's my song yo.

It's obvious that the HFPA is very hot on American Hustle, let's remember if I'm not mistaken that it played much better than the Wolf in those spheres. At least, the Wolf is there in best pic, best director, and thank god Leo got the nomination, although McCo is so getting it.

American Hustle is good, but not deserving IMO of so many nods. Spike Jonze should have been there instead of O Russell.

About the surprises part, I say overall, because a lot was expected. Jonah was a lock from the beginning. Greengrass? Nah, not over those guys.

Abdi getting a nomination was very awesome. Pretty damn impressive for a limo driver.

They've taken to Wolf in a huge way and turfed Phillips and Saving Mr. Banks.

Mostly I'm happy for Michael Fassbender and Sally Hawkins, who are finally (and justly) Oscar nominees.

Facepalmed at "Happy" getting nominated for Best Original Song.

ArmandFancypants wrote:Sally Hawkins
My favorite nominee aside from Lawrence of course. And over NOprah too :D

Inside Llewyn Davis got fucked.

Bale, DiCaprio, Deakins, Sally Hawkins!!!
So happy! :clap:

Yeah, no idea what happened here with Llewyn. The movie seemed to be loved by critics early on, but overall rejected by academy voters and such. At least, it got its fair share of recognition with the GG, Critics Choice awards, Cannes, COFCA, CFCA, Independent Spirit, etc.

Maybe the tone, the fact that it centers around a looser, doesn't really have a plot, it didn"t register with those old farts.

Lets get some prediction lists going!