What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote: @Sandy, post your thoughts on the flick.

-Vader
Regarding Cloud Atlas: I really feel like this film deserves several viewings before I can comment on it in any sort of critical or intellectual manner, so I'll have to go purely on feelings.

As I said, I almost turned it off sometime during the first hour. The performance of Jim Broadbent as Timothy Cavendish in the first scene with his brother was what convinced me to keep it rolling. As an actor, he displayed such humanity that I couldn't in good conscience turn off the PS3 and go about my evening. Thank God stuck with it. In retrospect, I do not know what I was thinking when I was about to turn it off.

To continue with the performances, I grew to enjoy all of them, with Whishaw as Frobisher and James D'Arcy (why isn't he in more stuff?) as Sixsmith being my favorites. I really loved that their storyline moved closest to actual innocence, but really didn't end up that way. The scene featured in my avatar, with the little montage and the musical theme gave me full body goosebumps and caused me to well up. Halle Berry and Tom Hanks were fantastic. The aforementioned Jim Broadbent was likewise fantastic. Really, every performance was great. Great.

As far as the themes are concerned, there is the obvious, regarding how small choices can affect several generations. This is a favorite theme of mine in any sort of art, and it is illustrated here and spoken through several beautiful monologues as well as in any other movie or book that I have seen. The way the filmmakers wrapped up this giant beast they created is likewise nothing short of remarkable.

The bottom line is that I still have a feeling in my heart an hour after watching the movie. That music is still dancing around my head, giving me goosebumps. The performances of Whishaw, and D'Arcy, among others, have already left an indelible mark on me (and some temporary tears in my eyes) that I know because so many great pieces of art have left it before. This is one of those works that I'm happy I lived long enough to be able to experience. A universe where we can create, appreciate, and feel something like is truly must be all right.

Sandy wrote:
Vader182 wrote: @Sandy, post your thoughts on the flick.

-Vader
Regarding Cloud Atlas: I really feel like this film deserves several viewings before I can comment on it in any sort of critical or intellectual manner, so I'll have to go purely on feelings.

As I said, I almost turned it off sometime during the first hour. The performance of Jim Broadbent as Timothy Cavendish in the first scene with his brother was what convinced me to keep it rolling. As an actor, he displayed such humanity that I couldn't in good conscience turn off the PS3 and go about my evening. Thank God stuck with it. In retrospect, I do not know what I was thinking when I was about to turn it off.

To continue with the performances, I grew to enjoy all of them, with Whishaw as Frobisher and James D'Arcy (why isn't he in more stuff?) as Sixsmith being my favorites. I really loved that their storyline moved closest to actual innocence, but really didn't end up that way. The scene featured in my avatar, with the little montage and the musical theme gave me full body goosebumps and caused me to well up. Halle Berry and Tom Hanks were fantastic. The aforementioned Jim Broadbent was likewise fantastic. Really, every performance was great. Great.

As far as the themes are concerned, there is the obvious, regarding how small choices can affect several generations. This is a favorite theme of mine in any sort of art, and it is illustrated here and spoken through several beautiful monologues as well as in any other movie or book that I have seen. The way the filmmakers wrapped up this giant beast they created is likewise nothing short of remarkable.

The bottom line is that I still have a feeling in my heart an hour after watching the movie. That music is still dancing around my head, giving me goosebumps. The performances of Whishaw, and D'Arcy, among others, have already left an indelible mark on me (and some temporary tears in my eyes) that I know because so many great pieces of art have left it before. This is one of those works that I'm happy I lived long enough to be able to experience. A universe where we can create, appreciate, and feel something like is truly must be all right.
I want to kiss you on the mouth.

Vader182 wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:Sanjuro, Ikiru, Yojimbo, High & Low and Kagemusha are where it's at for me in Kurosawa-land.
I'd love to hear your argument for Kagemusha over, say, Ran or Seven Samurai. it's a bold choice, some of which I bet has something to do with how it's action scenes basically set the standard for how action sequences were shot and stitched together for decades. It's almost as bad as Army of Darkness to Helm's Deep at times.

-Vader
Can't explain why Ran or Seven Samurai don't appeal to me as much, but I think the appeal of Kagemusha is this whole idea of embroiling a nobody in these affairs of no import, and putting him in there at the top.

It's a kinda upper class King Ralph perhaps. But no, seriously, that's what I like about it, in the most basic terms. It's technically astonishing, of course, but if you want to talk about someone changing the game for action, Chimes at Midnight is where it's at.

Second viewing of Andrei Rubleyoobley. It's good. Damn good. Visually it's simply one of the best films I've seen. 3.5 hour run-time is typically a push but I didn't feel it too much here, possibly due to the hypnotic state tarkovsky flicks tend to put you in, but considering the film takes place over several decades the length isn't too much to ask. I feel like it one of those films that's working on about 10 different levels as you're watching. Not gonna lie and say I picked up on every little thing but the film makes me want to analyse it closer which says something. Watching it with the commentary track very soon. As of now it's my favorite Tarkovsky film.

Also, dedicating the last hour of your movie to a separate story that barely includes the protagonist and is probably only related on a metaphorical level is some serious baller shit.

The New World
7.4/10

Great film. Colin was amazing and Bale was on point as always too. Interesting take on the subject matter of colonization that doesn't get enough attention on a large scale like this.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:Image

Second viewing of Andrei Rubleyoobley. It's good. Damn good. Visually it's simply one of the best films I've seen. 3.5 hour run-time is typically a push but I didn't feel it too much here, possibly due to the hypnotic state tarkovsky flicks tend to put you in, but considering the film takes place over several decades the length isn't too much to ask. I feel like it one of those films that's working on about 10 different levels as you're watching. Not gonna lie and say I picked up on every little thing but the film makes me want to analyse it closer which says something. Watching it with the commentary track very soon. As of now it's my favorite Tarkovsky film.

Also, dedicating the last hour of your movie to a separate story that barely includes the protagonist and is probably only related on a metaphorical level is some serious baller shit.
You've now seen my favorite two films about 'art'. Persona's the first.

-Vader

Cilogy wrote:
Sandy wrote:

I want to kiss you on the mouth.
lol you read my mind Cil ;)

Great review Sandy. I agree that D'Arcy needs more exposure yo.

The Purge - 3/10

An absolute prime example of how to create a taut and effective horror film. It masterfully builds up this looming dread and creates a truly unnerving, eerie atmosphere throughout, all the way to it's hair raising climax. Is it laden with jump out of your skin scares? No. But it didn't need to be, and I applaud the way it was constructed. Should be viewed by anyone who appreciates good horror and Noroi is certainly one of my favourites in the genre.

Le passé (2013)
Level of Admiration: 8.6/10
Level of Personal Interest: 8.6/10

Only slightly inferior to A Separation and About Elly, Farhadi delivered yet another fascinating piece of work that I personally consider a fitting final to his trilogy of morality centered dramas. 2 hours and 10 minutes and every scene was there for a reason and that's a huge accomplishment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iron Man 3 (2013)
Level of Admiration: 8.3/10
Level of Personal Interest: 8.1/10

Now this is what I'm talking about. Marvel's best film since Iron Man and one of the top ten best superhero films I've ever seen. It also presents the most likable Tony Stark to date. It's a superior film to The Avengers in almost every category except perhaps the awe factor and entertainment level. Now I'm looking forward to a Death Note adaptation or perhaps the next chapters of these series done by Black.£