What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Moneyball

I admit that I know sh*t about baseball. I haven't the slightest idea. They always talk about "getting on base". I don't even know what that means. But you know what? I love this movie. I don't understand 25% of the script and yet I love the dialogue and the story. What I don't get I make up with referrings to soccer that are most probably totally wrong. But I love sport events and somehow this movie draws me in.

9/10

Had a feeling this would not reach my expectations. This book is unfilmable. As a matter of fact, I believe it's very hard to make Beat literature work on film (can't recall a good adaptation of it). Guess Salinger was right by never allowing an adaptation of The Catcher in the Rye - not even to Spielberg. It's not all bad, though, Walter Salles is very intimist as usual and the cast is pretty solid (except for Kirsten Stewart), Garrett Hedlund's Moriarty is right on the money - very cool, and Viggo Mortensen as Bill Burroughs is fantastic.

redfan wrote:Moneyball

I admit that I know sh*t about baseball. I haven't the slightest idea. They always talk about "getting on base". I don't even know what that means. But you know what? I love this movie. I don't understand 25% of the script and yet I love the dialogue and the story. What I don't get I make up with referrings to soccer that are most probably totally wrong. But I love sport events and somehow this movie draws me in.

9/10
You watched that entire film and still have no idea what getting on base means :?
Say Girl

Peace wrote:
redfan wrote: You watched that entire film and still have no idea what getting on base means :?
No :lol: Maybe it would have been easier if I had watched it in German, but these expressions made no sense to me. Didn't matter though. Maybe that was one of the points that made the Moneyball-concept so misterious and successful to me.

Wouldn't mind if you explained it to me though ;)

redfan wrote:
Peace wrote:
No :lol: Maybe it would have been easier if I had watched it in German, but these expressions made no sense to me. Didn't matter though. Maybe that was one of the points that made the Moneyball-concept so misterious and successful to me.

Wouldn't mind if you explained it to me though ;)
You hit the ball... while the ball is traveling you try to make it on base. There are three bases. You must run from one to the other. You must get around all three to make it "home". That's home plate. Then you score or earn a run.

You can only run around the bases when the ball has been hit. You can try to steal a base.. like run from second to third before the pitch is thrown but its easy for the pitcher to turn around and throw the ball to his second baseman and get you out.

You have three outs. If you pop the ball up and before it hits the ground someone catches it your out. You swing at the ball three times and miss your out. You get caught between bases your more then likely out.

So getting on base means you hit the ball and it wasn't caught before it hit the ground... and you made it to at least first base before the ball was thrown there rendering you out.

God I'm not all that good at explaining sports :lol:
Say Girl

Peace wrote: You hit the ball... while the ball is traveling you try to make it on base. There are three bases. You must run from one to the other. You must get around all three to make it "home". That's home plate. Then you score or earn a run.

You can only run around the bases when the ball has been hit. You can try to steal a base.. like run from second to third before the pitch is thrown but its easy for the pitcher to turn around and throw the ball to his second baseman and get you out.

You have three outs. If you pop the ball up and before it hits the ground someone catches it your out. You swing at the ball three times and miss your out. You get caught between bases your more then likely out.

So getting on base means you hit the ball and it wasn't caught before it hit the ground... and you made it to at least first base before the ball was thrown there rendering you out.

God I'm not all that good at explaining sports :lol:
Thanks :lol: I understood the principle of "getting on base", but the rest is bs to me. But I guess baseball is a mistery to all outsiders^^

07202012 wrote:
Octaviana wrote:Image

10/10
So it was perfect?
Yes.

redfan wrote:Moneyball

9/10
It is a great film, what did you think of Pitt's performance?

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

3.5/5

Very solid film. Really liked it

xWhereAmI? wrote:Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

3.5/5

Very solid film. Really liked it
Agreed. Thoughts on Knightley's performance?