What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I havent been a big fan of the trailers, but love Pineapple express so I will check it out for sure.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Even though the Exorcism Horror sub-genre has not aged well, I couldn't help myself being intrigued by this film. It is very flawed, and it really wants to be intelligent, but it really took a more mature and realistic approach to the subject of Exorcism, compared to something like The Last Exorcism which was just creating freights for the sake of scaring the audience. The biggest fall for this film is the character development, and even though we do get a glimpse into Emily Rose's personality, it is over-shadowed by the court drama. The same could be said fro Laura Linney's character.

I reckon if this kind of film was made again but under a new direction and written by a more experienced screenwriter, it could be something very special, because that's what this film honestly could have been.

Red Hood wrote:
Micool wrote:Man of Steel B
Can you give us more details? What did you like about the film? What didn't you like? But please don't spoil anything.
The movie was well done. I thought the story was basic (predictable) but it didn't hinder the film overall. I liked the acting, I thought a lot of the scenes with Superman were good mainly because he doesn't say much throughout the film but the film kind of leads you into what he is supposed to be thinking and feeling and I liked that. Once the action really starts, it doesn't stop and at times feels like a Michael Bay film with all the explosions and stuff like that but better. Overall its a good superhero film that's a nice beginning and sets itself up for a sequel. I didn't like all the explosions, couldn't really see what was going on at some points and like I said before the plot itself is a bit predictable so its easy to see where the plot was going. I had no problem with it but it didn't blow me away. There was also some scenes where I felt reminded of other movies...recent movies and me and my friend commented on that after the film.
Durden wrote:
Thoughts on Shannon?
Shannon is cool in the film, serviceable as a villain. Doesn't seem as threatening but still badass. I will say his last scene with Superman and the fight before it was my favorite part of the film. Also I hated their armor in this film lol
IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:
Thoughts on Crowe?
Once again, he was serviceable for his role. He probably has the most dialogue in the film tbh.

In terms of superhero films, I do consider some to be ahead of Man of Steel: The Dark Knight, Spider-Man (and SP2), Iron Man, Batman Begins but I will say this is right up there with The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises in terms of quality.

Recommend seeing it; maybe not in 3D though lol

The Return---by Andrey Zvyagintsev

I read a few reviews billing this as the greatest Russian directorial debut since Tarkovsky made Ivan's Childhood, so I had to watch it. I would recommend that any fans of slower, more meditative cinema give it a look at the earliest opportunity. It is remarkable similar in theme to this years Mud, although it explores masculinity and permanence in a harsher manner.

Just re-watched The Game. I'm not sure why I didn't hold the film in the same esteem as the rest of Fincher's work. Stupid me. The flick is great. I now have to tell everyone who has not seen it go watch it now. It's on Netflix.

Oh and if you are wondering I don't hold A3 or Panic Room in the same esteem as the rest of Fincher's film catalogue. They rest IMO are masterpieces. Now I count The Game among them.

Peace wrote:Just re-watched The Game. I'm not sure why I didn't hold the film in the same esteem as the rest of Fincher's work. Stupid me. The flick is great. I now have to tell everyone who has not seen it go watch it now. It's on Netflix.

Oh and if you are wondering I don't hold A3 or Panic Room in the same esteem as the rest of Fincher's film catalogue. They rest IMO are masterpieces. Now I count The Game among them.

The plot itself is pretty straightforward and simple, some would say predictable (I personally liked it), but Fincher's direction is underrated IMO. It's an incredibly thematic film that's very much about its atmosphere.

^The Game is awful no two ways about it.

No Country For Old Men, As I was watching it I realized the first time I saw it was in a theater six years ago. I still remember it pretty vividly. That kinda terrified me.
Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on June 12th, 2013, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It doesn't help that no part of the movie makes sense

it was a really fun viewing though

-Vader

Coming from a massive Fincher fan, I also think it is one of his weaker films.

Durden wrote:Coming from a massive Fincher fan, I also think it is one of his weaker films.
I don't think there's any doubt about that, but honestly I think it's not given as much credit at it deserves.

Not that it deserves to be praised or whatever.