iPhone 5

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Wait- how are their products the same year after year? Sorry. I thought they just upgraded and refreshed their phones every cycle like the rest of electronics manufacturers and distrubutors. With a contract, their phones are hardly expensive. Free for two generations old, $100 for one generation, and $200 for the latest isn't exactly outrageously overpriced, or much more than the competitors.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Wait- how are their products the same year after year? Sorry. I thought they just upgraded and refreshed their phones every cycle like the rest of electronics manufacturers and distrubutors. With a contract, their phones are hardly expensive. Free for two generations old, $100 for one generation, and $200 for the latest isn't exactly outrageously overpriced, or much more than the competitors.

-Vader
stop speakin logic the cult of apple hate is just soooooo much different than the cult of personality around steve jobs and apple dont you know that you dumbass?

Vader182 wrote:Wait- how are their products the same year after year? Sorry. I thought they just upgraded and refreshed their phones every cycle like the rest of electronics manufacturers and distrubutors. With a contract, their phones are hardly expensive. Free for two generations old, $100 for one generation, and $200 for the latest isn't exactly outrageously overpriced, or much more than the competitors.

-Vader
- It lacks NFC. Most smartphones seem to have it nowadays and I was honestly expecting Apple to pull off something remarkable here like Lumia 920's wireless charging/music sreaming but it failed. Props to Nokia!

- It has a 4" display as was rumored but lacks the 720p resolution. Again, most current-gen. devices have it although it may not be really required for such a small screen. Not increasing the width of the display so one can hold it with one hand and type is just plain bullshit! I am not sure how many users would actually type using one hand (and do what with the other one?).

- The anodized Alu. back is a good addition. Something I really like about Apple devices - their build quality always speak for themselves and have stood out among the crowd. When you spend close to 40k for a device, you expect it to have a good build quality. Case in question - the Galaxy devices (barring the GNex). Somehow all the Samsung Galaxy devices (no offense to SG users!) launched till date were simply sucky in terms of build quality - thin or unbreakable they may be but definitely plasticky. OTOH, the very same company brought out the Omnia W with a brushed Alu. battery cover and that phone somehow impressed me with the build quality.

- The new 'Lightning' connector is an unwanted and a useless addition to the device (and the other new devices announced) and another way of milking the unwary customers by Apple and other third-party manufacturers for docks, adapters, converters and cables. Dealextreme/Focalprice may come up with cheaper alternatives though. They say the connector is reversible which they could have implemented with the previous cable/connector itself. Instead they chose to introduce a new smaller connector and cable and move the 3.5 mm TRS jack to the bottom to compensate for the extra space! For folks who use any previous gen Apple device like the iPods, iPads (I have an iPad 2), there will be an extra cable on the desk and they will have to lug around an extra cable with the charger. What a pain!

- Battery life - impressive as always. Apple outsmarts other players quite easily in this aspect.

- Innards - the A6 (dual core Cortex A15?) chip which seem to have improved the overall performance of the device as claimed by Anand and other folks who've had some hands-on with the device on the launch day. The 4S was incredibly smooth and there were no lags when using applications and games, and the web pages loaded faster. This is another aspect I love about Apple - the OOTB experience is remarkably good and wouldn't want the user to fiddle around with ROMs, kernels and other things to make certain apps. work properly. The Windows Phone is also an equally good contender in this aspect. When my colleague got hold of a HTC HD 7 last year from Thailand, I was taken aback by the device with the GUI, features and other aspects. That was the first time I used a WP phone after all the hoopla that WP had amassed and on that day I decided, my next phone is going to be a WP phone or the next iPhone.

- Nanosim slot - this is another pain in the posterior especially for us Indian consumers. Not all the telecom. operators may be willing to issue nano-sims. Besides, micro-sims (or mini-sims) cannot be cut into nano-sims because they are thinner although the effective dimensions of the contacts are the same. There may be Chinese nano-sim cutters available in the market in a few days' time (may be out by now!), I doubt if it would work on the new device. This was an unwarranted move. As such, I presume the revenue from Indian markets is fairly low compared to other markets so I guess Apple wouldn't pay much heed here nor to launch the device on time. For one, their business proposition wouldn't work in a country like ours where sastha sundar tikau plans are available for the masses.

- Camera - not many improvements from the previous device barring the front cam which is 720p (which is meh when most high-end devices have at least a 1MP front cam). And the sapphire crystal cam surface at the back. I assume it was plain glass before.

- Bundled earpods - Apple has reinvented the wheel once again! And looks like they have put in quite a lot of efforts to come up with the current design like testing several ear designs with prototypes! What they could have done instead is to bundle a nice pair of IEMs from an OEM such as Fostex and a bunch of pads and cushions to go along with it. FWIW, the previous earphones were manufactured by Fostex.

So looks like the event wasn't all that impressive. With Steve Jobs gone, looks like innovation and improvements have taken a backseat. I am in two minds now. My 3 year old iPhone 3G died a week back and I am currently using a Nokia 101 as the backup. For a device worth 1500 Rs., the features are impressive. It is a dual SIM phone, has a mSD slot that supports upto 16GB (I've put a Sandisk 8GB card into the slot) with a basic music player that supports shuffle and repeat but no SQ tweaks, a torch, a 3.5 mm TRS jack and a 1020 mAh battery that lasts me at least 4 days before the charge dies out! The new iPhone is a definitive upgrade for someone like me who has been on an age old device since the last 3 years. OTOH, Nokia 920 is another device which might be worth considering but I am not sure where Nokia is headed. It is going to be either the iPhone 5 or the Lumia 920 for me and my intention would be to purchase the device locally. Apple has an added advantage with the customer support and the Apple Care+ plan which would extend the warranty for the next 2 years. Only time will tell.
Source : http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phone ... ost1715876
gib sigs

- It has a 4" display as was rumored but lacks the 720p resolution.
Despite not being 720p, the ppi count is still higher than all other phones on the market (or with announced release dates). It therefore has a higher perceived resolution, not to mentioned higher contrast ratios and max brightness, as well as a sRGB that delivers 44 percent more color saturation.
- The new 'Lightning' connector is an unwanted and a useless addition to the device (and the other new devices announced) and another way of milking the unwary customers by Apple and other third-party manufacturers for docks, adapters, converters and cables.
The new connector is a needed change that allows for improvements internally and allows bigger and better microphones and speakers. The old 30-pin is 9 years old, so calling this upgrade a way to milk customers is somewhat naive. In order to improve design for current and future devices, this change is necessary. We weren't complaining when TVs switched from DVI to HDMI, were we?
- Camera - not many improvements from the previous device barring the front cam which is 720p (which is meh when most high-end devices have at least a 1MP front cam).
Um 1.2MP front cam...

The iPhone also boasts superior imaging systems, including new improved low-light performance.

Anyways,

Lack of NFC has disappointed some hardcore fans for sure, but NFC uses right now are quite limited. It's still an emerging front in the market with issues still needing to be ironed out. It's not even something many users with competitor devices are using at the moment. That being said, I really hope Apple is developing NFC software and hardware improvements for future updates and devices.

The real improvements of the phone come from the design. It's a fair deal lighter than all competitor phones (nearly twice as light as the announced Nokia phone), as well thinner. I personally have no use for a phone as big as the Galaxy S3, that's really just sorta disgusting in size.

The fit and finish of the phone is unparalleled. Considering the top 3 devices on the 3 big mobile platforms are essentially neck and neck, these details make all the difference to me. I mean, sure the Ford Mustang GT and the BMW M3 run nearly equal times in a straight line, but the craftsmanship and engineering behind the BMW are far superior — it's just a different class of car.

It's a shame the new Nokia phones are running Windows Phone 8 and not Android, because they're coming up with some beautiful and original designs. *cough* samsung *cough*

TeddyBlass wrote:
Despite not being 720p, the ppi count is still higher than all other phones on the market (or with announced release dates). It therefore has a higher perceived resolution, not to mentioned higher contrast ratios and max brightness, as well as a sRGB that delivers 44 percent more color saturation.
- The new 'Lightning' connector is an unwanted and a useless addition to the device (and the other new devices announced) and another way of milking the unwary customers by Apple and other third-party manufacturers for docks, adapters, converters and cables.
The new connector is a needed change that allows for improvements internally and allows bigger and better microphones and speakers. The old 30-pin is 9 years old, so calling this upgrade a way to milk customers is somewhat naive. In order to improve design for current and future devices, this change is necessary.
- Camera - not many improvements from the previous device barring the front cam which is 720p (which is meh when most high-end devices have at least a 1MP front cam).
Um 1.2MP front cam...

The iPhone also boasts superior imaging systems, including new improved low-light performance.

Anyways,

Lack of NFC has disappointed some hardcore fans for sure, but NFC uses right now are quite limited. It still is an emerging front in the market with issues still needing to be ironed out. It's not even something many users with competitive devices are using at the moment. That being said, I really hope Apple is developing NFC software and hardware improvements for future updates and devices.

The real improvements of phone come from the design. It's a fair deal lighter than all competitor phones (nearly twice as light as the announced Nokia phone), as well thinner. I personally have no use for a phone as big as the Galaxy S3, that's really just sorta disgusting in size.

The fit and finish of the phone is unparalleled. Considering the top 3 devices on the 3 big mobile platforms are essentially neck and neck, these details make all the difference to me. I mean, sure the Ford Mustang GT and the BMW M3 run nearly equal times in a straight line, but the craftsmanship and engineering behind the BMW are far superior — it's just a different class of car.

It's a shame the new Nokia phones are running Windows Phone 8 and not Android, because they're coming up with some beautiful and original designs. *cough* samsung *cough*
I agree with everything you just said. Some great points, its fantastic that we have such a competitive choice within the market.

TeddyBlass wrote:
The Lumia 920 which was announced last week, has a 4.5-inch screen, with 1,280*768-pixel resolution. At 332 pixels per inch, it's actually a bit denser than Apple's 4-inch 1136*640 326 ppi display.
The new connector is a needed change that allows for improvements internally and allows bigger and better microphones and speakers. The old 30-pin is 9 years old, so calling this upgrade a way to milk customers is somewhat naive. In order to improve design for current and future devices, this change is necessary. We weren't complaining when TVs switched from DVI to HDMI, were we?
http://dvice.com/archives/2012/09/why-apples-new.php
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/12/apple- ... n-october/

Also Lumia 920 provides 10 hrs of talktime while iPhone5 8 hrs. 920 has 8.7MP rear and 1.3MP front camera while iPhone5 has 8MP rear and 1.2MP front camera.
I'm only mentioning it to highlight that Apple is now playing catchup in some departments. The improvements that fanboys are gushing about were present in other devices or are much better in new devices. iPhone5 is certainly an interesting device, but not revolutionary.
gib sigs

Pratham wrote:
The Lumia 920 which was announced last week, has a 4.5-inch screen, with 1,280*768-pixel resolution. At 332 pixels per inch, it's actually a bit denser than Apple's 4-inch 1136*640 326 ppi display.

http://dvice.com/archives/2012/09/why-apples-new.php
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/12/apple- ... n-october/

Also Lumia 920 provides 10 hrs of talktime while iPhone5 8 hrs. 920 has 8.7MP rear and 1.3MP front camera while iPhone5 has 8MP rear and 1.2MP front camera.
I'm only mentioning it to highlight that Apple is now playing catchup in some departments. The improvements that fanboys are gushing about were present in other devices or are much better in new devices. iPhone5 is certainly an interesting device, but not revolutionary.
I don't think any of this really contradicts what I've said. The Nokia phone is announced, but its release date is not. Yes the camera and screen have better specs, but I think it should be noted they have yet really been tested or seen hands-on. Also, it is yet to be seen how the brightness, contrast, and saturation compare to the Retina Display on the iPhone 5. I also think it's a big achievement for the iPhone to practically match these specs at 60% the weight of the Nokia phone. Again, it's a beautiful phone. Too bad it runs the worst mobile operating system of the major 3.

The iPhone 5 is not revolutionary, it's evolutionary.

TeddyBlass wrote: The iPhone 5 is not revolutionary, it's evolutionary.
How long did it take you to come up with this? :D

I don't have a problem with the iPhones or Apple products in general, I have a problem with some of the fanbase.

PowerDump wrote:I don't have a problem with the iPhones or Apple products in general, I have a problem with some of the fanbase.
This.