What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Internship B-

Better than I expected tbh, pretty funny.

Bought this movie on a blind buy, and must say, it was worth the $9.99. The surface level of the film is about a crew of magazine employees who go and check out a man's newspaper ad seeking a companion regarding time travel. "Safety not guaranteed," the ad exclaims about the mission. However, as the film gets underway, the intention of the film becomes something else entirely, and in a good way.

This film is about relationships, characters who long for something more in their lives, all while chastising themselves for the things they've done, or have failed to do. In all the risks we take in life, safety is certainly not guaranteed. There will be guaranteed hardships. Yet sometimes, the risks we take and the endeavors we tackle, have one hell of a payoff.

Grade: A- Highly recommended.

**I will say, that some will strongly embrace the ending of the film, while others may be put off by it, and that is understandable. I would just encourage those who watch the film to keep in mind the overall themes it is attempting to convey.

Where does it rank on your 2012 list?

I didn't really care for it upon a repeat viewing.

The Place Beyond the Pines
ImageImageImageImageImage
God damn, this is such a beautiful fucking movie.
Skyab23 wrote:Bought this movie on a blind buy, and must say, it was worth the $9.99. The surface level of the film is about a crew of magazine employees who go and check out a man's newspaper ad seeking a companion regarding time travel. "Safety not guaranteed," the ad exclaims about the mission. However, as the film gets underway, the intention of the film becomes something else entirely, and in a good way.

This film is about relationships, characters who long for something more in their lives, all while chastising themselves for the things they've done, or have failed to do. In all the risks we take in life, safety is certainly not guaranteed. There will be guaranteed hardships. Yet sometimes, the risks we take and the endeavors we tackle, have one hell of a payoff.

**I will say, that some will strongly embrace the ending of the film, while others may be put off by it, and that is understandable. I would just encourage those who watch the film to keep in mind the overall themes it is attempting to convey.
The same director is doing Jurassic Park 4. I personally don't understand why he was picked, even though Safety is a well directed flick. What do you think?

Durden wrote:Where does it rank on your 2012 list?

It's on the latter end of my top 10 if I had to rank it. I try to look at films for what they are individually and what they're attempting to accomplish, and not necessarily replay value (although if a film has that going for it, that's certainly a plus). I'm not sure how this film will play on repeat views, but I think it was successful at what it was attempting to portray, and doing so in a rather fantastical yet meaningful way. This film, its dialogue and the story is about "something," and I found that rather refreshing. It doesn't necessarily break new ground, but it found unique ways to tackle a universal subject. It also helps that the characters were universally believable and genuine in their dialogue and their actions.

To Cilogy: I was thinking the same thing as I was watching the film. While "Safety" was a well directed film, it's a very small budgeted Indie-flick, with little to no action. I don't have much of an opinion on whether its a good pick for JP4, but there was this guy who directed smaller budgeted movies before he was picked to do The Dark Knight Trilogy and that turned out all right, so who knows. I just wish this director had a little bit more experience on his resume before taking up the mantle of Jurassic Park.

Skyab23 wrote:
Durden wrote:Where does it rank on your 2012 list?

It's on the latter end of my top 10 if I had to rank it. I try to look at films for what they are individually and what they're attempting to accomplish, and not necessarily replay value (although if a film has that going for it, that's certainly a plus). I'm not sure how this film will play on repeat views, but I think it was successful at what it was attempting to portray, and doing so in a rather fantastical yet meaningful way. This film, its dialogue and the story is about "something," and I found that rather refreshing. It doesn't necessarily break new ground, but it found unique ways to tackle a universal subject. It also helps that the characters were universally believable and genuine in their dialogue and their actions.

To Cilogy: I was thinking the same thing as I was watching the film. While "Safety" was a well directed film, it's a very small budgeted Indie-flick, with little to no action. I don't have much of an opinion on whether its a good pick for JP4, but there was this guy who directed smaller budgeted movies before he was picked to do The Dark Knight Trilogy and that turned out all right, so who knows. I just wish this director had a little bit more experience on his resume before taking up the mantle of Jurassic Park.
Yeah that's sort of what I thought, I would prefer someone with more experience.

The difference with Nolan though was that he came to WB with the idea. Trevorrow was selected, which is a little puzzling to me.

Skyab23 wrote:Image

Bought this movie on a blind buy, and must say, it was worth the $9.99. The surface level of the film is about a crew of magazine employees who go and check out a man's newspaper ad seeking a companion regarding time travel. "Safety not guaranteed," the ad exclaims about the mission. However, as the film gets underway, the intention of the film becomes something else entirely, and in a good way.

I literally just finished that film. Thought it had it's moments, but otherwise bordered on horrendous.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Skyab23 wrote:Image

I literally just finished that film. Thought it had it's moments, but otherwise bordered on horrendous.
Horrendous is a pretty big overstatement.

Sin Nombre 8.2/10
Kind of an unsatisfying finish imo but pretty amazing as a whole

Greenberg
5.2/10
What a piece of crap, its like it wasn't even trying to be a movie. It was just one sequence of awkward conversations after another. Its like everyone involved with this film was trying to make it over the top with awkwardness, no one realistically interacts like people do in this movie.

Street Kings
7/10
Pretty standard LA cop thriller. Decent watch.
and my boy Evans was in it which I forgot ;)

Chan-Woo Park fucking delivers.

Started off slow, but the last half is just intense as hell. The film is breathtaking to watch with all kinds of interesting camera tricks, and just like any of his films top notch production values. Wasnt sure on Mia at first, but damn she pulls it together at the end, and really delivers a really good performance. Goode is the real standout though, he is creepy as hell. Overall my third favorite film of the year, and although it doesn't get close to Oldboy status, it is a hell of an American debut for Park.