Alien: Covenant (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
RIFA wrote:
Willem wrote:
RIFA wrote:The problem I have is that some of the stuff is delivered in such a stupid way I'm wondering if ANYONE actually read the fucking script because it bugs me that there's at least 2-3 scenes which make no sense the way they've been staged. The narrative makes sense but the actual development is borderline stupid. How is it possible that nobody told Ridley that the way they dealt with the final twist made no sense?!
In my opinion - correct me if I'm wrong - it actually is Scott's job to understand the screenplay and stage the scenes correctly. He's the director here after all
Yes it is. But if he somehow was blind and forgot something while reading the script... how the hell can the script go through so many people and nobody pointed such a huge error out?
So true. Think of the thousands of professionals working on the film...

I'm doubting whether or not I'm going to see this. Probably not tbh

It's definitely worth seeing.

But there's like 3 things which bug me. One of them being extremely important.

If all these things would have been handled in a different way this would have been an extremely good Alien film.

It's a missed opportunity because of some stupid shit. But the story does make sense. The people that said nothing made sense, I don't know what movie they watched lol.

Maybe Ridley Scott is just bad at judging the quality of a great script? It might explain a few of his critical blunders in recent years. If you give him a great script, he can potentially make a great film. If the script is bad, he's gonna make the film look nice but that seems to be his limitation. He's made 2 great films (Alien and Thelma & Louise) and one overrated one that some people praise as genius for its visual legacy and its soundtrack (Blade Runner). The rest is really up to debate. A lot of people love Gladiator, I've also met a lot of people who hate that film. I like Legend but it's got HUGE problems with it and most of its strengths lie in the actors' performances (especially Tim Curry). The Duellists is not everyone's cup of tea either. Robin Hood and Exodus were disasters, Kingdom of Heaven's saving grace seems to be that the Director's Cut is great but I can't seem to find that one on DVD anywhere and The Counselor is just nonsense dialogue set to occasionally weird visuals.

Batfan175 wrote:Maybe Ridley Scott is just bad at judging the quality of a great script?
You're partially right on this one. Everything after that is a huge "meh" and "what?".

For those that have seen the movie... the things that bugs me the most about the ending is this.
How the hell does the David twist make sense done that way? I mean, Daniels figured out he's David when she asked him about the cottage? REALLY? What about that god damn time when you helped him HEAL his wounds? Or did you not know as the third person in command on that ship that Walter's model has self-healing? That shit just blew my mind. That is the stupid thing I'm talking about. Sure, we don't know what Daniels knew about these androids but come on man. You expect me to believe the third person in command has no clue about basic android functionality?
On top of that two more things.
1. The dude that catches the virus by touching the fungus? Did we really just see a repeat of the curiosity kills the cat dumb scene in Prometheus with the snake? I mean the first guy that gets the virus... I totally understand. It was an accident.
But that guy in the cave touching the fungus and then SNIFFING out whatever came out of that shit? Makes no sense.
I mean small things like this could be easily avoided and it's stupid because they did it right with one guy but then failed with this guy.

2. Faris' actions are truly mindblowingly dumb. Don't even get me started. That shit gave me the headaches. You're not a soldier. The shit is contained. What's the fucking point of taking a gun and OPEN THE DOOR that contains whatever is in there to shoot it when you're obviously not trained? And if you are trained then how can you act in such a desperate and stupid manner?

RIFA wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:Maybe Ridley Scott is just bad at judging the quality of a great script?
You're partially right on this one. Everything after that is a huge "meh" and "what?".

For those that have seen the movie... the things that bugs me the most about the ending is this.
How the hell does the David twist make sense done that way? I mean, Daniels figured out he's David when she asked him about the cottage? REALLY? What about that god damn time when you helped him HEAL his wounds? Or did you not know as the third person in command on that ship that Walter's model has self-healing? That shit just blew my mind. That is the stupid thing I'm talking about. Sure, we don't know what Daniels knew about these androids but come on man. You expect me to believe the third person in command has no clue about basic android functionality?
On top of that two more things.
1. The dude that catches the virus by touching the fungus? Did we really just see a repeat of the curiosity kills the cat dumb scene in Prometheus with the snake? I mean the first guy that gets the virus... I totally understand. It was an accident.
But that guy in the cave touching the fungus and then SNIFFING out whatever came out of that shit? Makes no sense.
I mean small things like this could be easily avoided and it's stupid because they did it right with one guy but then failed with this guy.

2. Faris' actions are truly mindblowingly dumb. Don't even get me started. That shit gave me the headaches. You're not a soldier. The shit is contained. What's the fucking point of taking a gun and OPEN THE DOOR that contains whatever is in there to shoot it when you're obviously not trained? And if you are trained then how can you act in such a desperate and stupid manner?
The main problem:
I don't really remember what tipped her off at the end but yeah, the hand stuff really should have been a dead give away for her. However, I'm actually forgiving of such things. Characters tend to act dumb, as do people. Whatever. My biggest problem with the whole "twist" is how POORLY telegraphed it was. I mean, if you're not going to show us the end of that fight,
we'll clearly know who won it. Better editing and more creativity in the "switcheroo" and this could have been avoided
As for the others:
1. As I said, mistakes or silly decisions don't really bother me. Characters can make them. Especially if they're in a horror movie, that's pretty much what has to happen. Somebody makes a mistake and all hell breaks loose.
2. The characters were so bland I have no fucking idea what their names are. But I assume you're talking about that insufferable bitch who panics at the beginning when the Deacon is coming out of the guy on the ship. Oh god, I hated that scene. It's one thing to make mistakes but a whole different story when it basically becomes a comedy of errors. She was just the worst.

LelekPL wrote:The main problem:
I don't really remember what tipped her off at the end but yeah, the hand stuff really should have been a dead give away for her. However, I'm actually forgiving of such things. Characters tend to act dumb, as do people. Whatever. My biggest problem with the whole "twist" is how POORLY telegraphed it was. I mean, if you're not going to show us the end of that fight,
we'll clearly know who won it. Better editing and more creativity in the "switcheroo" and this could have been avoided
What tipped her off was when she asked him about the house while she was already in cryo. I mean out of all the things, the hand, the lack of self-healing, etc. It's the fucking house that made you aware lol. That's just dumb.

And yes. The David-Walter fight ended in a stupid way. It would have been much better if they would have just fucking showed it.
LelekPL wrote:As for the others:
1. As I said, mistakes or silly decisions don't really bother me. Characters can make them. Especially if they're in a horror movie, that's pretty much what has to happen. Somebody makes a mistake and all hell breaks loose.
2. The characters were so bland I have no fucking idea what their names are. But I assume you're talking about that insufferable bitch who panics at the beginning when the Deacon is coming out of the guy on the ship. Oh god, I hated that scene. It's one thing to make mistakes but a whole different story when it basically becomes a comedy of errors. She was just the worst.
I can dig mistakes or silly decisions too but to sniff an unknown fungus on a planet you barely discovered is more than just silly. You already have to suspend your disbelief for a lot of shit to happen. To have these sort of moronic moments doesn't help.

And yes, I'm talking exactly about that bitch. Jesus Christ I was in shock. That entire scene was disgustingly terrible. The worst thing is that it happened in the first 45 minutes of the film. Right at the beginning of the second act.

I think I'm more forgiving than you guys when it comes to characters in movies making dumb decisions, as it is deliberate choice made my screenwriters. I just believe that these characters are completely flustered and terrified when something like a baby neomorph is running a muck and you have no idea how to stop it. You're feeling like a chicken with its head cut off. You have no time to slow down, assess a situation and think of the best possible outcome.

The one thing that seriously bothered me was when Demián Bichir and that other asshole was smoking. I forgot what their area of expertise was, but that would have surely pissed off some scientists from the group, and not to mention that they have no idea what that'll cause to this unknown planets eco-system.

Were they even scientists in this film, though? The characters were so THINLY developed, I honestly don't even remember. I have no idea what made them tick, who they were and why I should care. And I get that you could say some of that about most characters in this franchise. But in previous movies the characters had some personality, even the cannon fodder ones. They were memorable. Like Fifield, Janek and Halloway in Prometheus, Clemens and DIllon in Alien 3, Dallas, Kane, Parker in Alien, most of the marines in Aliens, Newt, even Ressurection had cool new characters like Call.

This one only had David and Walter as the only interesting characters. And it's made even worse by how bad the lead was in this. I normally don't like to trash the actors but I think she didn't do the role any favors. It was poorly developed but also miscast. I remember how people were all excited by the photos of her character looking bad ass and referencing Ripley but compared to what we got... Damn, that was probably the biggest letdown of the film.

Ok, I guess Danny McBride was pretty memorable in this as well... but to me, not necessarily in a good way. He has some decent moments, yet there was something off about his appearance in the film. I guess because there are moments in the film when he doesn't truly shake off his comedic persona, and in a film where his
movie wife dies, some of it felt very out of place

BlairCo wrote:The one thing that seriously bothered me was when Demián Bichir and that other asshole was smoking. I forgot what their area of expertise was, but that would have surely pissed off some scientists from the group, and not to mention that they have no idea what that'll cause to this unknown planets eco-system.
Actually that is not an error as they already had analyzed the atmosphere on the planet. They mention it twice. Once before landing. Once right after they landed. They had that down. The same cannot be said about the flora tho. Or wildlife for that matter.