Call Me By Your Name (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
spoiler tags bitch

Nomis wrote:spoiler tags bitch
Fixed

American outrage at it's finest.

Have fun, Shauner. European style.

cooldude wrote:
Nomis wrote:spoiler tags bitch
Fixed
thankss

@MyCoCaine: lol I knew he was American

Hammer's character is not from Italy. He should know better. And to him 14 or 17 is not the legal age, so what is he doing seducing an under aged boy? Consensual or not, it's illegal and irresponsible. Regardless of how I felt about that, the film itself is not very good. A sleepy, self absorbed exercise. It took me 3 viewings just to finish the damn thing.

Also, I'm not American if that's what you're saying.

It’s not illegal though, you could argue is it ethical but not illegal.
Again, Oliver is not the one pursuing, plus Elio’s parents seem fine with the relationship.
There seems to be no existing power dynamic that would suggest it’s irresponsible. Not every relationship outside the norm automatically makes it abuse.

shauner111 wrote:Watch all the hypocrites in Hollywood applaud this at the oscars, right after they deliver the heat on Spacey/Weinstein.....
James Woods, is that you?

I'm not gonna lie, the premise does sound like something Bryan Singer would love.

Thought this was super fucking slow the first 45/hour. The third act really saved the movie for me

The problem is how this director doesnt add anything to make the characters go "wait a second..this is really fucked up and unethical". It goes along like it's normal and THAT is the biggest issue I have. I don't know what movie you're watching but it seemed to me like Hammer was the one who was always taking it further and further. It's his responsibility anyway and the whole thing came off as extremely creepy and snobby at the same time. None of the characters were interesting enough for me to want to spend 2 plus hours with..