Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
DREAMER wrote:
July 17th, 2018, 11:55 am
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
July 17th, 2018, 11:25 am
i feel like nothing happens in this movie the way it actually did
That's exactly what Brian May and Roger Taylor want.
^ Truth

Malek rises.£

Master Virgo wrote:
October 24th, 2018, 12:24 am
Malek rises.£
his movie's sinking

The fact that One Vision isn't on the soundtrack, let alone the opening of the film means this is an instant fail

More often than not, the film makes you feel like you’re watching a group of talented actors cosplay Queen’s Wikipedia page.
Oof

To be honest, this is exactly what this movie looked like based on the trailers and a clip I saw. It's not surprising at all that, according to reviews, it ended up as a very, very typical biopic. It's sad, though, because Freddie Mercury's character and story is something that would be amazing to dissect and delve into. You can think of Chazelle's First Man as a biopic, and look how it turned out: a riveting, heartbreaking drama of a man. And that's about Neil Armstrong! Imagine if they treated Mercury's life the same way. But Empire magazine pointed out that maybe the living band members and others are "guarding" some aspects of Mercury's life, maybe they don't want to play around with their long-lost friends' public memory. I can somewhat understand that, but what a shame.

DHOPW42 wrote:
October 24th, 2018, 4:47 am
To be honest, this is exactly what this movie looked like based on the trailers and a clip I saw. It's not surprising at all that, according to reviews, it ended up as a very, very typical biopic. It's sad, though, because Freddie Mercury's character and story is something that would be amazing to dissect and delve into. You can think of Chazelle's First Man as a biopic, and look how it turned out: a riveting, heartbreaking drama of a man. And that's about Neil Armstrong! Imagine if they treated Mercury's life the same way. But Empire magazine pointed out that maybe the living band members and others are "guarding" some aspects of Mercury's life, maybe they don't want to play around with their long-lost friends' public memory. I can somewhat understand that, but what a shame.
First Man is indeed a very refreshing way to do a biopic, but don't forget in order to achieve that Singer and Chazelle had to invent a lot of stuff. If I am a member of Queen, I can completely see how I would be uncomfortable taking that direction about a friend of mine, even if it's for higher artistic purpose. (I have heard rumors about this movie doing something similar though.)

This was completely crap. Disney-like emotions, sanitized sexuality and fake history (the band never broke up, Freddie never told them he had AIDS before live 8...basically all the emotion from the climax is completely made up)

And the Live 8 CG crowd was ridiculously bad. Like the worst CGI since the early Harry Potter quidditch scenes. So cheap

Malek was extraordinary though. So sad he's wasted

I honestly thought this was fine. But I'm not huge on Queen. The only songs I know are pretty much the ones that were featured in the movie. Thought Malek did a good job.

I’ve seen it twice now. If you divorce yourself from how historically correct the movie and just watch as the movie itself, it’s very inoffensive and quite enjoyable.