No Time to Die (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 3:45 pm
Allstar wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Saying it’s a “huge upgrade” is a pretty big slap in the face to Boyle’s talent as a filmmaker. Plus now they’re going back to the hacks Purvis and Wade’s script which is prob a huge downgrade.
boyle makes interesting and often experimental movies that are fun to watch and to deconstruct but idk many people who think of him as much more than that. 127 Hours and Slumdog in the pantheon of great movies they are not.

saying this as someone who really likes most of his work and studied him extensively in undergrad

-Vader
Surely Trainspotting is in the pantheon of the greats (or most culturally impactful, at least).

But Fukunaga might be a better fit for Bond. Even when Boyle was initially announced there were a lot of people who couldn't imagine his style fitting with Bond.

I'd also prefer Fukunaga to direct Bond 25, but to dismiss Boyle as a lesser director is simply wrong.

w.r.o.n.g

anarchy wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 4:19 pm
Vader182 wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 3:45 pm
Allstar wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Saying it’s a “huge upgrade” is a pretty big slap in the face to Boyle’s talent as a filmmaker. Plus now they’re going back to the hacks Purvis and Wade’s script which is prob a huge downgrade.
boyle makes interesting and often experimental movies that are fun to watch and to deconstruct but idk many people who think of him as much more than that. 127 Hours and Slumdog in the pantheon of great movies they are not.

saying this as someone who really likes most of his work and studied him extensively in undergrad

-Vader
Surely Trainspotting is in the pantheon of the greats (or most culturally impactful, at least).
You're correct, but that's ancient history now.

I'd have loved to see a Boyle Bond as an experiment in the genre and doubtful though it is I'd love for him to get another crack at it down the line.

-Vader

I haven't been impressed with Fukunaga apart from the first half of True Detective Season 1, so I'm still waiting to see if that was a fluke and he was just inspired by Pizzolatto's writing. I would not put Sin Nombre, Jane Eyre, and Beasts of No Nation remotely up there with Trainspotting, Sunshine, 28 Days Later, Millions, Slumdog, etc.

28 Days Later is also widely viewed as a horror classic. Boyle > Cary for now.

Did someone poison the water supply here or

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 11:28 am
Vader182 wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 11:14 am
As far as I'm concerned this is a huge upgrade.

We'll see if he lasts.

-Vader
-He clashed constantly with Pizzolato on TD
-Left IT a week before the start of production
-Asked his writer to rewrite the majority of Maniac three months before production because it wasn't good enough.

He's basically one of the most control-freaks directors out there, it's an amazing upgrade, but I think there's more chances he leaves before of even after production (no way he has final cut)
I don't mind him being a control freak. I mean, I get him when I read this article, about clashing with Pizzolatto and leaving IT.

Anyway, I would love a Marianelli Bond score. I wonder if Arkapaw* would do 35mm? Goldman would be great for DoP, too. Based on the people Fukunaga worked with.

Apart from this, I hope Clint Mansell will one day score a Bond film. Dat Noah soundtrack, bliss.

To get back to Fukunaga directing, I think he'll compromise more than ever. Imagine, if this becomes a real hit, Fukunaga gets much more chances to get projects off the ground.

*he's the DoP of Netflix The King... hells yeah can't wait to see footage

Wait, are we complaining about a Fukunaga Bond movie now?

Some are, sadly

Ivan wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 6:19 pm
Wait, are we complaining about a Fukunaga Bond movie now?
No. Just questioning that he’s a “huge upgrade” over Boyle.