Jack Nicholson 'Furious' Over Heath Ledger Playing The Joker

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
Just found this interview.... its quite old 2007 ... Some of them probably has seen it ...
But thought it would be worth sharing... [Couldn't find it in this forum]

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/157361 ... oker.jhtml

Excerpts

MTV: What do you think of another actor, Heath Ledger, playing the Joker in next summer's "The Dark Knight"?
Nicholson: Let me be the way I'm not in interviews. I'm furious. I'm furious. [He laughs.] They never asked me about a sequel with the Joker. I know how to do that! Nobody ever asked me.

MTV: It was never brought up?
Nicholson: No. It's like, in any area, you can't believe the reasons things do or don't happen. Not asking me how to do the sequel is that kind of thing. Maybe it's not a mistake. Maybe it was the right thing, but to be candid, I'm furious.

MTV: I'm surprised to hear you sounding competitive about a role like that.
Nicholson: Well, the Joker comes from my childhood. That's how I got involved with it in the first place. It's a part I always thought I should play.

MTV: Will you see the new film?
Nicholson: I'm not inclined to watch it because of what I said. But if it's a good movie, I'll catch up with it somewhere. I don't think they ever really captured Tim Burton's spirit [since he stopped being involved]. They kind of drove the franchise into the ground. Tim Burton's a genius. He had the right take on it. That's why I did the movie. I did the movie based on a single conversation with him. We both come from the cartoon world originally. We had similar ideas. Tim said [the Joker] should have a humorous dark side to him. [Burton is] one of the great moviemakers. I think the world of him. He's the most unassuming man. And he doesn't feel pressure. That's what I love about him. Once he's in there, he's smiling making the movie. That's it!

Yeah Jack Nicholson seems to have no idea that The Dark Knight is completely different to what he's expecting. And since the interview was in 2007 (before the films release) I don't really think it's relevant anymore.

Interesting-ish interview, but ultimately, not really relevant.

I always hated Nicholson's reactions, because they were absolutely non-sense:
MTV: What do you think of another actor, Heath Ledger, playing the Joker in next summer's "The Dark Knight"?
Nicholson: Let me be the way I'm not in interviews. I'm furious. I'm furious. [He laughs.] They never asked me about a sequel with the Joker.
first of all, was he seriously convinced TDK was a sequel? I mean, ok he's in his 70s now, but, C'MON!!
He certainly knows there has been "Batman BEGINS" before this one, how could he possibly think Nolan's movie was a sequel to Burton's first movie after 20 YEARS!
So, the premises for this angry reaction are absent.
I know how to do that! Nobody ever asked me.
Secondly: who or what made Jack Nicholson an "authority" for Joker cinematic representations?? Did he read comic-books? What knowledge has he got that make him the perfect consultant for the role?? He just portrayed the character in one movie, and even that cannot count, because Cesar Romeo played the Joker in 120 tv episodes, but that doesn't qualify him neither.
For The Dark Knight Nolan and Goyer wanted JERRY ROBINSON as a consultant. I think the guy is "a little" more qualified for the job. Besides, Nolan bros are truly passionate for the comic books, and D. Goyer IS a comic book writer.
So Mr. Nicholson wouldn't have been helpful at all. This is just envy for the fact that Ledger, and this new adaptation would become the version for new generations of fans; if he was really sure of his legacy as the Joker, he wouldn't have worried about this.
Nicholson: Well, the Joker comes from my childhood. It's a part I always thought I should play.
based on what, exactly?
Nicholson: I don't think they ever really captured Tim Burton's spirit [since he stopped being involved]. They kind of drove the franchise into the ground.
what a perfect conclusion for his statements. Very professional Mr. Nicholson, judging the work of the new team even without watching a single frame of the movie. :roll:
Fortunately we all know Nolan and Ledger got the right way to describe the definitive Joker for cinema. As well as the best Batman saga ever.

I'm betting he'll be singing a different tune if someone asked him today...

Why quoting him the wrong way?

And why is this subject still around 5 years later?

SMH

Nicholson:

Tim Burton's a genius.
He's right about that part.

Master Virgo wrote:
Nicholson:

Tim Burton's a genius.
He's right about that part.

Slask wrote:I always hated Nicholson's reactions, because they were absolutely non-sense:
Nicholson: Let me be the way I'm not in interviews. I'm furious. I'm furious. [He laughs.] They never asked me about a sequel with the Joker.
first of all, was he seriously convinced TDK was a sequel? I mean, ok he's in his 70s now, but, C'MON!!
He certainly knows there has been "Batman BEGINS" before this one, how could he possibly think Nolan's movie was a sequel to Burton's first movie after 20 YEARS!
So, the premises for this angry reaction are absent.
I know how to do that! Nobody ever asked me.
Secondly: who or what made Jack Nicholson an "authority" for Joker cinematic representations?? Did he read comic-books? What knowledge has he got that make him the perfect consultant for the role?? He just portrayed the character in one movie, and even that cannot count, because Cesar Romeo played the Joker in 120 tv episodes, but that doesn't qualify him neither.
For The Dark Knight Nolan and Goyer wanted JERRY ROBINSON as a consultant. I think the guy is "a little" more qualified for the job. Besides, Nolan bros are truly passionate for the comic books, and D. Goyer IS a comic book writer.
So Mr. Nicholson wouldn't have been helpful at all. This is just envy for the fact that Ledger, and this new adaptation would become the version for new generations of fans; if he was really sure of his legacy as the Joker, he wouldn't have worried about this.
Nicholson: Well, the Joker comes from my childhood. It's a part I always thought I should play.
based on what, exactly?
Nicholson: I don't think they ever really captured Tim Burton's spirit [since he stopped being involved]. They kind of drove the franchise into the ground.
what a perfect conclusion for his statements. Very professional Mr. Nicholson, judging the work of the new team even without watching a single frame of the movie. :roll:
Fortunately we all know Nolan and Ledger got the right way to describe the definitive Joker for cinema. As well as the best Batman saga ever.
Thank you when I saw that Jack Nicholson was furious about not being picked to be the joker I literally thought of every reason you gave as to why he shouldn't be pissed. The only thing I would disagree with is that Nolan's Batman series is the best one. I'm always skeptical to say that one director's version is better than the other, because they're so different that it would be unfair to. I loved the gloomy halloween comic book theme of Burton's movies while I loved the realistic portrayal that Nolan did. Except for Batman & Robin; you can say that any batman film presented to the public is better than that piece of horse shit. I couldn't pick a favorite live-action batman trilogy but I can pick a favorite live-action batman movie, and for me it's tied between the dark knight and batman returns. However, my favorite batman movie of all time is once again another tie between mask of phantasm and sub-zero. No live-action batman film can beat any one of the animated movies.

Nicholson sounds awesome! 8-) I'm curious to know if he watched TDK.

Obviosly the trilogy aspect raises our emotional connection with the character and brings out a lot more that can't be seen by only watching the one film. TDK allows you to pick up right in the middle, but it may lose quite a bit of impact on the viewer. Yes and no