Top 10 Films of 2012

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
1. The Hunger Games
2. The Avengers
3. MIB 3
4. Rock of Ages :facepalm:

I haven't seen a lot of good films so far this year.

1. The Avengers-no commentary necessarily, but it just has the magic of movies with a competent story, well developed characters, surprisingly well done action in a time where many have no grasp on it, and a lot of humor. It lacks any self important quality, but that's fine.
2. Cabin in the Woods-original, unpredictable(at least by the end), funny, and thoroughly entertaining.
3. The Grey-Shockingly moving. It was miss marketed as a flick where Neeson smacks wolves for two hours, but I find it to be some of the best work's he ever done. Certainly the best work he's done in years. Who knew director Joe Carnahan had it in him to make a movie about real men rather than ones with guns or ones that spout out Tarantino like lines.
4. 21 Jump Street-I laughed a lot.
5. Moonrise Kingdom-sweet, charming, and one of Anderson's better flicks in sometime.
6. Haywire-old school premise with an old school score. You can see the action! Carano does exactly what's required of her. Nothing more. Nothing else.
7. Chronicle-its different.
8. Prometheus-disappointing. Ambitious, beautiful, but flawed. The only Scott wouldn't accept such a half baked script. This needed more time in the oven.

Yea.....haven't seen much else. Hated Project X. Hunger Games was solid.

1. The Hunger Games
2. Chronicle
3. The Avengers
4. The Artist
5. Cabin in the Woods
6. The Raid
7. Prometheus

...shite, I need to go out less. :lol:

Prometheus- 9/10
The Secret World of Arrietty- 9/10
Jeff Who Lives at Home- 8.7/10
Game Change (HBO)- 8.7/10
21 Jump Street- 8.5/10
The Avengers- 8/10
The Grey- 8/10
Take This Waltz- 7.5/10

Allstar wrote:Prometheus- 9/10
The Secret World of Arrietty- 9/10
Jeff Who Lives at Home- 8.7/10
Game Change (HBO)- 8.7/10
21 Jump Street- 8.5/10
The Avengers- 8/10
The Grey- 8/10
Take This Waltz- 7.5/10
interesting order... similar haha.

TheExtractorCobb wrote:1. The Avengers-no commentary necessarily, but it just has the magic of movies with a competent story, well developed characters, surprisingly well done action in a time where many have no grasp on it, and a lot of humor. It lacks any self important quality, but that's fine.
2. Cabin in the Woods-original, unpredictable(at least by the end), funny, and thoroughly entertaining.
3. The Grey-Shockingly moving. It was miss marketed as a flick where Neeson smacks wolves for two hours, but I find it to be some of the best work's he ever done. Certainly the best work he's done in years. Who knew director Joe Carnahan had it in him to make a movie about real men rather than ones with guns or ones that spout out Tarantino like lines.
5. Moonrise Kingdom-sweet, charming, and one of Anderson's better flicks in sometime.
6. Haywire-old school premise with an old school score. You can see the action! Carano does exactly what's required of her. Nothing more. Nothing else.
8. Prometheus-disappointing. Ambitious, beautiful, but flawed. The only Scott wouldn't accept such a half baked script. This needed more time in the oven.

About Joe Carnahan, you should see Narc. It is similiar to Grey in the sense that it is an independent small scale movie about a police detective investigating a drug related case. This film showed me what Carnahan is capable of (as Grey proved to other people). Smokin' Aces and A-Team were just fun silly movies.

JohnConstantine wrote:
TheExtractorCobb wrote:1. The Avengers-no commentary necessarily, but it just has the magic of movies with a competent story, well developed characters, surprisingly well done action in a time where many have no grasp on it, and a lot of humor. It lacks any self important quality, but that's fine.

About Joe Carnahan, you should see Narc. It is similiar to Grey in the sense that it is an independent small scale movie about a police detective investigating a drug related case. This film showed me what Carnahan is capable of (as Grey proved to other people). Smokin' Aces and A-Team were just fun silly movies.
That's true. I did like Narc, but it has been so long since he had really made a movie of quality that The Grey was refreshing.

This thread made me realize that I really haven't seen anything I cared for yet this year. The Avengers and Prometheus were mostly entirely forgettable, in my very humble and personal opinion. ;) Hunger Games was decent, Men in Black 3 was surprisingly enjoyable and Chronicle has probably been my favorite so far.

Of course, I still haven't had the chance to see Moonrise Kingdom or Cabin in the Woods. :(

1. Prometheus
2. The Grey
3. The Avengers
4. Safe House
5. Ted
6. The Woman in Black
7. Act of Valor
8. The Dictator
9. Battleship
10. ?

Prometheus was ahead of the others by a wide margin.

1. Tdkr
2. Think like a man
3. 21 jump street
4. Dark shadows
5. Prometheus