Beyond The Shadows - Bane fic

Have any personal creations relating to Christopher Nolan and his films? Show it off here.
Baniac wrote:Sandy, in case you haven't read it, there's a chapter before this one on the previous page.

Sixteen

The rest of the morning was spent in the dojo where Temujin painstakingly explained and demonstrated a variety of techniques. Bane expected to quickly master at least the most basic taijutsu, but his instructor proved him wrong. Though he indulged Bane’s attempts time and time again, Bane always found himself pinned, sometimes painfully, by the smaller man. And to make matters worse, Temujin seemed to be playfully enjoying his display of superiority, as were the other students.

“Humility, my friend,” the Mongol said into his ear while uncomfortably restraining Bane’s arms behind him, “is a part of seishinteki kyōyō—your spiritual refinement, the first of the eighteen disciplines of ninjutsu. We have much work to be done there…as well as here.” He tapped a finger against Bane’s head, chuckled then freed his sweating student.

“If you separate my shoulders, meditation is about all I’ll be able to do,” Bane complained drily, carefully flexing his arms. He had separated his right shoulder during his first escape attempt from the pit, an old injury that he had almost forgotten until Temujin’s efforts to turn him into a human pretzel had so rudely reminded him.

One of the doors to the dojo opened, and Akar—a thirteen-year-old Bhutanese boy—appeared. He stood upon the threshold, politely waiting to be noticed, fidgeting with his eye patch. Akar lacked not only his left eye but his left arm as well, having suffered the loss of both years earlier to a wolf attack that had also killed his father. The orphaned child had been found near death, and villagers had carried him to the monastery in search of healing. Akar had been here ever since, helping Jamyang with cooking and other domestic duties.

“Your salvation has arrived, Bane,” Temujin grinned when he saw Akar. “Time for our midday meal, it would appear.”

The scarring on Akar’s face made his smile of assent slightly lopsided. He gave a small bow and retreated to resume his duties.

Bane watched him go while retrieving his shirt. During the weeks of his recovery, Bane had come to know Akar little by little. The boy was notoriously shy, even around Talia, no doubt because of his deformities, but over time he had warmed to Bane, spending a few minutes talking when he would come to Bane’s room with fresh linens for his bed or, more recently, with his meals. Bane figured his own injuries made Akar feel more comfortable with him than with the physically sound men who otherwise surrounded him.

All in the dojo filed out, making their way with much talk and stress-relieving laughter to the common room in the dormitory. The welcoming scent of food—venison in particular—greeted them. Rations at the monastery were a combination of wild game, domestic animals, and foodstuffs carried in from various outside sources. Jamyang and Akar also tended a small greenhouse where herbs and other hardy produce grew with the help of artificial light. Talia took great joy in assisting them. As soon as Bane had been able to leave his bed, she had taken him by the hand to show him the greenhouse. After so many years of subsisting on very little in prison, seeing and tasting such fresh, organic wonders amazed them.

Bane heard Talia’s voice now from above as she left her tutor and descended to the common room. But as she drew closer, Bane did not hear her light tread; instead he heard the booted footfalls of a man, an unfamiliar step. Curious, Bane waited for her instead of directly heading up to his room.

Down the last flight of steps came Damien Chase, a grin on his face and Talia upon his shoulders, laughing at something, her face alight in the room’s dim atmosphere. As usual, her lyrical laughter drew smiles from all who settled around the large table. Bane’s smile, however, died a quick death at the foreign sight of Talia with Chase. Chase witnessed this swift transition, and his own grin broadened.

“Bane!” Talia cried. “What did Jin teach you today?”

The mask’s opiate was swiftly wearing off, and Bane blamed that for his instant irascibility. “I will tell you about it this evening,” he replied as he started past them toward the stairs.

“Bane?” Talia’s tone changed, and he knew that she sensed his mood. “If I come eat with you, you can tell me now. Bane…?”

“Eat with him?” Chase echoed. “You aren’t eating with us, Bane?”

The question halted Bane in the doorway, his shoulders suddenly tight with tension, the pain from his injuries surging. He hesitated an instant before turning, the discomfort making his eyes sting. Chase was setting Talia down upon a bench at the table. Her gaze reflected regret at broaching this subject in front of the others. Though the men at the table were busy filling their plates, talk had subsided, and several glanced his way, including Akar who was pouring water into the men’s glasses.

“I eat in my room,” Bane said plainly, fingers twitching as Chase sat beside Talia.

“Because of the mask?” The American gave a slight snort. “I’m sure many here have seen worse. Your face won’t cause any of us to lose our appetite. Will it, boys?”

An uncomfortable rumble of agreement came from those at table.

“It’s what I prefer,” Bane said coldly.

“Why, these are your brothers now, Bane,” Chase said with exaggerated indulgence as his hand swept in an arc of inclusion. “There’s nothing to be ashamed of. Join us.”

Talia’s worried eyes were large and filled with a mixture of hope and apology.

“Perhaps another day,” Bane said then turned for the stairs.

He stalked upward to his room, fingers still restless, facial injuries searing. A part of him wanted to run to get to the morphine vial so he could inject the drug. But he forced control, focused on his breathing, tried to calm it while drawing upon the last of the mask’s vapor. If he quickened his gait, he ran the risk of his swiftness being misinterpreted by those below.

He cursed himself for his reaction to Chase, especially in front of everyone; thankfully Ducard had not been present. Though Bane’s immediate impression of Chase’s inquisition was negative, he told himself that he did not know the man, that perhaps his invitation had been genuine. Yet Bane’s years of experience reading the subtle signs of other men in prison told him that Chase had been baiting him, expressing dominance like a wolf pissing on a tree to claim his territory.

Bane knew, however, that his blood had been stirred not so much by Chase’s posturing as by the sight of Talia with the American, smiling and laughing as she used to do in the pit when he would carry her upon his shoulders or back, her voice ringing in his ears, reminding him so much of Melisande. Such a reaction to the display was illogical to Bane; after all, since first coming to the monastery he had often witnessed other members of the League interacting with Talia in similar ways. Why had he immediately raised his hackles at the image of this particular man amusing Talia?

Then he remembered Temujin’s words about Chase never loving anyone besides himself. Why would such a man even bother to entertain a child if not for selfish reasons? Yet, Bane wondered, should he operate merely upon Temujin’s opinion? After all, the Mongol had been absent from the League for two years and had known Chase for only one prior to that. Perhaps Temujin’s view was understandably tainted.

Bane hurried into his room. By the time he reached for the bottle in the bathroom medicine cabinet, his hands were shaking so badly that he almost dropped it. He compelled himself to pause, shut his eyes, took a deep breath. Then, with a sterile syringe, he drew forth the dosage. As he extricated the needle, the bottle slipped from his trembling hand and shattered against the sink. Shards of glass and spatters of morphine scattered across the small room. Bane cursed, louder than he desired.

“Are you all right?” Aker’s voice caused Bane to jump and stifle another oath.

“I’m fine,” Bane nearly snapped.

Akar set down the food tray on the bedside table and came to the door of the bathroom. His gentle brown eye measured everything in an instant. “If you would like,” the boy offered, his English tinged with a Bhutanese accent, “I can administer the injection. I know how. Choden showed me…even with just my one hand.”

Bane brushed past him. “I can do it.” Sitting upon the bed, he hastily injected the drug into his vein and closed his eyes, waited those torturous seconds.

Akar set about cleaning the spill in the bathroom.

Bane opened his eyes as the morphine rode in upon him with its relief, taking away his anger as well as his pain. “I can do that, Akar. Go back downstairs.”

“It will only take a moment.”

Bane would have again rebuked him, but he did not want the boy to return downstairs with tales of his boorishness. So, as Akar made quick work of the spill, Bane changed his splattered clothes.

“Did you cut yourself?” Akar asked as he emerged from the bathroom.

“No.”

“Was that the last bottle?”

“I’m afraid so.”

“I will fetch more for you.”

“Akar,” Bane’s call halted the boy at the door. “There’s no need for it right now. This evening before supper will be sufficient.”

Akar nodded then lingered, his gaze cast downward, frowning.

Eager to be alone, Bane asked, “What is it?”

Shifting his weight self-consciously, Akar frowned deeper. “Do you think we’ll ever get used to it?”

“Used to what?”

Akar faltered, almost turned away then said, “The way they look at us.”

Bane sighed, pushed aside his own troubles. He gestured. “Come here…away from the door.”

For a moment he feared that the boy would flee, but at last Akar shuffled back to the foot of the bed. Bane almost invited him to sit down but knew the boy should return to his duties downstairs.

Quietly Bane asked, “When you were attacked by the wolf, it was because you were trying to save your father, wasn’t it?”

Akar’s narrow eye flashed at him in surprise, for he had never spoken to Bane about that day. “I—I don’t remember.”

“I think you do.” Bane paused but saw that the boy would not offer more, and he wondered if perhaps he should not have ventured upon this ground. “When you told others the story, you told them that your father died protecting you. Isn’t that right?”

Another disturbed dart of the eye, then Akar nodded shallowly.

“But it was the other way around, wasn’t it? The wolf attacked your father first, and you tried to save him.”

Akar shuffled one foot, murmured, “I was too small.”

“But you tried.”

The boy nodded, sniffed, swallowed hard. “How did you know?”

“Because you are here and your father is dead. I think the wolf allowed you to live because you were brave, because you were protecting your family.”

Akar looked fully at him now, his jaw loosening. Bane saw the survivor’s guilt—the same guilt that reflected in Talia’s eyes—before it slightly dissipated from the boy.

“So,” Bane said, “the next time one of the men looks at you that way, remind him that you once faced down a wolf. I’d hazard that none of them can say the same.”

Akar did not smile often, but his pleased expression now changed his entire appearance so much that the scarring seemed diminished. He stood straighter.

“Now go on back downstairs or Jamyang will scold you.”

Akar rose on the balls of his feet, as if Bane’s compliment somehow made him larger, more mature. For a moment he seemed at a loss for words then managed, “Thank you, Bane.” He hurried to the door but there halted once again, his hand on the frame. He appeared to struggle with what he wanted to say before asking, “You aren’t afraid of Damien, are you?”

“No.”

Akar smiled again. “Good.” Then he left, closing the door behind him.

(I've posted a pic on my Tumblr of a Bhutanese boy who reminds me of Akar: http://skkeogh.tumblr.com/post/60657420 ... n-the-next)
I think this is a good thing that Bane has a soul-mate in Akar, a little boy who needs the kind of guidance and encouragement that Bane can give him. He certainly isn't acceptable LoS material except as a servant, but Bane knows he is better than the way he is perceived. I love how Bane references the mythology of the wolf. How Cormac McCarthy!

Oh... I can't wait until Bane beats up Damien Chase. Arrogant slimeball...

A part of me wants Talia to go away for five years and return post-puberty. And then maybe Bane can stop fixating on Melisande, the woman with whom he believed he was in love and move forward with a living woman. As much as I dislike Talia, I want Bane to fall in love with her because this fact could not be denied in the movie...

batmanbane wrote: Oh... I can't wait until Bane beats up Damien Chase. Arrogant slimeball...
:lol: :lol: Tell us how you really feel about him, BmB. :D

:lol:
Baniac wrote:
batmanbane wrote: Oh... I can't wait until Bane beats up Damien Chase. Arrogant slimeball...
Damien, I'll bet you have a small penis! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I loved the story of Akar too:-) ( sorry if I misspelled his name;-) One of my favorite parts of this latest installment is when Bane tells him to tell those who stare at him that he once faced down a wolf! Loved that part:-) Damien can go screw himself and take his arrogant attitude with him. Bane you have my permission to bitch slap him;-) Keep it up Baniac:-) I hope too that he will be a mentor to Akar (sp)

Queen of Hearts wrote:I loved the story of Akar too:-) ( sorry if I misspelled his name;-) One of my favorite parts of this latest installment is when Bane tells him to tell those who stare at him that he once faced down a wolf! Loved that part:-) Damien can go screw himself and take his arrogant attitude with him. Bane you have my permission to bitch slap him;-) Keep it up Baniac:-) I hope too that he will be a mentor to Akar (sp)
You spelled it correctly, Queen. ;)

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed the latest.

Ugh, work has been getting in the way of writing lately. Grrrr... :evil: Also, I'm doing another edit pass through one of my manuscripts so that's biting into my Bane time, too. :( And I'm going away for the weekend (at a friend's who has HBO, so I must try to watch Season 3 of Game of Thrones while I'm there. :lol: )

batmanbane wrote::lol:
Baniac wrote:
Damien, I'll bet you have a small penis! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll bet damien has a horse cock and talia probably falls in love with him further jilting our bane

Sandy wrote: I'll bet damien has a horse cock and talia probably falls in love with him further jilting our bane
If that is Talia's criteria, I have a feeling she would have fallen in love with Bane. :lol:

I've been out of town for the past couple of days. Between that and work, I haven't had much time to write, but I'm hoping to have the next installment up by Wednesday. :wave:

Hurry up there are more than eight others of us waiting.....;-)

Queen of Hearts wrote:Hurry up there are more than eight others of us waiting.....;-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, here you go...finally. :roll:

Seventeen

Over the next week, Bane progressed in his training, but the pedestrian pace frustrated him. Temujin had to constantly remind him that patience was required, that no one gained such skills in hours, days, or even weeks. The mask provided further vexation, hindering Bane’s breathing during his exertions, often forcing him to the sidelines. Multiple times he wanted to rip the cursed thing off and throw it at his teacher, especially when Temujin assured him with maddening calm that the next version of the mask would no doubt improve upon this flaw.

“You don’t know that,” Bane had snapped.

“You must have faith,” Temujin insisted. “Choden and Ducard will not give up until you have what you require.”

“What if ‘what I require’ is impossible?”

Temujin shook his head. “There are few things that are impossible if one has the drive and resources to acquire it.” He sat beside Bane on a bench. “Let us take a break. Another hour of meditation before we resume. You need to relax and refocus. You must learn to control these negative impulses, otherwise you will not advance in the way you so desire.”

At least once a day Ducard and Chase—together or singly—would come to the dojo, watching from the wings, speaking quietly only to one another, their gazes intent upon the students. Ducard often adopted his now-familiar stance—back straight, head up, hands lightly gripping the lapels of his tunic or vest. Bane would try to read his gaze, but Ducard was skilled at hiding his reactions to what he witnessed before him. To Bane’s chagrin, Ducard’s visits unnerved him. He found himself trying to impress Talia’s father, thereby assuring him that his decision to allow him to join the League was not a mistake.

Although Temujin viewed this desire as a waste of time, he found a way to use Ducard’s presence—along with the single, silent appearance by Rā’s al Ghūl—as a way to further Bane’s education. He explained, “I want you to use such opportunities to hone your focus. You need to learn how to shut out all distractions.”

Sometimes one of those distractions was Talia. She would find some excuse to slip away from her tutor and her studies and escape to the dojo. Usually she knew better than to make her presence overtly known for fear of being sent back to Sangye. She would mainly hang about in the shadows, but now and then she could not contain her enthusiasm and would either call encouragement to Bane or step forward to challenge one of the students or instructors. Occasionally, to break the intensity of the session, the men would indulge her, as they did this day, allowing her to display her quick, agile moves against opponents who willingly submitted to her skills.

“The young absorb things so much quicker than adults,” Temujin pointed out to Bane as they watched Talia’s swift, well-aimed kicks, listened to her passionate war cries. “They have no true sense of fear and thus they fight with fluid abandon. You, too, must learn this skill, this total belief in yourself and your abilities. You must learn never to question them. To question them is to weaken them.”

“Well, well, well,” Damien Chase’s voice filled the dojo. “What do we have here?”

Bane and the other students, who had been watching Talia from the sidelines, turned to see Chase standing just inside the door.

“So this is where Sangye’s wayward pupil escaped to.”

With a surprised gasp, Talia scrambled up from the mat where her opponent had feigned submission. Quickly she adopted a contrite expression, her hands folded in front of her.

Chase sauntered up to her, grinning. “I figured I’d find you here, princess.”

“Please don’t tell Sangye, Damien. I promise I’ll go back in just a minute.”

He brought a thoughtful hand to his chin. “I’ll make you a deal, princess. If you can pin me in less than five minutes, I won’t breathe a word that I saw you here.”

“That’s not fair,” Talia scowled. “You’re too big.”

“Hasn’t your instructor taught you that size does not matter?”

Her cheeks reddened.

Chase knelt in front of her and held his hands out to either side. “Is this better?”

The men around Bane and Temujin laughed.

Talia eyed the American warily, then could resist his grin no longer, flashing one of her own just before she leapt at him with a shout.

Bane watched as Chase pretended to have great difficulty fending off Talia’s attack. She kicked and parried Chase’s soft blows, dancing around him on light feet, obvious delight shining upon her fierce countenance. Bane tried to take pleasure in the sight of her so alive and happy, but instead he felt uneasy and agitated, fingers twitching.

At one point Chase allowed her to nearly pin him, but then he broke free and scooped her up. She squealed in surprise as he smoothly flipped her head over heels and cushioned her fall to the mat. There he pinned her, laughing along with everyone except Bane as she struggled in frustration.

“Let me up!” she demanded.

Bane started to step forward onto the mat, but Temujin’s swift hand clamped onto his wrist. The Mongol shot him a sharp, staying look.

“Let you up?” Chase echoed. “All right then.”

He stood, drawing Talia with him, and lifted her upside down above his head. Her half-hearted protests quickly turned to giggles. Blood rushing to her face, she looked for Bane, who forced a smile for her benefit.

Temujin stepped onto the mat, saying, “All right, little one. It is time for you to leave us. You must get back to your studies, and we must continue with ours.”

“Now, now, Genghis Khan,” Chase scolded as he set Talia on her feet. “You know the old saying: all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.”

“Then what is your excuse, Chase?” Temujin said with a sarcastic smile.

“Ah, very droll, Genghis. Since you seem to hold me in such low regard, perhaps you could give me a refresher course. Or have you grown soft, lying about in prison?”

Temujin’s smile fled. “I have no time to waste on you.”

“Oh, come now, Genghis. I’m sure Talia would enjoy watching you school me, wouldn’t you, princess? One quick match then she promises to return to Sangye, yes?”

Talia grinned. “Yes, I promise, Jin.”

Temujin seemed on the verge of refusing, but then said, “Very well,” drawing pleased responses from the others, including Bane.

Talia hurried over to stand beside Bane as the two men stripped to their waists. She smiled up at him. “No one can beat Jin, can they, habibi?”

“I hope not,” Bane muttered into his mask, his reply lost among the interested voices around them.

With the combatants’ upper bodies exposed, it was clear who carried the greater muscle mass. To bolster his confidence in Temujin’s chances, Bane harkened back to the day Temujin had arrived in the pit prison. The Mongol had easily dispatched two larger prisoners who had attacked him. Shortly after that, he had defeated—with Bane’s help—those same men who sought revenge with the aid of two others.

Temujin and Chase now faced one another, bodies crouched, hands at the ready. The spectators fell silent, even Talia, as the two men sized one another up, unblinking. All sarcasm had left the big American, replaced by cold intensity.

Chase made the first move, springing forward, but Temujin eluded him. The Mongol did not attempt a counterattack, instead simply waiting, drifting backward. Bane could see the caution in his friend’s eyes, the respect for his opponent’s abilities, as he bided his time. Chase, however, was not so patient. He struck again, and this time Temujin met his attack. Their arms and legs worked together to strike, parry, strike again, but neither man could gain an advantage. They separated, sweat now appearing on their foreheads. Chase circled, Temujin gliding gracefully around to always keep his enemy in front of him, attention never wavering.

For the next five minutes, the two struggled to throw and pin one another. Twice Temujin immobilized Chase for a brief moment, but somehow the man discovered an escape route each time.

“I see you’ve managed to maintain your abilities,” Chase said. “A pity you don’t have the dedication to put them to good use.”

“So you do not consider instruction to be of good use?”

“Guess that depends on who you’re instructing.”

The anger betrayed by Temujin’s face cost him speed in his next strike. This brief hesitation left him too open, giving Chase the opportunity to grasp his right arm with both hands and turn into him. This move unbalanced the Mongol enough for Chase to throw him onto his back. Chase never lost his grip on Temujin’s arm as he dropped to the mat with him. In one fluid movement, the American’s left leg crossed over to pin his foe’s left arm while at the same time locking against Temujin’s neck. Simultaneously Chase restrained his opponent’s right arm against his own chest while his right knee drove into Temujin’s back, forcing the smaller man into an awkward arched position which, in turn, increased the vice-like hold around his neck, choking the Mongol.

Bane expected Temujin to break the hold, but no matter how the Mongol tried, he remained pinned, his face suffusing to purple, the cords in his neck strained. And even worse, Chase showed no signs of freeing him. The man’s eyes gleamed with satisfaction, teeth bared in his efforts to keep Temujin on the mat. Bane’s glance darted to the two other instructors. Concern there, but neither made a move nor said a word. The other students continued to stare at the combatants. Talia shifted beside him, her fists clenched, her face awash in confusion.

“Yield, Jin!” she cried at last, plaintive.

But Bane could see that Temujin had no such plans. And still Chase refused to release him.

“Let him up!” Bane barked, startling the spectators.

Talia looked at him, both worried and grateful.

Chase ignored the order. Temujin choked and gasped, angry eyes bulging.

Bane stormed onto the mat. Grabbing Chase by his waistband and right leg, he ripped him away from Temujin, flung him to the side, scattered those nearby. Bane did not wait for Chase to recover; he charged after him, fell upon him, landed several quick, punishing blows before Chase threw him off. Around him, the dojo had erupted with shouts, including those from Talia and Temujin, but Bane deciphered no words, heard only noise as the rage welling within him found its outlet. He launched himself low at Chase, catching only one leg as the man dodged. He twisted, but Chase did not topple, too well balanced. Instead he fell upon Bane, grappling for a hold. Bane knew to stay down meant to ultimately succumb to Chase’s superior ability to pin an opponent; he could not successfully fight Chase with taijutsu. No, he needed to employ a tried and true method—brutal, uncompromising force.

Summoning more strength than Bane knew he had, he roared to his feet with Chase still latched onto his back. Bane reached behind his head, both hands locking at the back of Chase’s neck. Then he doubled over, throwing the American onto the mat, shaking the floor. Chase, however, still had a grip upon Bane’s shirt, pulling it halfway off in his fall. The American tried to use the fabric to blind Bane. With a backward jerk that half tore, half slipped the garment free, Bane freed himself. Before Chase could drop the shirt, Bane snatched it from him, shoved it over the American’s head like a hood. Thus sightless and flailing, Chase suffered a flurry of blows that drove him to the mat. Bane dropped to his knees so Chase could not grasp his ankles and throw him, his fists striking again and again against the American’s head.

One of Chase’s arms eluded Bane’s two-handed blows. He managed to clutch the back of Bane’s neck, started to drag him downward, closer to his shrouded head so the punches lacked full range and force. Again keen to avoid ending up on the mat, Bane reared back, fought free of Chase’s hold, and thus unwittingly allowed his opponent to slip from beneath him.

Both men rose to their feet at the same time, eyes ablaze, faces red. Bane’s right fist flashed out, but Chase blocked the blow with his left forearm, struck with his own right, a shattering blow to the temple that staggered Bane. A second blow, this from below, striking Bane’s mask, driving it painfully upward, a small hiss escaping from the compromised seals. His eyes watered. With sudden fear, he tried to retreat beyond range, but Chase remained close. The American’s next swing hit the mask full on. Paralyzing pain flooded Bane, stole his vision. His groan turned to a rising growl as he swung wildly to fend off another blow to the mask. Warm, salty blood filled his mouth. From somewhere beyond the blur of agony, he heard Talia’s voice, frightened, shrill.

He no longer saw Damien Chase. Instead he found himself back in the pit, attackers all around him, pressing, suffocating. They dragged him downward, down into blackness, endless, painful blackness, crushed him into silence.
Last edited by Baniac on February 8th, 2014, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.