No Time to Die (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Well, they both knew that the score and the sound design would be more intertwined than ever, so it basically makes sense that if something is moved around in the film, that the score would have to be fit to that.

-21:39: Nolan talks about the script and the score
-24:53: Mentions the music teams’ frustration.
-27:05: Mentions the music mixing process - no cutting.

Imagine working with so many layers, trying to hit the marks with simultaneous tempo changes. Difficult enough normally, imagine doing it for a 100 minute cue.
Last edited by Tarssauce on January 7th, 2020, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 1:09 pm
Seems like it was technically challenging and very stressful. Things kept changing and Nolan seems to have been very demanding - and probably neither were happy lol. I mean according to Zimmer, Nolan insisted they go through with the method they ended up using (which is being kept a secret) even though it caused so many problems and arguments. Nolan also said in one interview that any small change in picture would affect the whole score.

I don’t know how accurate this is, but I’ll trust the director [Nolan] on this, but they seem to have literally wrote the score as one long cue - using faders and automation graphs to transition between parts instead of working on small independent cues like they usually do. Although, there is a cue sheet showing almost 40 cues with credits.

Probably because Dunkirk was like an experimental music video

AhmadAli95 wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 1:52 pm

-21:39: Nolan talks about the script and the score
-24:53: Mentions the music teams’ frustration.
-27:05: Mentions the music mixing process - no cutting.

Imagine working with so many layers, trying to hit the marks with simultaneous tempo changes. Difficult enough normally, imagine doing it for a 100 minute cue.
Yeah so it was frustrating, like a lot of filmmaking lol but in the end I think they were both very pleased with the result

And I have to give it to Zimmer, you simply can't say no to Dune. VilleDune specifically

Maybe I didn’t explain it right :lol: Of course they were satisfied with the result but the process was probably so dreadful. According to my source, Nolan wasn’t pleased with Zimmer having to leave for tour without finishing the score. Balfe came in to oversee the final stages.

Picture changes are frustrating in general but combine that with this mathematical and enigmatic method they decided to implement and you end up with a nightmare. Sometimes things are tough creatively, like this cue isn’t working. But it seems like they faced technical difficulties with Dunkirk.

Also, the whole I’m not doing Tenet because of Dune is Hans being Hans lol. The conflict would’ve been with WW84, TG and SpongeBob (not sure if he’s still doing this one). Dune comes out several months after Tenet. Chances are Nolan never approached Hans for it. It happens. They’re probably still very good friends but they may not work together again.
Last edited by Tarssauce on January 7th, 2020, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oh now I see what you mean lol

yeah I guess you have a point

A little update from the hans-zimmer.com admin about the Zimmer/Nolan relationship:
Well I happened to be around RCP when Hans was finishing Dunkirk just before the 2017 tour. And it was tough (Nolan wasn't there in the studio, he was working from Warner studios), to me it came with no surprise that they wouldn't do the next one together. I think a break was needed. I'm sure they'll work again. And it has nothing to do with "personal relationship", Hans loved Tony Scott and is still in touch with Ridley Scott regularly, but they just moved on working together.

You can be good friend with someone and don't want to work together!
I still would like to know if Zimmer was offered Tenet or not.

well damn, youngest ever to do the intro song?

my dream for a tame impala title song for bond is disappearing quickly